San Antonio Rental cars

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio Rental cars

Would appreciate all input on experiences anyone might have had with any rental car companies in San Antonio. We were going to use Dollar until our friends, who were just there, had one of the worse experiences thanks to Dollar.
Thanks to all for your postings.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:49 AM
dcespedes

Am curious to know what the problem was--I used Dollar last week in Salt Lake City without incident. All the major rental agencies are here--most locals I know use Enterprise, say, when their car is incapacitated.

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Don

I've used Enterprise the last two times I've visited San Antonio. (They had the cheapest rates among the name agencies each time.) No fuss, no muss. Can't say they're better or worse than the other agencies with regard to customer service because I didn't have any problems with the car--just rented it, drove around, and returned it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

One company that keeps popping up with good rates and I've never seen in our area before is Advantage.

And to make a long story short (for my friend dcespedes) they reserved a van cause they were a family of 6, when they got there, they didn't have a van for them but did have the small KIA available. They ended up with 2 small cars (Dollar gave them a package rate for both cars) and on their return, the lot to drop off cars didn't open till 6am but their flight left at 5:55am, they finally found the guy who was watching the lot so they could drop off their cars and get shuttled to the airport, they got there 22 minutes before departure. When your towing around your family, traveling is hectic enough but not knowing if you'll make your flight would be brutal. Dollar had their flight info and should have alerted them to their hours of operation, IMO
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

dcespedes,

We ended up at Amerisuites Riverwalk. We were able to work out a fantastic deal.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:38 AM

Bid on Priceline and take what they give you. At any given time there can be a problem. And I think they might have thought ahead for the dropoff situation. Anyway, we rent through Priceline a LOT and always save a LOT--like half off.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

If you fly in, rental car companies have all your flight info.
Dollar should have said something, they had the information right there on their reservation. I don't buy in to "the people should have checked" line. BS...Dollar should have said before they left our counter "these are our hours of operation" In fact, Dollar agrees with me because of what happened with them down there, all their customer rep's NOW say their hours to each and every customer.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:22 AM
dcespedes

Hi Melmg! Good for you--glad you worked out a deal downtown. Re: Dollar, what a nightmare! I'd be leery, too! And I agree with you, car reservations (at least the ones I've made) always include inbound AND outbound flight information. I don't remember when you'll be in town--it's been hotter than heck here lately BUT we did get rain yesterday afternoon and last night which should help cool things off. Also, there's a cool front making it's way South...will it make it here? Probably not but there's always the hope! Take good care,

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Check Alamo.com.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Dcespedes,
Doesn't matter how warm it is, we're just excited to see our baby and watch him graduate basic training. Having your first child leave the nest is a lot harder than we thought it would be.
Thanks for all your help over the past few months with hotels in your area. We got a better rate from Amerisuites then even our TA could get. Took some wheeling and dealing on my part.
We're ready to spend a few days seeing the sites (we're flying in early) and then hanging out at Lackland and hugging our boy.

We've reserved with Alamo but Advantage sure has good rates for bigger cars.
Anyone have good or bad to say about Advantage? Never heard of them before.

So, step up folks, who has experiences with Advantage?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM
dcespedes

Hi Melmg--I am so excited and happy for you--I hope you enjoy a wonderful time at your sons graduation--you must be very proud!

A wonderful storm rolled through the area over the weekend bringing with it cooler air--temps are supposed to be lower than normal this week which will make being along the riverwalk especially nice!

Sorry, but I have no experience with Advantage...I hope that someone who does will chime in....anybody???

Enjoy your trip and best wishes to your son!!

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:43 PM
dcespedes

Melmg--in the event you don't get feedback on this forum, check out the link below to epinions.com--you'll find reviews on Advantage that may help you with your decision. Take care,

http://www.epinions.com/Advantage_Re...splay_~reviews

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

About Riverwalk area, we asked a few months back about areas to avoid (for safety reasons) and someone wrote "stay off the street level as much as possible".

I forgot to ask, at the time, what they meant. Might you know what they meant?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

WOW, the reviews aren't too good, are they?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
dcespedes

Certainly doesn't sound encouraging... perhaps it's a case of getting what you pay for? Might want to stick with Alamo...

Re: safety downtown, the Riverwalk is below street level--you are in for such a treat!--and there are stair cases that lead you down to the river walk. We've been downtown at night on numerous occassions--and in the wee hours of the morning, too, and have never had a problem or felt unsafe either along the streets or along the river. Once, in the 15 years we've lived here, I was approached by a homeless person asking for change. Being a popular tourist / convention destination there are numerous--you'll see them everywhere--police on bike and foot patrol and the river is well lit and well traveled. No place is perfect but I can honestly say that in the time we've lived here I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience downtown. I hope this helps!

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, that's what we thought but when the guy wrote that, it made me wonder.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
dcespedes

I understand--just be alert and if it makes you feel better check with the hotel staff to see what they say.

By the way, in case you don't already know...the grand (review?) stands where you'll be sitting at Lackland are covered and have rest room facilities and water fountains

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

That's good to hear. We've heard that they didn't used to be covered sitting areas
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:11 AM
dcespedes

You are correct--someone did a really nice job sprucing up the area, not that it was all that bad before but nice touches have been made. The area where you'll be sitting is surrounded by old military planes used during WWII as well as the first Air Force One

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

WOW, that's exciting. That will be neat to see.