Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego and Catalina Island - How far away is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that Catalina Island is really beautiful. How far from San Diego is that? Someone told me that it is a boat ride away. Where do I take that boat?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:49 AM
ltt

i think it is about a 3 hour boat ride from san diego. a lot of people drive up to long beach or newport and take a boat from there. then it's only about 1 hour i think.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Is the boat similar to a ferry? Do you know how much it costs? How long would the drive to Long Beach or Newport be? Sorry for so many questions. I am an East Coast person, and never been to San Diego, or West Coast, for that matter, before.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:27 AM

It's about 1.5-2 hour drive from San Diego. If you're thinking about bringing your car with you to Catalina, you can't. The local ordinance on Catalina allows only so many cars. Even the locals have to wait for a car to be taken off the island before they could bring another one. The main mode of transportation are electric golf carts and bicycles. You could rent either one once you get there. It is a beautiful island, and IMHP worth a visit. There are some little hotels in Avalon, the island's town. I was there while on a cruise, so I only had few hours, but I really liked the place. Did not have a chance to go more inland so can't tell you about that, but if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation, this is it. One little fact, this island was the Chicago Cubs spring training camp, as it originally was owned by the Wrigleys.
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Try the Catalina Flyer website. there is a newer terminal at Long beach. I would opt for that shorter route. the one we were on was stable. They may be to catamaran ferries. It depends on where you leave from and which one you choose (time). You really need tickets in advance for early departures. If you don't you may have to waste half the day waiting at the terminal.Check out the Catalina company website for more info and pictures. Have fun!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:26 PM

I live in San Diego and have also wanted to go to Catalina, but haven't made it there yet. So, I happen to have a brochure from www.CatalinaExpress.com

San Diego to Dana Point about an hour drive then 90min boat ride ($44.50)

San Diego to Long Beach about 2 hr drive then 1 hr boat ride ($42.00)

I hope you have a great time!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM

You can catch a ferry to Catalina from four locations in Southern California: Dana Point, Newport Beach, Long Beach, and San Pedro. The trip to Catalina takes 1-1.5 hours, depending on which city you depart from. There are two arrival points on Catalina--Avalon and Two Harbors. You can take a boat directly to either point, or to one point via the other.

In terms of proximity to San Diego,the Dana Point terminal is the closest (about 70 miles north), with the others in increasing distance in the order listed above. Dana Point is also the easiest to reach from San Diego, but San Pedro and Long Beach have more departures. Newport Beach only has one departure daily, by catamaran.

There are two ferry terminals in Long Beach, one near the Queen Mary and the other downtown at Catalina Landing. Long Beach also offers helicopter service to Catalina.

For information on Catalina Island, schedules and fares, driving directions from San Diego to all the departure terminals, and more,please see www.catalinaexpress.com.

If you are interested in another day trip from San Diego, about a half-hour north of Dana Point is Laguna Beach, one of my favorite weekend getaways. It is an artsy beach community with lots of restaurants, boutiques, galleries, and of course, a beautiful beach. For more info, see www.laguna-beach.ca.us. The Photo Gallery section has an array of pictures of Laguna (click on pictures to enlarge). Welcome to Southern California!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:24 PM

I would describe Catalina as quaint and quiet. As far as beauty, well, it is unspoiled but not beautiful in a Hawaii-like way. The vegetation there is typical of what you would find on a hike into the San Gabriels and not particularly unique.

It is more of a place to 'get away from it all' and decompress. The island maintains capacity control by limiting the accomodations via the hotel monopoly they have in Avalon. No cars, no crowds, and not much to do late at night if you are into that. Great place to stroll around, have a nice dinner, and go native for a weekend without horns and traffic and the smell of the city.

And that is my take on Avalon. The other town, Two Harbors, is even smaller, more remote, and hardly anyone there at all. The highlight of the town is a restaurant/bar that caters to fisherman who drop anchor there to break up their day and tip back a few cool ones. Its also a big camping destination.

Its nice, very unique, and you will feel a million miles away from LA. Make your boat reservations early! Like I said, there is a sort of capacity control regime that is maintained via the boats and hotels, so there can be a backlog of reservations.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:36 PM

You will love Catalina!!! It is a jewel. I lived in San Pedro and sailed over to Catalina on a Cal 20 many years ago. Now I take the Catalina Express when I go. If you plan to stay overnight check out the Zane Grey Hotel. http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/ca/i/cai3502.htm Best view in Catalina for the price. But no phones and not fancy. No matter what you do...be sure you go there. You will love it.