Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SAN DIEGO - in Summer w/ 4 year old - hotel/area advise

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are tagging on a short vacation to San Diego after a business trip to LA in August. I am looking for advise/opinions on where to start our search for accomodations.

This will be a basic sight seeing trip taking in all the things a preschooler likes - ie: the zoo, seaworld, beach.....

What I need advise on is an area to concentrate my search - I would like someplace that feels "safe", not overrun with the college/teenage set, someplace that feels unique - not over run with hotel upon hotel (all though that may be impossible in sunny California).

We tend to like the higher end quaint hotels vs. chains or better yet a fabuouls B&B or Boutique hotel that is still kid friendly. A pool would be a plus since is will be August and/or close enough to walk to a nice beach.

Any suggestions? Price will probably not be a deciding factor - we are really looking for the right feel.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM

I think Coronado is a nice place to vacation with a young child. It is very safe, family oriented. You can rent bikes and ride around (it is very flat and easy for all ages to bicycle), there are many parks, the beach is beautiful and safe. The Coronado Public Library has wonderful activities for children, right across the street from a lovely park with nice play equipment. Every Sunday evening they have music in the park and the whole town shows up with kids and grandparents in tow.

Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, are great for the college set.
The La Jolla Shores is nice too, but you need a car to get around and it is not as self-contained as Coronado.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Our kids enjoyed Paradise Point Resort years after years. And it meets a lot of your criteria.

It's located on a 44-acre private island on Mission Bay, right across from Sea World. Single-level bungalow units, 5 swimming pools, 9-hole putting greens, ducks & birds in ponds & gardens, tennis, croquet, basketball, private beaches & lots of grassy areas for kids to run around. It was just perfect for our kids! In fact, we are going back for a family reunion in a couple weeks!

www.paradisepoint.com
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:21 AM

I second the recommendation for the Paradise Point Resort. They have a pool with a sandy entrance which kids like. I would also look in the La Valencia in La Jolla. It is one of a kind right in the middle of the La Jolla Village. You might also want to try the la jolla beach and tennis club right on the water at La jolla shores. A playground is nearby. I would stay out of pb if you are trying to avoid the college crowd and out of mission valley if you are trying to avoid cookie cutter hotels.

Another place is Del Mar, the hotel starts with Auberge...... It is near a park my kids love and there are lots of restaurants and shopw within walking distance. If the race track is in season it might affect traffic.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM

hope you enjoy your trip to san diego. you can't go wrong - let us know how everything turns out.