Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Antonio TX: Menger or Crockett Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-antonio-tx-menger-or-crockett-hotel-828120/)

judilie Feb 24th, 2010 01:57 PM

San Antonio TX: Menger or Crockett Hotel?

My husband and I will be attending a dance convention at the Henry B. Gonzales Center in San Antonio in July and will be spending 5 nights in a hotel (though probably lot a lot of time, other than sleeping, in the hotel). I'm debating between the Menger and Crockett hotels and would appreciate advice about which might be a better choice. Here are the relevant parameters as I see them:

Menger Hotel – The official convention hotel. Convention rate is $99/nt. Rooms do not have refrigerators; they could supply one for $25, which makes the total cost identical to the Crockett (but the Crockett provides breakfast and Menger doesn't). Has a pool. Perhaps a tad closer to the convention center.,

Crockett Hotel – I was able to get a rate of $104 online; this is considerably below other rates I’ve seen for this property. (I’ve made a reservation but can cancel it.) Continental breakfast is included. Says it has a pool, but it appears that it is the case that you go across the street to the Menger to use their pool. (I would probably, at most, go swimming once.) Perhaps a tad further from the convention center.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

judilie Feb 24th, 2010 10:15 PM

I have learned that the Crockett does have its own pool (and also allows access to the apparently larger pool at the Menger), so I am leaning toward the Crockett, unless Fodorites advise otherwise.

padams421 Feb 25th, 2010 05:06 AM

Go with the Crockett. I think it's nicer than the Menger.

judilie Feb 25th, 2010 11:12 AM

Thanks, padams421. I was leaning that way anyway.

judilie Jul 15th, 2010 11:44 AM

Just returned from San Antonio. The Crockett was great. The breakfast was excellent: You could make your own waffles (in the shape of the state of Texas). There were scrabled eggs and tasty salsa to put on it, lots of fresh fruit, cereal, yogurts, juices, and coffee cake. Our rooom (#510) was large and the bathroom counter was at least 12-feet long, which was great for holding all of our stuff. We were very happy with the Crockett and recommend it.

pangloss Aug 5th, 2010 01:00 PM

in the unlikely event that you're still checking this thread Judi..

What kind of dance were you involved in.

Im going to be in SA next month and one of the things I've always wanted to do is go to one of those classic Texas beer and dance bars (Texas swing or twostep etc).

"Gals, if you want to lead, you're in the wrong bar"

Does anyone have any recommendations ? Austin is also a possibility.

judilie Aug 9th, 2010 10:10 PM

We went for the International Choreographed Ballroom Dance Association annual convention. It was held at the Gonzales Convention Center. We didn't explore any of the bars, so can't help you with that.

pangloss Aug 10th, 2010 02:51 PM

OK thanks

kennethjohnson May 11th, 2012 09:12 PM

What was the outcome of the hotel worker who was killed by dropping in the elevator shaft 6 floors to her death recently? Why was the elevator not maintained and checked per state law? If they cut maintenance cost on such an I print hotel item, what's next? The report said that someone who knew about elevators jim eyed" the brake mechanism. Who's to blame for this easily preventable issue where a perfectly innocent worker fell 6 floors to her death. How SCARY