San Diego & Orange County

Jun 10th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Gary

San Diego & Orange County

I will travel w/ my wife & my 5 yr old son staying 5 days in San Diego & 2 days in Orange county at the end of August. We will stay at Doubletree San Diego Mission Valley & Atrium Hotel Orange county. Any thought on these two hotels?
We plan to see Sea World, Legoland, San Diego zoo, La Jolla or Mission bay beach, and California Adventure. Is this too much to accomplish for 7 days? We went to WDW last year and heard some negative feedback on Ca Adventure? Is Ca Adventure worth to go?

Jun 10th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Sandy

Gary,
I think the Doubletree is a central location for all SD area attractions. I would opt for the beach at La Jolla Shores over Mission Beach. It's much cleaner and kid-friendly.
As far as CA Adventure, I don't think there are many things for little kids to do there. You may want to check out the website. I haven't been yet, so I can't say first-hand, but my friends that have gone haven't been that thrilled with it. You may just want to get a 2 day pass to Disneyland so you don't have to power through the park in one day. Have a great time.

Jun 11th, 2002, 07:02 AM
x

i'm sure the doubletree is an excellent hotel. it is definitly central for getting to all the attractions. assuming you are spending a fare amount for a room there, it is not a location i'd choose. very busy area, shopping malls, businesses and no where if you like to go for a walk. if it were me with a 5 year old, i'd try to find something more scenic - catamaran hotel has a great pool and good location, the pacific terrace, best western blue sea lodge. just my opinion.
i hear lego land is great for your kids age. i hear that ca adventure is more for adults. if you were just at disneyland, i'd skip it. i wouldn't plan anymore for san diego. you only have 2 days left and i'd plan on the beach for those. mission beach has a lot of action and your kid may like it there. spend one day there and one day at a la jolla beach. have fun

Jun 11th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Barbara

I agree with Sandy, the Doubletree should be fine and the location is very central. I also agree that La Jolla Shores beach would be very good for your son. You might also try Torrey Pines State Beach and Del Mar beach. As you went to Disneyworld last year, you could try Knotts Berry Farm, which is close to Disneyland. I haven't heard any great revues of California Adventure and I think it was intended for an "older" crowd.

Jun 26th, 2002, 01:43 PM
vera

You should also visit the Wild Animal Park in Escondido (No. county of SD). It is a safari like zoological park. It gets quite warm in August but it's well worth it! Enjoy.

Jun 26th, 2002, 01:55 PM
kam

The San Diego Zoo is world famous but an old fashioned type zoo. The Wild Animal Park is great---no visible fences and a little tram that takes you around to see the animals. A five year old would love it. Sea World is good and Legoland is appealing to that age but not much older. I agree with a day or two at the beach---Torrey Pines is very nice for playing on the beach. La Jolla shores is good, but I'm not crazy about Mission Bay. He might get a kick out of taking the ferry over to Coronado and there is a little fish and chips place where you can eat outside and watch the planes land at the airport. HAve fun.

Jun 29th, 2002, 05:35 AM
kim

Gary,
You really can't go wrong if you're vacationing in San Diego. You can, however, improve your agenda of things-to-do. I highly suggest La Jolla (just gorgeous), Sea World (awesome park), Legoland, but I say skip CA Adventure...(not that fun). The whole family would enjoy Coronado. I also suggest taking the ferry to the island. Coronado also got rated on travel channel number 2 for best beaches of America! In La Jolla, there is also an awesome hang glider port overlooking Black's Beach..(loads of fun). I don't know much about Orange County, but I suggest that you save Wild Animal Park (amazing safari..not "Zoo Like", i hate zoos)for the 2 days in OC b/c it's further out, and takes at the least, 3/4 of the day. Anyways. have great fun! I would appreciate you emailing me for more info, i would be happy to help.

Jun 29th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Boots

We stayed on Mission Beach (ocean side) last April and spent some time on the bay side. La Jolla oceanfront beats it hands down. Do not, repeat, do not miss seeing the seals, who lounge on La Jolla beach and swim in at what I believe is called "Children's Pool" Also, get a tidal chart on the internet and at low tide (or a bit before) explore Cabrillo Point tidal pools and the La Jolla tidal pools. Our family spent 2 late afternoons doing this - fantastic to peer down into shallow pools and see little sea creatures and fish. Just be careful, because we were enjoying our selves so much near Cabrillo Point that we almost got stuck when the tide came back in! Have a great time!

Jun 29th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Mo

With a 5 year old, I would carefully spread out the attractions. We spent a week with a 5yr old & 3 yr old in Nov. The Zoo & Legoland probably take the most out of a kid (& adult) because they are big & require a lot of walking. The Wild Animal Park has an hour long tram ride around the reserve which is a nice break where a littel kid can relax a little. In 7 days in SD, we did the Zoo, Wild Animal PArk, Sea World, Disneyland, and Legoland. We had a pass that allowed to go back to the zoo or WAP as much as we wanted, but by the 6th day the kids were wiped out & we just took it easy before coming home

Jun 29th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Janet

I have to take exception to the person saying Mission Beach is not Kid-friendly.
Is that why so many families come to Mission Beach year after year. Mission Beach has all a kid could want. Ocean, Bay, skateboarding, skating, the boardwalk, biking and lots of restaurnts. The Catamaran is a perfect hotel for families and close to seaworld, zoo and La jolla.

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Barbara

Janet, I don't believe Sandy said that Mission Beach is not kid-friendly, just that La Jolla shores is more kid-friendly. I would agree with that for very young kids, like 5yr olds. All the things you listed for Mission Beach are great - for older kids. They can all present a hazard for young kids.