Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego, Loew's Coronado Bay Resort OR Westin Horton Plaza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:46 PM
lisa

Going to San Diego for the first time in late March/early April for 4 nights, 3 days, solo. Planning to see the zoo, the Wild Animal Park, do some shopping, eat in some nice restaurants, maybe get a spa treatment or two, and generally just relax. Originally I thought I'd like to stay in or near the Gaslamp Quarter because I like to be able to walk to shops and restaurants and not to have to drive everywhere, and based on some positive feedback here I made a reservation at the Westin Horton Plaza for $99/night. Now I found out that I can get that same rate at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, which sounds very nice and relaxing, but a lot more isolated. Which one would knowledgable Fodorites recommend? Or should I split my stay, spending 2 nights at each?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:07 PM
peter

You hit the nail on the head. The Westin is right there in the action and the Loews is much more isolated and relaxing. I usually steer people away from Loews because it is so out of the way (on the strand) and is not beachfront. If you can get a good rate at the Coronado Marriott (which is on Coronado itself), that may be better than both of the other hotels. But you may not get that rate. The Westin used to be other hotels. I think a Doubletree. It is not fancy but should be nice and Horton Plaza is a unique outside shopping mall. I would skip the Loews in your case.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:50 PM
sandy

Lisa, The westin is a great location. Right in the thick of things. The Loews is a bit isolated, but it's a really nice resort. Maybe 2 and 2 is a good idea. First shopping and clubs then some R and R. You'll have fun no matter what you decide.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:27 AM
lisa

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm leaning toward staying the first two nights at the Westin & the last two nights at Loews. Anyone else?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:58 AM
xxx

I think 2 and 2 is a good combo. Gaslamp District first, followed by 2 relaxing nights on Coronado. You can take the ferry back and forth if you want to go back into downtown.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Amy

I'm picky about hotels, so I wouldn't be too thrilled about spending time at the Westin, but location may balance off the fact that it's not an especially nice hotel.
You may not spend much time in the room anyway. Plenty to keep you busy in SD.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Mark

I lived in (on?) Coronado and worked in downtown SD. If you like to drive, stay at Loews. Its a bit away (15-20 minutes from downtown), but you get the relaxing
beachy/ocean feel. You're also minutes from mainstreet coronado which is a great strolling town in its own right, plus great ice cream shoppe-Moo Town.
The Westin attaches to Horton Plaza and its nice, but downtown still has its elements, if you know what I mean. An again, if you like to drive, its a fun drive over the cool Coronado bridge into quaint Coronado. Loews is also a nice resort plain and simple with good facilities and services.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Tim

Another vote for the Marriott. Its nicer than all but the original Coronado.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:20 AM
lisa

Unfortunately the Marriott is more than twice as much as the other two, so it's not an option for me.

Amy, when you say that the Westin is not an especially nice hotel, can you elaborate? Just curious as to what you don't like about it.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM
peter

I have never stayed there but I will give you my impression of it. Like I said before, I think it used to be a Doubletree and some other hotel. The Loews and the Marriott are both very upscale - the Westin is mid-scale. I have never heard that it is not a nice hotel. But it will not be luxury.