San Diego: Humphreys Half Moon Inn or Paradise Point A

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our first 'family' vacation in April with our daughter who will be 3 1/2 months. Which property would you recommend? We are seeking relaxation, a spa, a nice pool, good service, a baby friendly atmosphere and a nice clean room with a kitchenette or micro/fridge combo. Close proximity to baby friendly restaurants is also desirable. We are from the NE and really don't know San Diego well. Since we this is a combo grandpa visit/mini-vacation, we will be staying only 3 nites and will most likely book a jr suite.

Thanks for any advice/info/recommendations!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:31 PM

How in the world do you have time to read and post here with a newborn baby! Congrats on the baby - must be a reasonably well behaved kid to even consider taking a trip in a few months.

We stayed last August at Best Western next door to Humphreys. No baby-friendly restaurants within walking distance. Still, Shelter Island would be a nice place to walk with a baby in a stroller - nice walking/running path along the water.

We are from Boston and found roads and signs in San Diego incredibly easy to navigate. Also, being from northeast one would think southern California would be hot and sunny. We discovered this is not so for San Diego. Check weather.com for avg temps in April - it will likely be in the 60s/maybe hit 70 - so nice pool might not be relevant.

Good luck seeking relaxation with young baby - maybe new grandpa can babysit for a bit - then you can relax!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love both hotels! Can't go wrong!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Both hotels are semi-isolated resorts with very few other establishments within walking distance. This is especially true of PP.

That said, they're both very centrally located within driving distance of other hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions.

I have not stayed at either, but I have been to both. If you want more of a feeling of "getting away from it all", I would suggest PP.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:02 PM

HI, I have stayed at both and really like both for different reasons. But for your particular situation I would go for Paradise Point. I believe the rooms are a little bigger and the property that the hotel is on is bigger and roomier. Also has a better beach and beach "feel" to it. Most all rooms have patios, so it is easy to go outside and read the paper and drink coffee and get a litte privacy.

Humphreys also has patios and balconies but I recall it as being a little more cramped. With PP you are pretty much at the mercy of the resort, but they have a sundries store in the gift shop for little things. We used to stay at PP with our young children all the time. We loved it.

Another thing about Humphries is that at certain times of the year they have outside concerts. Might want to check if they will be going on at the time. They do have a nice view of downtown that is hard to beat.

Is there much difference in the price? Niether would be wrong. My opinion though, is that PP would be more suitable for babies. More space, more privacy, more elbow room. And you can pull your car up to the room which is good when you have equipment. Good luck.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:49 PM

What Heavens says about PP is all true but I just returned from 3 nights there and barely made it three nights. We are not the only ones to complain about the rooms there being old, shabby, moldy and musty smelling with ants. I would never have a baby spending time in those rooms. I wish I would have believed the reviews I had read before I booked that resort. Maybe they have newer accomodations than we saw, but I would seriously look into it before booking PP.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM

We haven't been to Paradise Point, but stayed at Humphreys Half Moon Inn 10 years ago. I was preganant with our second child and our daughter was almost 3. We had a lovely time there. The pool was nice, and there was a mother duck and her ducklings that paraded around the grounds which was very entertaining. The adjoining restaurant was very good, and we managed to have a relatively calm few meals there (tasty food, but not overly quiet -- good when you have youngsters!). Location is right next to the marina. Altogether, highly recommended. Good luck!