San Diego- Marine Room

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego- Marine Room

Going on a trip to San Diego at the end of this month. Having grown up in Chicago with flown in seafood, we want to take advantage of San Diego's proximity to the sea. We've singled out the Marine Room b/c of the added bonus of its view, but I know often a place with a great view jacks up the price of the food but the quality of the food isn't worth it- basically you are paying for the view. Is Marine Room one of these places, and if so where else should I go for the best in seafood San Diego has to offer?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:02 AM

If you want fresh, no-frills grilled fish (fish + vegetable + rice or potatoes), go to The Fish Market downtown on Harbor Drive. Entrees are around $15-20. They also have a variety of sushi and fresh shellfish. Yes, it's touristy with a nice view of the bay, but it's by far our favorite seafood place in the county. We've been there dozens of times over the years and have never been disappointed. You can go upstairs to the Top of the Market--it's more upscale but the quality is just as good downstairs. I have never been to the Marine Room, but I hear watching the waves crash up against the window is quite spectacular. I'll bet the food there is more "haute cuisine" than the Fish Market--depends on what you want. Since the majority of good seafood places are right on the water, it's hard to escape the "pay for the view" factor.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM

The Marine Room is excellent. San Diegois blessed with many good seafood restaurants. Some of my favorites are George's at the Cove in La Jolla, Blue Point Coastal Cuisine in the Gaslamp District, and the Fish Market downtown on the G Street Mole right on the Bay. Other posters will recommend their own faves, however you can't go wrong with the Marine Room.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Jocelyn, I was there on Saturday with my daughter. We arrived at about 4:30pm for a very early dinner, and were seated immediately. By the time we left at about 5:45pm, all the tables were full and the line was out the door!

orangemew, if you go upstairs to the Top of the Market, you can make reservations, but downstairs is first come first served.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Barbara makes a good point about Fish Market not taking reservations. If we go on a Saturday night, we go knowing we'll have to wait at least an hour for our table (unless of course you get there really early like Barbara said). We never mind, though, as it's such a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy the view of the bay, or sit on their back patio/dock sipping a glass of wine. You can also pull up to the sushi bar. Or just go there for lunch and the lines won't be so long.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of the Fish Market- I got a chance to look at their example menu on the website and it seems incredibly fresh! However, I'm not that big of a fan of the simple grilled fish with steamed vegetables- always felt could do the same thing on my own given just as fresh fish to cook with. I want the chef to work it more for me, I want complex flavors!

I have Point Loma Seafoods checked off (um... as the first stop after checking into our hotel) as one of our "casual eatings" of seafood, and I'll be sure to try Mexican with seafood ingredients. But, I also wanted to enjoy some seafood that was a bit more "prepared" for fine dining, thus looking at Marine Room. At one point I considered George's but then leaned towards Marine Room instead because their menu has more seafood choices then George's (there are 4 of us and we ALL want our own fish) + the crashing wave factor. Really though I'm more interested in the menu then the view, which is why I'm fishing (lol) for more suggestions for fine seafood dining.

Sorry I wasn't more specific- I mean the best in fine dining seafood San Diego has to offer!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

AND is my preference towards Marine Room instead of George's at the Cove silly? Am I biased b/c of this romantic idea of crashing high tide waves? I have no idea which has the better food- I'm only going to splurge on ONE of them, not both!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM

At point loma seafoods, you gotta get the smoked yellowtail sandwich! One of my faves! the other suggestions are nice too. I hear bluepoint has great seafood too, never been though.

San diego isn't exactly world famous for it's seaood though. You need to hit up the MEXICAN restaurants

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:38 PM

I am a former San Diego resident. I have to agree the food to have is Mexican Food. Having lived on the East coast for quite a few years, nothing beats the Mexican food experience. Yopu have to try it at least once while on vacation. Forget the seafood, go for Mexican.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM

I don't agree with "forget the seafood," but yes, Casa de Bandini in Old Town is great fun.

I can't believe that the Marine Room would be a waste of time or money. Go for it, orangemew! And even if you are paying mostly for the view, wouldn't it be worth it?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM

There isn't much of a view from George's when it's dark outside. The Star of the Sea Room on Harbor Drive, or Roy's at UTC are other options, but I think you'll be very happy with the Marine Room. There may not actually be crashing waves, though.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:24 AM

What about Jake's in Del Mar? Excellent seafood. Some of the best. And a great view if you get there before sunset.

My other two faves for seafood in SD (besides Point Loma Seafood) would be the Third Corner in Point Loma across from Thee Bungalow. And the Fishery in PB on Cass and Turquoise. These do not have views. But they won't break the bank either, and the chef's do some awesome, creative things with a slab of fresh fish, IMO.

Fish Market is one of my least faves, unless you just want a glass of wine, hot sour dough bread and chowder. The grilled fish just isn't real special, IMO. The view is great. It can get very crowded and expensive.

I have never eaten at Marine Room. Been there late at night for an after dinner drink. There is a huge spot on the waves. Pretty awesome to see at night.