Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego - Have You Stayed at US Grant Hotel or Westgate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the spur of the moment, I decided to join my husband on a business trip to San Diego first week in October. I've been a few times, mostly kids and sports related. We're not interested in the zoo, Sea World or spending time on the beach.

We'd like to see the USS Midway and the Maritime Museum. A few nice restaurants nearby would be nice, but I'm not a foodie. Shopping nearby would be good.

We're trying to decide between the above hotels. Has anyone got personal experience with either of them? They both seem to get mostly good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Your help is appreciated!

CY
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM
TahitiTams

Hi CY..
Just stayed in a gorgeous suite at the US Grant over Memorial Day weekend...
Had a wonderful time and the room was wonderful..
They had a huge $60 million renovation..
Grant Grill is really good too.
I have only eaten at Le Fontainebleau at the Westgate, which is a great classic french restaurant.
I have seen some great deals on Expedia for around $200+ for rooms at the US Grant.
Perfect location for either hotel..they are right next door to one another.
Have a great time in SD!

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tahititams. I have booked rooms at both hotels (cancellable) until I make up my mind.

Since you had a suite at the US Grant, I assume you had an upper floor room? I'm considering re-booking for an upper floor room because I read there is a lot of traffic noise on the lower floors. Can you tell me your experience?

thanks,

cy
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM
TahitiTams

cy..
Used a ton of Starwood points and got 3 nights comped and it helped to know the GM, so got even more upgraded.
The traffic noise had its moments but I was on the 6th floor facing Broadway.
Are you a Starwood member?
Did you try Expedia or direct to see what prices are vs. Westgate?
The suite we had was wonderful with the great beds, linens and we had a living room with dining room and large foyer.
I love a hotel that has been recently refurbished..new is good.
The valet parking was pricey but par for a downtown location.
You state you are not a foodie but there are some great restaurants in the Gaslamp area.
Happy to answer any questions you might have.

gaslamp.org

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, TT -

I checked both of these hotels on Expedia first but got the same (or better) rates by reserving directly with each.

We are longtime Starwood members but do not have enough points to use for this stay. I found a rate of $249/night including free valet parking for the Superior Double/King Room. No prepay. No cancellation penalty until day of arrival.

I'm considering going to the $349/night for the upper floor room but I don't know if it is worth it. I, too, love the idea that the hotel is new - that alone is a huge draw for me. So I'm thinking that maybe the newness alone will compensate for any traffic noise (I usually end up wearing ear plugs to block out my hubby's snoring anyway, lol!).

The other choice is the Westgate at $209/night, parking extra. So, they're about the same price. I think the US Grant looks nicer and I always have loved Westins.

What was the Horton Plaza shopping area like? What kind of stores are there?

Thanks for the link, too. I'll enjoy looking it over.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
TahitiTams

cy..
Do the $249 a night and save $100 and ask for an upgrade when you check in and of course let them know you are a Starwood member..free valet..if I remember, it was $39 a day plus tip.
I really enjoyed the US Grant..very stately hotel and of a elegance long gone for hotels.
Horton Plaza is great for shopping.
You can walk to pretty much everything and let me know if you need any food help..I am a foodie!
The weather will be gorgeous..

sdhe.com

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Have stayed at both. I would choose the US Grant because it is historic (and reportedly haunted )

Won a 4 night stay at the Westgate through luxurylink.com and stayed at the US Grant two months ago. Check skyauction.com, both of these hotels regularly appear to bid on. Westgate's decor is old world French-European and the US Grant is more modern with black and whites and dark wood.

There's a movie theatre at Horton Plaza and a Nordstrom. You can catch a hop on/hop off bus tour from HP. Otherwise the shops are mid-range. There is a very good french sandwich shop with really good breakfast crepes right next to HP. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Here's another thread about the US Grant after renovations:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35023179
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
TahitiTams

Hi travelinwifey,
Having had my share of ghosts in my life, I love that you love this hotel for it being haunted..I didn't see anything but read the link you provided a couple of months ago.
The only hotel that I stayed at that was super haunted was the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua..
Love that you won a trip on Luxury Link..I won a Australia trip on Conde Nast, so I love to enter those conteests because someone has to win!
cy will have a great time at the US Grant..Grant Grill is delicious too!

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelinwifey and TahitiTams. I think we're going with the US Grant.

I didn't realize it was haunted - hmmmm..... a bonus! (I was in a very old hotel in Amsterdam when a ghost came to visit - scared the crap out of me at the time but now it's a great story.)

I appreciate the help!

cy
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Hi Connecticutyankee,

Funny, I'm from Laguna Beach (just up the road from San Diego) and we'll be heading to CT that week.

I've only stayed in the Grant, and it was about 4 years ago. What I remember was being really hot (as in temperature) but we probably had the worst rooms as we Pricelined it.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi skateboardmom

We actually live in So Cal, though I was born and raised in CT. I've just never spent any time in San Diego as a tourist and wanted to check the hotel before we booked.

I never make a move without my Fodor friends!

cy
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

The US Grant was closed for 1 1/2 years until mid 2006 and had a 50 million dollar make over. It was previously a 3* Priceline hotel and if it is a PL hotel now it will be at a higher rate than the other hotels that come up frequently.

Tahiti Tams, I only wish that we won a free trip to San DIego, luxurylink is an auction website for hotels and we won through bidding against other travelers. I am so happy to hear you won a free trip to Australia, that would be the trip of a lifetime! You are so fortunate! Every now and then you read on Fodors that some posters have won free trips but never to such an exotic locale like OZ. Congrats, you've given me inspiration to enter those contests I think I have no chance at!

Have a great trip Connecticutyankee, let us know how it went! Ps, we also went to the USS Midway, my husband's dad was in the Navy in San Diego for many years, he actually served on the Midway years ago. After the exhibit started in SD my FIL said he didn't need to see it as he remembered exactly what it looked like It's a very nice attraction.

Have a great trip!