Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Antonio in August - Yikes! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-antonio-in-august-yikes-800272/)

travelinsoul Aug 10th, 2009 06:59 AM

San Antonio in August - Yikes!

I hear August is brutally hot in San Antonio.

What is the tourist population at that time....will it be crowded?

I've noted from other posts the "must sees".

Where is the IMAX located?

Any "cool" things to do?

Thanks for your input!

dfr4848 Aug 10th, 2009 07:29 AM

Brutally hot is good description, especially this year when central TX is setting records and is in the middle of extreme drought.

Usually still crowded but certainly not unbearable.

Can't help with IMAX

The 2 "coolest" things are the water activities at Sea World and Natural Bridge Caverns, about 10 mi north off I 35 (interior stays around 68F).

longhorn55 Aug 10th, 2009 09:13 AM

The IMAX is at Rivercenter, within easy walking distance of the Alamo.
http://www.imax-sa.com/

travelinsoul Aug 10th, 2009 09:15 AM

Thanks for both replies. Brutally hot, huh? Ugh :(

dfr4848 Aug 10th, 2009 10:06 AM

But it's a dry heat. :-D

[Actually it can be quite tolerable]

volcanogirl Aug 10th, 2009 10:11 AM

It's a good excuse to go get prickly pear margaritas at Boudro's. Along with their tableside guacamole - mmmmm!

missypie Aug 10th, 2009 10:20 AM

When people visit Disneyworld, common advice is to go first thing in the morning, take an afternoon break and go out again at night. That is pretty good advice for SA. Sightsee in the morning, go to a movie or get in the pool in the afternoon, then go back out after 7 pm. A great option is to stay at the Hyatt Hill Country and spend hours in the lazy river.

troublemp Aug 10th, 2009 10:55 AM

August isn't too bad in terms of tourists but SA is a major tourist town with the Alamo, The Riverwalk, Sea World and Six Flags being major attractions. I'd stay downtown near the Riverwalk/Alamo unless they aren't on your agenda at all. You can get some great prices using any of the major discount websites. I just paid $75/night for the Mariott Plaza on Alamo & Durango Streets and was able to walk to the Alamo/Riverwalk,Imax with no problems what so ever. If you can I'd suggest going on the first Friday of the month so you can enjoy the First Friday festivities in Southtown. Locals love Rosario's for dinner so get there EARLY or get ready for a 1 hour+ wait!

bkluvsNola Aug 16th, 2009 12:06 PM

You may want to check out Schlitterbahn Water Park. That is a real refreshing way to spend the day, and it was rated the best Water Park in America. I've been and it truly lives up to its reputation.

volcanogirl Aug 16th, 2009 12:12 PM

Us too; we love the Schlitterbahn - it's not like your usual water park.

missypie Aug 17th, 2009 09:07 AM

I think Schlitterbahn is hell on Earth...standing in line for 90 minutes for a waterslide in 105 degree heat is not an experience I care to pay for again. (Seriously, if you go, try to form some sort of strategy because the crowds can be incredible.)

Cranachin Aug 17th, 2009 09:31 AM

A friend who was just in San Antonio said it was noticeably cooler down by the river along the Riverwalk than up at street level.

emd3 Aug 17th, 2009 09:47 AM

If you have a car, you can go to Blanco State Park abt 30 min north of the city. Swimming in the river, which is spring-fed, and a big long rope swing into the river. Lots of fun. Also Landa Park, a 1.5 million gallon pool fed by the Comal Spring in New Braunfels is fun- has a rope swing, zip-line, slides, etc. I took my teens to both last yr. in August and it was great. Other than being in the water, it was brutally hot everywhere we went.

volcanogirl Aug 17th, 2009 09:54 AM

I like their wave pool, just get on a tube and relax.

bkluvsNola Aug 21st, 2009 03:42 PM

missypie,

Try the West section, where the Spring fed Comal River is the source of water and supplies the waterslides there. One of the water slides there had a 20 minute line for a 45 minute route that goes all the way down to the Comal River. We were actually cold when we were done and had to go in the hot tub to warm up and it was 105 degrees outside because the water was so cold. I agree the East section can get crowded...