Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego, 10 days trip (ANOTHER REQUEST OF HELP FROM ITALY!)

Aug 26th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Ciao, I write you from Milan (italy).
My daughter is going to visit San Diego in a couple of weeks, her stay lasts 10 days.
She comes to visit her boy-friend that is attending a course at SD State University (he just arrived and will come back to Italy in December).
Both are 21.

I have some questions:
- is it worth renting a car for the complete stay of my daughter or they can “live” the town during the week usin public transports and get a car only for the week-end? All rental companies has a surcharge for the age under 25, is it a must? Is it better and cheaper to use local companies (eg FOX or West Coast) or international brands (Avis, Enterprise..)?
- can you give her a list of places “must see” both in town and just outside. Best beaches, parks … during the week ends (they have 2 available) they have time…. Any suggestion for good “romantic” hotels (budget is limited..) near the see is more than welcome (to be used during the week-ends, during the week my daughter will share her boy-friend room…).

Grazie, any input is welcome!
Arrivederci,
Gianni P.
Aug 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Major attractions: La Jolla beach, Sea World, the zoo, Gaslight District, Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Coronado Island.
Aug 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM

A car would be great. Enterprise would probably be your best bet.

There is fairly decent public transportation and they would probably use the Trolley to get from San Diego State to downtown or Old Town.

The San Diego destination page here at Fodors really covers all the "must sees".
Aug 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM

You say they are both 21, they might ask ahead of time if there is an age restriction on the rental car. Some have age 25 for men.
Also, you might ask if an international drivers license is required.
I hope they have a good time, maybe you can keep us posted on their travels with a trip report!
Aug 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM

<<>>

Most are 25 for men and women (they can't discriminate), but some will rent to people between 21 and 25 for a usually exorbitant additional fee.
Aug 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

WE LIVE AND LOVE IN SAN DIEGO.
YOUR DAUGHTER SHOULD STAY IN LITTLE ITALY. SHE WILL FEEL AT HOME AND BE NEAR A LOT OF ATTRACTIONS.
HERE IS THE SITE FOR IL PENSIONE.
http://www.lapensionehotel.com/
Aug 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM

We used Fox rental in Phoenix and it was great and the best deal.