Reload this Page >

San Diego for 7 days

Search

San Diego for 7 days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Holly

San Diego for 7 days

My boyfriend and I are planning a two week vacation to LA and San Diego in August. We are planning on visiting the zoo and Disneyland and some state/national parks in the area. That's all we have planned, so can anyone offer some other suggestions. We're renting a car and staying at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort. Thanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Jay

There are so many things to do in San Diego! I live in Coronado and highly recommend trying Peohe's restaurant while you are there - excellend lobster springrolls as appetizers. Great view as well. I would also suggest that you check out the Wild Animal Park north of San Diego - The animals run free there and you can get closer to them. What kinds of things are you looking to do? I've got lots of suggestions.....

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Barbara

The various museums in Balboa Park are interesting and there is a good restaurant there now, too. You could drive north to Temecula and visit the wineries. Depending on when you're here in August, the Air Show might be on at Miramar Marine Air Station. It's always good, but very hot! The Padres might be in town (baseball) and the Chargers (football) might have a pre-season game. You will probably enjoy strolling, shopping and eating in La Jolla. As Jay said, what kind of things do you like to do?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Leah

Jay, May I jump in on this post? Our family of 4 are coming to San Diego this July and I have a question about Coronado that I have been wanting answered. Could you help me? We are staying downtown but plan on taking the ferry over to Coronado for some beach time. Which of the beaches would you, as a local, suggest? Also, can you rent chairs for the beach or do I need to make sure we bring something to sit on? I can hardly wait for our trip. I have wanted to visit San Diego for YEARS and this year the airfare finally dropped low enough for us. Also, what are your favorite "casual" dining spots downtown? Much thanks for any help you are willing to give...... Leah

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:18 PM
notjay

This is not jay but let me help you. There is really only one beach on Coronado that is on the other side of the island where the Hotel Del Coronado is located. It is a long public beach that goes North and South of the hotel and most of the locals will be south. But its basically all the same beach. I have never seen anyone renting beachchairs. The beach is a couple of miles from the ferry so plan on getting a taxi. I would consider 95% of dining in San Diego casual. Here are some of my downtown favorites: Fish Market, Royal Thai, Sammys Woodfired Pizza, Panda Inn, Dakota and Pannevino.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Glenda

If you are the outdoor type I would recommend two parks that we love to visit when we are there, Mission Trails Regional Park and Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve. They would be pretty hot in August though so you probably should plan these walks for morning. Border Field State Park on the Mexican Border is also an interesting place with an amazing view as is Cabrillo National Monument at Point Loma. A drive up to Julian makes a great day trip and takes you to a completely different climate.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Leah

Thank you notjay! I appreciate the help.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:04 PM
TC

A great evening is seeing the comedy "Triple Espresso" in the Gaslight District. Everyone I know who saw this three man show is still laughing. We had a great Spanish dinner just across the street from the theater, too. Sorry I can't recall the restaurant's name. Maybe some of the San Diego posters can help with that.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Joe

I would definitely spend a day at the Old Town/Presidio area, go mid-week if you can. Great little shops, restaurants, and some historical sites. I also recommend Torrey Pines State reserve for hiking trails on bluffs over looking the ocean.

No LA suggestions yet, but if you are near the San Pedro area for dinner, eat at Papadakis Greek Tarverna or Babouch (Morrocan) for great fun and food.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Bonnie

Since someone posted about beaches in San Diego I will add my thoughts. On my last trip to S.D. I stayed at Pacific Beach. It was incredible. I love Coronado but the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, surfers, casual atmosphere of Pacific Beach is fantastic. I would do Coronado for the Hotel Del, bike rides, Peohe's, and charm- but I would do Pacific Beach for the California feel.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Mary

I also recommend the San Diego Wild Animal Park, but it is 35 miles from downtown San Diego so you need a car. But, I recommend reserving space on a Safari Truck ahead of time. It is $95 per person (otherwise you would only pay $25 for park admission), but on the truck safari you will see African animals up close, even hand feed giraffes and rhinos.

Also, Sea world is one of the best animal parks I have ever visited. They also emphasize close contact with animals such as dolphins, sea lions, rays and tide-pool creatures. Their shows (the kind that can be deadly dull at other parks) are exciting and sometimes really funny. The funniest is the sea lion show.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Holly

Thanks for the posts! I'm looking forward to our trip!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Bill

Best thing we did in San Diego last October was the Sunday Champagne Brunch Cruise aboard The Hornblower Cruise Lines. The food was terrific, along with the service, and you couldn't beat the views of the city and naval ship yards while on the cruise. Don't miss Balboa Park or The Gaslamp District, either!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:27 PM
maybe jay's neighbor

If you're in coronado, one of the best things to do is rent a bike and just ride around. The beach,the homes and gardens are fun to look at, and as the island is like 13 blocks across, it is the way all the locals get around. My favorite casual place for breakfast is Primavera pastry/ coffee at 956 Orange Avenue. The have the best eggs!You can sit on the sidewalk and people watch as you eat.
Peohes is great, and on the water,so you can catch a foot ferry across to San Diego afterwards. Also in Coronado, Lamb's Players theatre will have a good show.
If you want some foreign adventure, go across the bridge and take the trolley (or drive straight down the strand from Coronado) to the Tiajuana border. Park on the american side or leave the trolley at the end and walk across. You can take a taxi or bus to downtown Constitution/Revolution avenues. (actually, these days the shops start right after teh border, but I prefer to get downtown, then walk back shopping.)Mens shoes are nice and very cheap, wool blankets and leather goods are cheap or you can just buy tacky knock- offs of designer purses. Have a drink at the long bar, then come home before dark! One of the best eating places is the bowling alley.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:45 AM
JB

There is lots of do in America's Finest City, San Diego. I am originally from East Coast and live here now, love it!
Depending on what you want to do, here are some thoughts: Zoo, SeaWorld, Wild Animal Park, Cabrillo Monument State Park, Old Town, LaJolla, Coronado (see the Hotel Del and have their Sunday Brunch is you like elegance and architecture), Beaches. Orange County, Newport Beach and Balboa Island, Disneyland, California Adventure, Knotts, Wax Museum to mention a few things. LA Area, San Pedro, Long Beach Acquarium. Hope I have given you some good ideas. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:55 PM
Steve

We're English and liked Southern California so much when we visited 2 years ago we decided to return this August. Here are just a few additions to the good advice already given -

Try the Thoroughbred Races at Del Mar, or maybe visit the Queen Mary ocean liner at Long Beach. Also, the San Diego Chargers have a pre season game against the San Francisco 49'ers on Saturday the 11th August.

Let's hope we all have a good holiday!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Kimmie

Hey Holly,
You'll have a blast in San Diego. I went last year, and already have a date set to go beack this July!
San Diego has endless possibilities! One thing you can do is rent a bike and ride around Coronado. Since our hotel (Sheraton San Diego harbor), isn't on Coronado, we rented bikes from the hotel and took the ferry across the bay to Coronado.
Another great thing to do is snorkeling.
At La Jolla Cove, they reserve the whole tide-pool/beach for snorkeling. I recommend bringing your own mask and snorkel, because, being in La Jolla, to buy your own equitment can get pricey.
Hope you have a great time!
PS-I liked the Fish Market on the bay, and a little italian restaurant on the sidewalk of La Jolla.
If you need anymore help, you can contact me at [email protected]
KIM