Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego Hotel - Which One Is Right For ME? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-hotel-which-one-is-right-for-me-266642/)

Keith Oct 17th, 2002 11:44 AM

San Diego Hotel - Which One Is Right For ME?

I am looking for a hotel near the convention center. I would like a bay view room. Price is not an object and a romantic setting is preferred. Any suggestions on where to stay in San Diego? Thanks

Melissa Oct 17th, 2002 12:45 PM

I doubt you'll find romantic by the concention center. I'd go for the Hyatt Hotel and Marina. The restaurant at the top is a huge date place for those looking to impress...great views of the bay.

x Oct 17th, 2002 02:16 PM

hyatt is a good choice if price is no object but downtown does not say romance,

Jerry Oct 17th, 2002 06:52 PM

Nothing romantic in the entire area Keith. Big business and chain hotels only. The convention center is not in a romantic part of the city.

Janet Oct 17th, 2002 07:07 PM

The Hyatt is beautiful, but they are building another tower now. Downtown is great, you are rignt by the trolley, the gaslamp with tons of good restaurants. seaport village, lots of nice bars. There is a new Hilton also right around that area. You are also close to great shopping at Horton Plaza. I'm amazed that someone does't think its a romantic place and there are plenty of nice hotels.

Jerry Oct 17th, 2002 08:50 PM

<BR>Keith, if you want something with ambience, something nicer and more memorable, you need to go over to Coronado Island.<BR>The area by the convention center is not too pretty. Nearby Horton Plaza/Gaslamp area is a touristy shopping area (not romantic by my definition). Seaport Village has nice views. There is not a hotel rated in the top 300 in the USA in the entire city of San Diego (excluding Coronado Island geographically). The marina hotels are virtually all big chain hotels catering to conventioneers and non-resort tourists.<BR><BR>

x Oct 18th, 2002 06:55 AM

there is a best western with views of the marina but it is nothing special.

Julie Oct 18th, 2002 09:52 AM

Stayed at the Marriot on Coronado Island<BR>in July....Coronado Island is beautiful<BR>and just across the Bay (from downtown.)<BR>The Hotel del Coronado looked very nice<BR>also...it is a mile or so on the Pacific<BR>side of the island. The Marriot is a hop<BR>skip and a jump from the downtown area..<BR>but the "del" might be more romantic..<BR><BR>Good Luck!

ttt Oct 28th, 2002 08:50 AM

to the top

Barbara Oct 28th, 2002 09:28 AM

Keith, take a look at the Horton Grand. It is in the Gaslamp District, close to the convention center. Also look at the Westgate Hotel, also downtown. I'm not sure either would have a bay view, though.

toppers Nov 5th, 2002 04:41 PM

ttt

top Nov 20th, 2002 08:31 AM

to the top

Jess Nov 20th, 2002 09:15 AM

To whomever is topping this...the exact specifications required are not fulfilled by any hotel in SD.<BR>That's why you're not getting a boatload of replies.

bev Nov 20th, 2002 09:16 AM

Loews Coronado Bay Resort!<BR><BR>