Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego hotel - budget friendly (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-hotel-budget-friendly-901587/)

rizzo0904 Aug 5th, 2011 05:49 AM

San Diego hotel - budget friendly

Headed to San Diego in March with 2 toddlers....ages 2 and 3.5. Plan on visiting the zoo, seaworld, and maybe legoland. Looking for a budget friendly and clean hotel. We won't spend much time there so I don't need anything fancy. Which areas/neighborhoods should we be looking in? Thanks!

egnolive Aug 5th, 2011 06:55 AM

What is budget-friendly to you?

rizzo0904 Aug 5th, 2011 08:55 AM

I'd like to stay below $130 per night. I've stayed in $40 places...but I don't see that happening in San Diego :) I just want something clean, in a good location, and breakfast included would be nice...just makes life easier with toddlers.

I can get the Residence Inn La Jolla or the one on Mesa Kearney Road for $110/night and the Mission Valley one for $130/night. Are any of these locations better than others?

rizzo0904 Aug 5th, 2011 08:58 AM

The Days Inn on Rosecran St/I8 is only $75/night.

tracys2cents Aug 5th, 2011 11:18 AM

La Jolla would be a good location near San Diego, and not far from Legoland. Holiday Inn Express in La Jolla is nice. Residence Inn is fine if it's le$$ but it's one of the oldest Residence Inns, I'd check to see how recently it's been renovated and upgraded.

DebitNM Aug 5th, 2011 11:22 AM

I take it you are going to have a car? That makes a big difference.

Suzie Aug 5th, 2011 11:49 AM

Just got back yesterday from a road trip that included San Diego. Stayed near Sea World and thought Rosecrans was a very busy street. It may be kind of loud at that Days Inn.

tchoiniere Aug 5th, 2011 11:57 AM

Check the Bay Club on Shelter Island. I have stayed there a lot and it includes breakfast

catsandra777 Aug 5th, 2011 12:28 PM

Mission Valley area along highway 8 has some reasonable places

catsandra777 Aug 5th, 2011 12:36 PM

I'm sorry in mission valley we got Hawthorne Suites $68 in june(has even kitchen) we loved it and it's away from freeway up on hill so you hear nothing. It's around 3 miles to seaworld and of course legoland is 45 min. as it's not in San Diego. Be sure to pick up discount tickets at grocery stores

sf7307 Aug 5th, 2011 12:47 PM

That's a great price for Hawthorne Suites. We stayed at La Quinta in Mission Valley this past weekend and paid closer to $175. San Diego was mobbed (supply and demand!)

Lateagain Aug 5th, 2011 01:31 PM

I can second Hawthorne Suites as we stayed there last year. The room was fabulous, clean and large and very quiet. Very comfy bed. It had a separate living room area with sofa and table and chairs.very comfortable stay. We were there for 4 days and would not hesitate to stay there next time we are in San Diego. I can't remember what we paid but it would have been reasonable as we were travelling on a budget.

rizzo0904 Aug 6th, 2011 03:19 AM

I check out Bay Club, which looks great, but they have no availability for my dates :(

Will check out Hawthorne Suites now.

I was told to avoid Chula Vista...is there anywhere else to make sure I avoid?

qwovadis Aug 6th, 2011 03:35 AM

betterbidding.com Search San Diego and Calender of winning bids

Even 4 stars like Hyatt lajollaseaside.com best for me

last from $99 bidding priceline.com excellent values there.

Getting good non bid deals Otel.com lately