Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Antonio (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-antonio-619745/)

JerseySue May 31st, 2006 07:37 AM

San Antonio

I have always dreamed of going to San Antiono - is it as pretty as the pictures I see in the travel magazines ? How long should we stay ? What hotel is the best ?

Tess May 31st, 2006 07:57 AM

JerseySue,

San Antonio is one place that really lives up to to travel magazine promises--it's an amazing city. We live in Nebraska and found ourselves in San Antonio twice last year (once for a national dance competition and once for the Alamo Bowl). Both times I hated to go home. The best term I can think of for SA is 'graceful.' It's just a gorgeous city and the people are beyond friendly.

We stayed at the (then) brand new Hotel Contessa on the Riverwalk on our last trip and loved it. We had family stay at the Hyatt on the same trip and they enjoyed it (Malesherbes, are you here? :-) )Check out tripadvisor for reviews of different hotels--there are many good ones from which to choose.

We visited in both summer (hot but still fun) and in December. December was wonderful as they had millions of little fairy lights decorating the Riverwalk. Okay, it's official. I want to go back!!

jorr May 31st, 2006 08:08 AM

I lived in SA for many years. Yes, its as pretty as the pictures. The river walk is so unusual for America that you will think you are in another country. I recommend a river walk hotel and a stay of at least two days, longer if you want to go to the two theme parks. Car rental is not necessary if staying downtown. There are shuttle buses to all the outer attractions and airport.

AnnMarie_C May 31st, 2006 08:08 AM

I think downtown is as pretty as the pictures I've seen. For me, it's too hot to enjoy in the summer! but it is beautiful and we love going downtown or driving through the hill country. The Missions, the art museums, the Riverwalk are unique and very special places worth experiencing, imo, and very pretty at night!

TKT May 31st, 2006 08:28 AM

First, let me second the previous messages regarding the Riverwalk area.
Outside of that area I found SA to be far less visually appealing than most cities I hve visited. If you are choosing a city for visual appeal look at Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA and New Orleans as city where you can just walk around for a long time and enjoy what's around you. I like the riverwalk in SA but it doesn't compare to walking along the water in those cities. Just an hour from SA is Austin with its long walks along the Colorado River. I've spent hours at bookstores and cafes in Austin along the water and fell in love with the area.
SA is great, but if you can choose anywhere, choose another city.

MerryTravel May 31st, 2006 08:34 AM

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion since I was in San Antonio for a week about this time last year on business and I didn't particularly like it. I was working around the convention center most of the time so I was right in the thick of the River Walk area and I just don't see what the fuss is about. Granted I didn't explore much beyond the River Walk and Alamo <i>and</i> it was beastly hot (which is not fun when you're wearing pantyhose and suits), so that probably colors my experience quite a bit, though. I did like the way the city kept a park area around the Alamo, but once you're off that property it's cheesey touristy stuff.

And just for the record I didn't just develop a bad opinion of the city because I was there on business. I'd been to Charleston just prior to this trip for work and I thought it was a lovely city that I'd be happy to go back to on my own time.

JerseySue May 31st, 2006 08:41 AM

Thanks everyone one for ya'lls opionions - I'm originally from New Orleans but live in New Jersey now. This trip really seems funny to my husband - like why in the world would you want to go to San Antonio. We have literally travled around the world - including Venice - so he's saying how can anything compare to Venice - I guess it's just a place I have wanted to go to since I was a kid. I had a feeling it was going to be cheezy but I still want to go - so what's the best time of year to go ?? I'm guessing not summer.

Statia May 31st, 2006 08:59 AM

No, not summer. It's hot, hot, hot (and humid). I'd say either spring or fall. I'd personally choose October.

I like to think of San Antonio as the Venice of Texas. ;) So, I think you would like it if you've always wanted to go.

JerseySue May 31st, 2006 09:12 AM

Thanks STATIA - my husband agrees that I have to go - he said that after 20 somthing years of wanting to go there - I should ! Gotta see it for myself ! Thanks again.