Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   san diego/la jolla (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-la-jolla-128401/)

brian Jun 6th, 2001 04:33 AM

san diego/la jolla

I am going to be in San Diego and La Jolla for 2 weeks. Where should I stay?

Joe Jun 6th, 2001 06:13 AM

If you are on a Gov't assignment, the cheapest place you can find. Taxpayers thank you. <BR> <BR>If you want help, what are you going to do and what are your interests?

brian Jun 6th, 2001 10:39 AM

i would like to stay near the ocean if at all possible. i was hoping someone would know one of those places that is not expensive that not many people know about, but is still pretty nice.

Hal Jun 6th, 2001 10:56 AM

Brian, I would recommend the Hotel La Valencia in La Jolla. Its a nice property overlooking the ocean and close to shopping. My wife and I were able to book it for $79.00 a nite 3 weeks ago. We used a coupon we got at the visitors center. It has code #RXL79 and can be booked by calling the hotel directly. Hope this helps!

paul Jun 6th, 2001 11:06 AM

The La Valencia is a first class hotel with regular room rates starting around $250 per night up to $1,000 per night. Its hard to believe a $79 rate but if it exists, grab it fast. Brian, if you want to stay in La Jolla, be prepared for expensive hotels. You may want to state your price range.

brian Jun 6th, 2001 11:59 AM

thanks for the help. basically, all the rates depend on whether or not the hotel offers government rates. surprisingly, some nice ones do, but you usually get a nice view of a wall, but sometimes you get lucky. i'll check out the hotel valencia though.

allen Jun 6th, 2001 12:19 PM

The Hilton Resort at Mission Bay might offer govt. rates, we got them for our stay there. Its a very nice property and I would stay there again. However, although on the water of Mission Bay, it is not on the ocean. There are nice parks on either side of the property and it is a quiet location.

Cory Jun 6th, 2001 12:48 PM

Hi Brian, <BR>I LOVE SD and have been there many times. The last couple, I stayed at the Sufer Motorlodge. I know what you are thinking, and it's not the fanciest hotel. But I researched all the hotels in SD before I went and found out that Sufer is the only one ON Mission Boardwalk (you can spit on the beach from your balcony). It's down in the heart of all the really fun bars and great restaurants. It's only around $80 a night too! I'm not sure about the govmnt rate, you'd have to call. La Jolla is nice, I've stayed there too...but pretty fancy. Too fancy for me. <BR>Hope I helped!

Nancy Jun 6th, 2001 03:24 PM

We first stayed at La Valencia in 1989 and didn't return until 2000. We booked a special room with a big walkout patio at the top of the hotel. Were we ever disappointed at the way the hotel has deteriorated over the years. Cigarette burns on the chair arms, fabric nearly worn through, very worn carpeting, tinier bathroom than I remember the first time...barely could turn around in it. <BR>For $79 would I stay there? Sure. <BR>For anywhere near rack rate? Not until I hear it's undergone a major refurbishment.

brian Jun 7th, 2001 12:25 PM

all right. i found some things out in case any of you were wondering how i was making out. i am staying at a chain hotel in la jolla, which is close to where i'll be working. unfortunately it's not right on the beach, but oh well. i am also staying at the hyatt islandia, which is in the bay and near sea world. i am staying one night in the gas lamp area too. lastly, i am camping at the wild animal park - just because. it was hard to find really cool places that were reasonable. i'm sure it will be fun though. what does anyone know about going to tijuana by myself - good or bad idea? i have heard both.

ben Jun 7th, 2001 07:15 PM

Depends on what you're looking for, Bri. <BR>Cheap tequila, cheap women for hire and more social diseases than a Jamaican leper colony. Lots of young gringos head down there at night. Mind your whereabouts and you'll be OK. But it's not exactly the Newport Yacht club.

paul Jun 8th, 2001 05:11 AM

You should have no problem alone in tj. You can drive into tj or park in us and walk across the border. Many people just take the trolley to the border and walk across. Then you can walk to the town or take a cab. tj is a border town and they will try to sell you the shirt you are wearing. But its generally safe.

Joe Jun 8th, 2001 06:02 AM

Skip Tijuana unless you want filth and debauchery. If you want a Mexican experience, drive south (about 20 miles) to either Rosarito or Puerto Nuevo. There are even decent hotels if you want to stay. <BR> <BR>Tip: When crossing back into US avoid weekends after 4:00pm or so.

brian Jun 8th, 2001 07:53 AM

thanks for the advice. do you know anything about mexican towns near phoenix?