San Diego airport car rental

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

San Diego airport car rental

Hi,
Going to SD and want to know if the major car rental companies are located right at the airport, or not. We're going to a conference at the Hotel del. Does anyone know if they have a car rental at the del??? It may be easier to take a taxi from the airport and rent at the hotel??? Any thoughts.
Thanks.
Frank
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:22 PM

The Hertz rental, at least, is not in-terminal at SAN - a shuttle bus ride away. I think all of them are. Why is that such a big deal? You also have the option of joining clubs like the Hertz #1 club that should have your car waiting for you when you get off the shuttle bus.

It will probably cost you a bit more to rent at the hotel plus take a taxi. Sure it would be "easier" if you think it's worth the money. But it's an easy drive to Coronado from the airport...

Andrew
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:23 PM

All the rentals are a shuttle bus away...about 5 minutes, then you'll have a 10 minute drive to hotel del. In addition to being 'done' with the car issue, and having a better selection of cars, you'll also have the car for your ride back to the airport when leaving.
You can rent cars in Coronado... There is an Avis(Budget?)at the time share place across the street and an Enterprise about 5 buildings further down.(2 minutes walk or less. I prefer Enterprise as their service is much much better and faster than the other place in Coronado.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I believe all rental car companies are off airport property. We rented from Dollar last month and it was really easy. We picked up our bags, walked over to the shuttle stop - I believe this was where the cab stop was as well - got on the shuttle and rode over to the car rental place. Personally I think this is as easy as renting from car companies that have their lots on airport property if not easier.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:17 PM

There is an Avis rental office just across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado, in the Coronado Beach Resort. A taxi from the airport will cost about $22 each way, so you probably want to rent the car at the airport unless you really don't want to deal with the shuttle to the rental buildings, which are about 0.5 miles away.