Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego or Coronado? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-or-coronado-348973/)

christm Aug 18th, 2003 12:35 AM

San Diego or Coronado?

Hi Guys

For final 6 days of our honeymoon we are planning on going to San Diego. Had been thinking of the Hotel Del Coronado, but now found out that it's on Coronado Island and not actually in San Diego.

Can anyone suggest whether it would be ok to stay out there or if we'd be better staying in the heart of San Diego?

Thanks

Martin

hsv Aug 18th, 2003 03:26 AM

christm,
in my opinion, this would depend slightly on the season you're going.
Taking it that it is your honeymoon ( and the weather is likely to be reasonably warm), I would definitely prefer to stay in Coronado and at the Hotel Del. It is just a short drive via a toll bridge into downtown S.D. in case you want to get to Balboa Park or the Gaslamp District.
Still, Coronado has a nice small town feeling about it and offers splendid recreation opportunities, one of them the beach right in front (or the backside, depending on how you look at it...) of the Hotel Del.
In general, my preference in San Diego would always be to stay in either Coronado or La Jolla/ Del Mar areas. The freeway system is pretty efficient and thus you can combine the tranquility and relaxation offered by those suburbs with the thrills of a bustling city in an almost ideal way.
Have a great time honeymooning!
hsv

lizzard Aug 18th, 2003 05:39 AM

The Hotel del Coronado IS very centrally located in relation to other parts of SD. It's merely over the bridge which contrary to another post is NO LONGER a toll bridge. From the hotel to downtown SD is only a 10 minute drive (or a 15 minute ferry ride). I would advise staying in Coronado over La Jolla and Del Mar if location is a concern for you.

amyb Aug 18th, 2003 08:13 AM

I stayed at the Hotel del Coronado in April of last year and it was amazing. It is a great location and very quick (much quicker than you'd think) to get to SD. Given the choice, I'd stay there, no matter what the season.

ltt Aug 18th, 2003 08:18 AM

when was the toll taken off the bridge?

travelinwifey Aug 18th, 2003 08:18 AM

Another vote for Coronado. Make sure to request a room in the original building for a more "old San Diego" experience. It is very nice to go sight see during the day and come back and walk around Coronado at night. Coronado is only about 10-15 mins from many attractions like Sea World, DT, and Balboa Park.

Froggy Aug 18th, 2003 08:56 AM

I voted for the Del. The beach there is the best plus as everyone has said easy access over the bridge to San Diego or you can take the ferry from Coronado to downtown San Diego if you want. If you are in San Diego, there is a trolley you can take to Tijuana and there are also trolleys that go all over San Diego to all the tourist locations. There is a lot to see in San Diego and you'll want to rest at the Del after those long day trips. San Diego is easy get around, at least is was for us, since all locations are easily mark on the freeway exits. If you go to the visitor's center in Mission Bay, they have all sorts of information. Enjoy your honeymoon.

As far as the toll, we were on Coronado Is. two weeks ago and there was no toll for the bridge. I have no idea when it was taken off but I do know that if you have 2 passengers in your car, there at one time was no toll. Maybe it's a summer thing.

J_Correa Aug 18th, 2003 09:06 AM

When we were in SD in Feb there wasn't a toll to cross the bridge either.

indytravel Aug 18th, 2003 09:14 AM

I was in San Diego Labor Day last year. There was no toll over to the island. My friend said that this was one promise that the politicians actually kept. When the bridge was paid for the toll was supposed to go away and it did.

Barbara Aug 18th, 2003 09:30 AM

The toll was taken off about a year or so ago.

Martin, the Del would be lovely.

christm Aug 19th, 2003 02:26 AM

OK...Sounds like the Del then.

Someone asked about the time of year - we're going next July, if that makes any difference.

One of the main concerns is that where we stay has a few nice restaurants within walking distance - would the Del qualify for that too?

Thanks

Martin

amyb Aug 19th, 2003 05:03 AM

Martin, it depends on what you're thinking of as "nice." I think if you search this list for Cornonado restaurants, you'll see a thread that was here yesterday where someone mentions a mexican food/margarita place diagonally across from the Del driveway. I ate there and liked it, particularly sitting out on the patio. But there were several other restaurants in the neighborhood, I just wasn't in Coronado at dinner time enough to try them all!

bogart Aug 19th, 2003 05:17 AM

Having just returned from San Diego and visiting most of the usual suspects in and around the city...I would pick La Jolla hands down! We just adored this area and spent a lot of time there...great beach (La Jolla Shores) IMO, better than that in front of the Hotel Del Coronado (too wide and too much seaweed for my likes), La Jolla Cove is wonderful, lots of walking & sightseeing to do here, check out the seals and the tidepools, great restaurants and shopping and if you have a car you are still relatively close to things to do in San Diego proper.

Have fun!