Search

San Diego area - family friendly restaurants and agenda advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego area - family friendly restaurants and agenda advice

Hello,
We are going to San Diego in mid April with our four year old daughter for a week. Our plans for the week include a trip to the zoo, the wild animal park, Legoland, La Jolla shores and the cove, Torrey Pines State Reserve, a visit to Coronado to see the hotel and views, Balboa Park (maybe the science museum and railroad museum), Birch aquarium and perhaps biking around Mission Bay area. Am I missing any must-do’s for a family trip? We were also thinking of perhaps heading over to Anza-Borrego Desert, but I am not sure it would be worth the drive or if the hikes would be family friendly. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! I think we are going to skip SeaWorld, as we have been to the Florida park a few times and want to save the day for CA activities. I would love to kayak off of La Jolla, but the websites I have visited seem to restrict kayaking to kids over six. We have taken our daughter kayaking a few times, once in a river and a few times off of the calm Gulf of Mexico. I am sure CA has rougher waters, so maybe it wouldn’t be wise to take her, but correct me if I am wrong!

We are renting a condo near La Jolla shores, so we won’t have to eat out every meal, but we will definitely go out a lot for dinner and maybe once or twice for breakfast. I was hoping to get some good kid-friendly restaurant recommendations. Places in La Jolla would be great, but as I mentioned, we are also going to be out and about around the San Diego for the previously mentioned attractions, so feel free to post suggestions for both. I noticed some good recommendations/ posts on this board for Corvette Diner, Miguel’s Cocina, Café 222 and Pizza Port, so we will probably try some of them, but let me know if there are others! Thanks in advance for everyone’s advice!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I love the drive up to Cabrillo Monument in Point Loma. Great viewpoint of the city.

I do agree with Miguel's Cocina for Mexican. Also, could look at Pt Loma Seafood then bring it to a park on the water on Shelter Island.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM

We took our 7 year olds in October. They really enjoyed the beach in Coronado, Cabrillo Nat'l Monument for the tidepools and, surprisingly, the USS Midway.

For meals, Hodad's in Pacific Beach (?) was very popular. They also LOVED and I mean LOVED eating out of the food trucks. German's Fish Tacos was an especially popular choice.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM

I hesitated on recommending the Midway due to the age of your daughter but look at the website and see if she would be interested. There is also a nice shopping plaza next door (Seaport Village)
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Seaport Village is nice for her age - so is the Children's Museum in downtown.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM

I live in the North San Diego area. My kids LOVE the Corvette diner. It isn't super cheap, but it is fun. The San Diego children's museum is really fun, and since it is downtown, it is really fun to walk to ghiradelli's afterward for a hot fudge sundae. A really fun day for my kids is to park at Old Town, do a quick walk around and buy fresh tortillas from the ladies making them in front of the restaurants, then take the trolley downtown ($5 for a ride all day pass). Then, we do the Children's Museum/ghiradelli thing.
Also, in Encinitas where I live, is the San Diego Botanic Gardens. They have a new children's section that can be really fun for your daughter to play in if you have extra time.
My husband and I have been kayaking out of La Jolla shores. Out of our group of about 12, only 1 person made it through the waves without getting dumped into the water. So, I would not personally take my daughter kayaking there. If you do a search for Carlsbad Lagoon (very close to Legoland), you can rent kayaks and kayak on the nice calm lagoon, with ocean views.
Another tip for Legoland...do NOT waste time checking out miniland. Do ALL the rides first. Miniland stays open past the closing time, so when the rides all close for the day, that is the time to hit Miniland. Also, Legoland is really good about allowing you to bring in your own food. Right outside of Legoland, off Palomar Airport Rd, there is a Pat and Oscars. This is a very family friendly restaurant if you need to hit a dinner spot after Legoland. Also, an Islands restaurant on Palomar Airport Rd, heading just East of the 5, which is also super family friendly.
At Balboa park, the Reuben H Fleet museum is super fun for her age. If you have your own car, you can park at Inspiration Point and take the free "trolley" in. My kids love that, too.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Swami's is cool too!
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM

If you do go to the Encinitas/Solona Beach area I highly recommend Claire's on Cedros, a wonderful restaurant.

If you are staying in the La Jolla/PB area for food pretty much, I would recommend The Green Flash in PB for breakfast then a walk along the boardwalk.

I think Hodads (which another poster mentioned) is in Ocean Beach which is about 20 minutes (drive) from La Jolla Shores.
They have great milk shakes!

In Coronado, I really love Miguel's Cantina and Tent City restaurants.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Cnwbak- I really appreciate your comments on kayaking - I definitely will not take her to La Jolla shores then, certainly don't want to freak her out by flipping!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Be sure to go to Children's Beach while you are in La Jolla. It is where all the Sea Lions hang out, and since it is Spring, you will get to see the pups. It is free and your daughter will LOVE it. Also, right near that spot in La Jolla is a cave you can walk down in. My kids thought it was pretty cool. You enter through the cave store.... www.cavestore.com I think is the website.