Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego Omni - Qs about parking & restaurants

Jan 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
yk
Original Poster

Will be staying at the SD Omni in early March (thanks to a great deal via Priceline)!.

We'll be there Thurs thru Sunday.

Omni offers valet in/out parking for $26/day, which is quite steep. What are my other options? I read that there are several parking lots near the hotel, but I assume they don't have in/out privileges? What about street parking? Are they metered? Since part of our stay will be on the weekend, do the meters run on weekends?

Also, we'll be celebrating DH's birthday while we're there. Any suggestions on nice restaurant for dinner for Sat night? Obviously, the Gaslamp District will be closest. We like Fusion-type food. No Mexican or steak or Indian. Willing to pay up to $80 per person.

Another thought I have would be drive to La Jolla and eat at George's. Looks like the restaurant is currently closed for renovations but will be open by March. Any idea of how much it'll be for dinner there (we don't drink much alcohol)?

If you have great ideas for the birthday dinner at other places, pls feel free to post them!
Jan 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM

If you like good music and food, I'd suggest Croce's. It is owned by Ingrid Croce, in tribute to her late husband Jim Croce. We had a wonderful dinner there and loved the music.

http://www.croces.com/

We stayed at the Omni and it is a great hotel in a great location. We had parking included in our package and the in/out feature was convenient. Not sure if meters run on weekends. If you got a great deal from Priceline, I would spring for the parking.

Be sure to have breakfast at McCormick and Schmick's which is in the Omni --their "Eggs Benedict" made with crab cakes is to die for!

I found this to be a great info site for San Diego:

http://www.localwally.com/

Hope this helps...
Debi
Jan 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Meters run on saturdays but not sundays, unless you go to Del Mar, who runs them every day, even holidays.

And you have to park at the hotel for in/out. The lots nearby do not hve in/out unless you are a monthly parker.
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks for the info so far. Topping for more suggestions.
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM
TahitiTams

I love the Omni Hotel and I am glad you got a great deal on Priceline!
I have parked at the Omni and have had in/out privileges..especially since you are a guest..street parking is a pain in downtown SD and the meters run till 6pm but not on Sunday.
Georges is open on the terrace which I prefer and it is somewhat reasonable for the view and the food is outstanding..I like a late lunch or a half hour before sunset.
Taka in the gaslamp has some of the best sushi and if you are up in the La Jolla area east of Highway 5 at the Hyatt is Cafe Japengo which is so good..Asian fusion at its best.
McCormicks & Schmicks has $19 Lobster dinners on Thursday..we love going to the bar there..one of the cheapest in town.
Have fun yk!
gaslamp.org

Jan 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM

We stayed at the Omni and the hotel was very nice. The breakfast there was excellent. You can get the trolley right outside the hotel. We didn't see any parking anywhere near there. We ate dinner at Paradisios (spelling might be off) in Balboa Park. The food and park were out of this world. We also walked the gaslamp district, looked at the different menus and picked several places. All were great. It's fun just walking along there.
Jan 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM

The really good restaurant in Balboa Park is the Prado.
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
yk
Original Poster

We're back from our trip.

In brief, there is a parking garage (open 24hrs) just across the street from the Omni. It is the same garage that the Omni valet uses. Valet parking charges $26. When we do self-service parking ourselves, the max we paid for a 24-hour period was $15. The garage is really convenient and safe.

Street parking is very difficult to find in that area because of the proximity to Gaslamp.

We celebrated DH's birthday with dinner at Chive.

More detailed report is here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34966400