Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Antonio, any advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-antonio-any-advice-123504/)

poatney May 11th, 2001 07:04 PM

San Antonio, any advice

Going to San Antonio second week of june will be going with 8 year old twins, we are staying downtown by the river-walk,not planning on renting a car. we will be there 5 days what do you think.....

CIndy May 12th, 2001 03:28 AM

you haven't really asked a specific question. what do you want to know????

Jim Rosenberg May 12th, 2001 03:36 AM

San Antonio is a very nice place to visit, but 5 days may be a little on the long side for the twins, IMHO. With that much time, I would suggest taking a day at SeaWorld and while I totally agree with not renting a car in general, a one-day rental and a trip up to the Schlitterbahn water park would also be something to consider. If the weather was cooperative and you did one of those things on Day 2 and the other on Day 4, I think that you would have a very memorable trip for the kids without driving yourself nuts in the process or having them get too restless. Maybe keep the Day 4 trip idea under your hat to use on an "as-needed" basis, in case you are pleasantly surprised and it turns out that they don't really need the extra activity, allowing you to kick back a little more. Happy Trails! :o)

Vicki May 12th, 2001 04:38 AM

There's a trolley that you can catch by the Alamo that takes you to a mexican market that's kind of neat. There's also the IMAX that explains the story of the Alamo very well. The river ride on the riverwalk get old fast and you can see everything as you walk anyway. There's Fiesta Texas and Sea World that your hotel probably has a shuttle to. Depending on whether your kids like to do history stuff ( I have two kids that do and I kid that doesn't), there's a great history museum downtown (I forgot the name) and also there are several missions that I beleive you can get to by trolley but I'm not sure. Have fun! The kids will probably like the hotel pool the best.

oscar May 12th, 2001 12:04 PM

take them up to Austin on one day car rental and run around Ladybird's garden, the capitol, and watch the bats fly out the Congress St bridge.

Linda May 12th, 2001 06:05 PM

When you do the Riverwalk, take the boat ride. It is cooling and you will need that and it is slow but the driver tries to liven things up. There is a Circus Museum near La Villita that they might like. Check mysanantonio.com and savisit.com for information and events. If you are there on a Sunday morning, go to the Mariachi Mass at Mission San Jose at noon. You can take a bus to Breckenridge Park and ride the train and see the zoo. The Institute of Texan Cultures and the McNay Art Museums are nice but it depends on your twins liking musuems.

Christie May 13th, 2001 06:20 AM

I'm going to agree with Jim and suggest that you rent a car for at least a couple of days so you can do things outside of the immediate downtown area. Yes, your hotel might have a shuttle, but honestly, I'd recommend renting a car so you have the freedom to not have to wait for it, stop for dinner on the way back, etc. These destinations are also a fair distance away from downtown, so there is a good chance your hotel will NOT have a shuttle and you don't want to miss these. Some recommendations: <BR>Sea World (on 1604 southwest) <BR>Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels (on 1-35 north) <BR>Fiesta Texas (Six Flags-type amusement park on I-10 north/west) <BR> <BR> <BR>In the downtown area, the Hertzberg (sp?) circus museum will be very enjoyable for your kids. I went there as a kid and loved it. Shopping at the Mexican Market in La Villita will also be fun. <BR> <BR>The heat will probably have arrived by then, so be prepared. Remember to drink plenty of water and wear light-colored cotton clothes.

OliveOyl May 13th, 2001 09:11 AM

Jim's advice is excellent. I think you'll need a day at Sea World, and the Schlitterbahn will be a welcome relief too from the heat which will probably have set in by then. Riverwalk is nice, but it will start to get old after the first day, especially for the kids. <BR> <BR>Do get detailed driving instructions from your hotel and back. We were just there yesterday and spent a fair amount of time lost, despite having gotten directions from downtown to our hotel, Hyatt Hill Country, which isn't too far from Sea World. On one occasion detours took us off our route...and never led us back, and on the next adventure some roads on which we were supposed to turn weren't named so we flew right on by. There is quite a network of interstate highways through and around the city. Take a good detailed map of San Antonio, encompassing the outer loops and even if you stray as we did, you'll be able to find your way back to some recognizable highway.

melinda May 13th, 2001 05:39 PM

We loved San Antonio but 5 days is a little much. My big advice is to the women of the group....not sure if the twins are girls but not heels, not even a little sliver heal as the cobblestone paths are hard to walk on in shoes that have any type of heel and not a rubber sole. Sounds trivial but I had to buys shoes as my favorite comfortable sandals slipped all over the place. Have a great time.