Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-diego-387250/)

stephen_ross Jan 14th, 2004 09:37 AM

San Diego

Hello everyone! I would like to know what people think is the nicest area in San Diego to vacation at, LaJolla, Mission Bay, Mission Valley, Downtown, Coronado, etc...

My girlfriend and I (no kids & mid-twenties)are driving to San Diego from Vegas for like 5 days. We would like to be very close to the beach if not on. When is a better time to go, April or July?

ltt Jan 14th, 2004 10:00 AM

july will be warmer but more crowded.
la jolla is very nice but for your age, i'd consider somewhere else. mission beach which adjouns pacific beach are very active areas especially for your age group and families. check out the pacific terrace inn or the catamaran. lots of restaurants & bars in the area and plenty of places to rent bikes, boogie boards, roller blades. there is no beach downtown just a marina but plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping etc. obviously coronado is lovely. much quieter and clasier then pacific/mission beach.

stephen_ross Jan 14th, 2004 10:15 AM

thanks Itt, is the weather in April beach weather?

kimamom Jan 14th, 2004 10:18 AM

When I attended SDSU I loved La Jolla! It is beautiful. Sitting at the cove and studying was my favorite thing to do. Two of my son's friends are attending UCSD and this is also their favorite area. Have a great time! ***kim*** :)

stephen_ross Jan 14th, 2004 10:35 AM

Any hotel recommendations?

SandyBrit Jan 14th, 2004 02:55 PM

Consider The Ocean Park Inn, 710 Grand Ave. This hotel is right on the boardwalk and reasonably priced. Best rooms are on the 2nd or third floor facing the ocean. Perks include free underground parking and free breakfast. Pool is on the small side. We did see some homeless people on the boardwalk but they never bothered us. Website is www.oceanparkinn.com - Also hotel reviews on www.tripadvisor.com - Lots of eating places you can walk to, bike rental etc.

Enjoy lovely San Diego.

Sandy

SMM Jan 14th, 2004 03:12 PM

Stay on Coronado. The Marriott and Best Western are suitable and the beach is gorgeous, just a drive over to the Coronado Hotel. Everything is within driving distance. Make sure you take surf lesson from Surfari.

ltt Jan 15th, 2004 06:40 AM

i often went to the beach in april - good for laying out but the water is too cold to enjoy swimming. however, whenever i had kids visit, they still rent boogy boards and enjoy the water for short periods of time. if there is a breeze blowing off the ocean, it may still be a little chilly for laying out. sort of depends what weather you are use to. if from florida, it will seem very cold. for us canadians, it was great.

jreed Jan 15th, 2004 10:01 AM

The Crystal Pier Motel is an excellent place to stay directly on the beach,actually it is really on the water.Its very unique.Its not cheap or fancy but location is everything with this special motel.Google Crystal Pier Motel for more information.I promise you will love it.I believe its on Pacific Beach,right near the surfers and right where all the action is.Reserve now if you want it on the weekend,this place sells out months in advance.

scurry Jan 15th, 2004 12:32 PM

I think you'd definitely want to stay in PB or MB because it's right on the beach & that's were everyone your age will be. April might run into Spring Break, which you may or may not want, depending on your mood.

All the other places are close to drive to & you'll want to visit.