Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego/best hotel on water (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-best-hotel-on-water-635888/)

tennislvr1 Aug 1st, 2006 05:43 PM

San Diego/best hotel on water

Ok, guys...I know we "visit" the subject of San Diego alot on Fodors, but I just can't make up my mind about an upcoming trip.
We're dropping our son off at college at SDSU in late August and we want to stay a few days at a nice hotel on the water somewhere in SD. We've stayed at Coronado (nice) but we're looking for something fun and different. La Jolla seems nice, have never tried it and would love to stay there, but would also like to try something near Sea World. Everything I've seen on Fodors seems to be geared toward traveling with kids to San Diego.
Since our son is going to be a sophmore, we've made several trips to SD, but this time we wanted to do something "fun" and celebrate the fact that we will no longer be sharing a house with a teenager when we return home (just kidding - we will miss him). We are just thrilled that he chose a college in such a great town!!

marrsbar Aug 1st, 2006 06:10 PM

They Hyatt Manchester is downtown so not exactly by Sea World or La Jolla but it is a very nice hotel in a great location. It is famous for the bar at the top with a spectacular view of the city. It is walking distance from Seaport Village and very close to the 5 freeway. La Jolla would be a great place to stay, there is a Hyatt Regency there and so much to do in La Jolla.

diann Aug 1st, 2006 06:19 PM

I would choose La Jolla. It is a quaint gorgeous seaside town. It has been many years since I resided in S.D but La Jolla was always a favorite of mine. There is the Sea Lodge at la Jolla shores, and La Jolla shores hotel. I think both or one of them are right on the beach. Perfect for the month of August. I would seek a hotel on the beach. There is also Pacific Terrace in PB. It is o.k. and it would put you closer to sea World. PB is not as nice an area in comparison to LJ. There are wonderful restaurants, walks on the beach. Very romantic town. Go with LJ!!

TahitiTams Aug 1st, 2006 06:56 PM

Hi..
I would do La Jolla..There are only a couple of oceanfront hotels on the water in La Jolla and that is the Sea Lodge and the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club..August is usually sold out but check it out at there website..
ljbtc.com
I love the Grande Colonial Hotel in downtown LJ..1 block from the ocean and right in the heart of shops, restaurants and sheer beauty..
thegrandecolonial.com
Also, there is the Hotel La Jolla that is priced around $200 for August and if you ask for the top room floors on the northern end would be ideal..
hotellajolla.com
August is going to be real tough getting reservations and it isn't going to be cheap so if you can find some great deals on either Expedia, Priceline or direct would be ideal..
I would suggest not staying around Sea World unless you have to..
Favorites restaurants in LJ are..
georgesatthecove.com
Marine Room ljbtc.com
Alfonso's
Piatti's
Tapenade
Nine-Ten
Roppongi's
Have fun and we are here if you need us for any more questions..
Best to you and your wife on the kid going to SDSU..Go Aztecs!

TahitiTams Aug 1st, 2006 07:14 PM

I forgot 2 more hotels that might work for you..

Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe
This hotel in RSF is really nice.. check out the tennis packages, 2-4 nights.
ranchovalencia.com

La Valencia Hotel
Gorgeous La Jolla Landmark
lavalencia.com

The ponies will be running at Del Mar Racetrack and that is always a hoot..
dmtc.com
jakesdelmar.com

The Padres too!
padres.com

Kal Aug 1st, 2006 07:19 PM

I thought a hotel on water was a ship?

tennislvr1 Aug 1st, 2006 07:35 PM

thanks Fodorites! I felt bad asking for yet another suggestion for San Diego, but I was really stumped for suggestions and you came to my rescue. I'm going to try all the La Jolla suggestions now...
Yes, you could say a hotel on the water is a ship...we even tried that in San Diego. Last February, we took a cruise and it docked in San Diego on our way to Mexico and our son said "couldn't you think of somewhere better to cruise to other than MY town?" Of course he was kidding....
I figure by the time he graduates my husband and I will have "seen and done" it all in San Diego...we highly recommend sending your children to a college in a town YOU want to visit! (It makes writing that tuition check a little less painful)

1JAR Aug 1st, 2006 08:59 PM

Tower 23 (hotel) may fit in with your requests to be near La Jolla and Seaworld..it is a new kinda hip hotel on the beach with really great reviews for it's restaurant and bar...