Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego and Food Network's $40 a Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-and-food-networks-40-a-day-435290/)

Idnas71 May 25th, 2004 05:35 AM

San Diego and Food Network's $40 a Day

Good morning. I love this show on the Food Network called $40 a Day. Last Friday they featured San Diego and since I'm going there in a little over three months I took special notice. Two places mentioned that looked good to me included Point Loma Seafoods, which appeared to be more of a fish market, but they prepare it for you, too. And the Old Town Mexican Cafe, which was supposedly recommended to the program host by "several locals". Are these places specially worth searching for or are there better choices for good and casual seafood and Mexican meals?

curiousgeo May 25th, 2004 10:24 AM

I also saw this show and thought she described the two places pretty well. My family and I enjoyed them both, but I don't know if I would consider these must do places, maybe some local San Diego folks can comment on that.

Point Loma Seafood is exactly what it is, a fish market and take out counter with a covered dining area next door overlooking the harbor area. Chowder comes in styrofoam bowls and the sandwiches on paper plates and were pretty good and I would go again.

Old Town Mexican Cafe was also good, not the best I've ever had but we all enjoyed the food and atmosphere. What the program didn't show are the crowds at night. With a no reservation policy the waits for a table can be an hour, so it is a very popular place. Hope that helps.

swalter518 May 25th, 2004 10:47 AM

You may want to check out Food Network's website too, they have chat rooms for each program that are often helpful as well.

tlegray May 25th, 2004 12:02 PM

I was at the Old Town Mexican Cafe this past January. We like going for breakfast. It's good mexican food, but not the best I've tasted. The atmosphere and area are fun places to go.

malvado May 29th, 2004 06:55 PM

Since the episode in question aired originally at least a year ago, the crowds at Pt Loma Seafood have grown exponentially. Much deserved, in my opinion. Try the smoked albacore!

I think Old Town Mex cafe might be the most over rated Mexican restaurant in SDiego- but it's always been a tourist favorite. Not bad, but very mediocre. Try something different, like El Agave(not your typical Northern Mex fare), a few blocks down the street.

As far as the Big Kitchen goes, despite how wonderful the owner Judy is to everyone who walks in the door, it's another over rated/over priced breakfast joint (i lived two blocks away for a number of years and still would not eat there very often). Try hash house a go-go, Parkhouse, or Cafe on Park for a better breakfast in the city.

mikemo May 30th, 2004 07:28 AM

I was in SAN last weekend and lived there 1975-1980.
Pt Loma Seafood has been there "forever" - I first went in July 1975 - and has not changed much - good value.
Hash Haus on 5th St. is a great B'fast bargain, but the portions are HUGE (one order would serve two hungry/starving folks), but bargain priced and really innovative and tasty.
The Chinese Panda Inn in Horton Plaza is VG and inexpensive - try the most unusual stuff - the area and decour are not so great.
A great meal and wonderful "inexpensive" wine can be had at Thee Bungalow and the newer sister X the street 3rd Corner (mostly seafood) in Ocean Beach only a few minutes by car from Shelter Island/Point Loma. The low priced and never heard of wines are the best choices IMHO (we had a world class CA Pinot Noir and Oregon Pinot Gris).
If you want to spend lots of USDs, George's on the Cove in La Jolla is lovely. Alphonso's, a Mex joint X the street still serves a VG Carne Asado Burrito.
M

amesinc May 30th, 2004 08:30 AM

Point Loma Seafoods is wonderful! It is not cheap however, (sandwiches run from $6-$11) but there are worth every cent. One of my personal favorites is the scallop plate which comes with slaw and fries. Is is also a fish market and all their smoked fish is divine. They have also added a sushi counter which is good too. Enjoy!

Heavens May 30th, 2004 11:46 AM

Yes, Pt Loma is the bomb. Try the crab cake or crab salad sandwhich. Take your stuff outside and watch the gulls and pelicans. It is one of the best in SD.

Also agree with Mikemo on Thee Bungalow and Third Corner. Wonderful food and the best wine lists.

Do not care for Hash House a go go. Way too much food, crowded, loud, and too overwhelming for me. Their pancakes are about a foot in diameter. Our favorites for breakfast are Albie's Steak and Eggs in the Travel Lodge in Hotel Circle, DZ Akins in Mesa, east of SD (worth a drive, the best deli), and Harry's in La Jolla.

Also love the Fishery in PB. Best fish and very reasonable. But SD is loaded with good food, really.

Don't forget to put In and Out Burger on your list for cheap eats, and Rubio's for their fish tacos. Baja Fresh is pretty good too. IMO.