Reload this Page >

Sam Hempell's Modest Opinions about the NY TIMES 4-star Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 10:09 AM
Sam Hempell

Modest my ass! Here goes. The NY Times has 6 restaurants with 4 stars. Not surprisingly they are all French. From bottom to top.

#6 - Le Cirque - Good but not great. If you must go to impress your big-haired sister from Philadelphia, at least get the good stuff. Seared sea scallop or Risotto with Lobster to start. I won't mention the seared foie gras bc this is a dish they all 6 serve and it is about the same everywhere. For an entree, the most famous dish (a Daniel Boulud speciality continued on even after his departure) is the Paupiette of Black Sea Bass in Crispy Potato Shell. The Lobster with Mushrooms is also very good. The Desserts are all pretty but none really that tasty. Try the Creme Brulee. I think Le Cirque invented it, so at least your big-haired relatives will delight in your tale. Don't get shuttled off to the dining side on your left. Get a table in the main on the left

#5 - Lespinasse - They have the most expensive kitchen in Manhattan but I've eaten there 4 times and have never liked more than one or two dishes. Pumpkin flavored ravioli? Lot of asian accents. Some people love it. I say skip it. Too steep a price for mediocrity

#4 - Chanterelle - They only have one seating a night for most tables there so you can spend 4 hours eating if you want and you have enough cushion in your butt cheeks. Tables are well spaced out and ceilings are high so you feel very relaxed. Ultra nice service. Everything was tasty.

#3 - Jean Georges - Stark interior. I would say not romantic at all unless you are bringing Spock. But the food is fantastic and the sommelier is extra patient and kind. Try the spaghetti with spicy lobster

#2 - Bouley Bakery - MUST, MUST get the tasting menu. Its about 6-7 courses in small portions and unreal. They also have the best mashed potatoes in town (extra cream cheese is the secret). Day boat lobster and free range chicken is unreal. Also the melon soup with sorbet must be tried. End it with the chocolate souffle (they have variation now). I generally don't like souffles but this was/is the best dessert in Manhattan. I know this and the old Bouley better than almost anyone I know as I've dined there over 100 times. Trust me if you've never been. Makes the food at Le Cirque taste of a 6-piece McNugget.

#1 - Le Bernardin - Really a toss up with Bouley. Very very pretty inside and very quiet place so if you want to be rowdy go to Carmine's and fling food at your fat aunt from Ohio. Everything is tasty here but beware there are many, many supplements that can drive the price much higher. Chinese Sea Bass and lobster ravioli rock. Also, inside tip. Go to the bathroom even if you don't have to. I rank it as the prettiest, cleanest bathroom in Manhattan.

Hope this was of some help.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 10:49 AM
martha python

Loved this (except my lunchtime sandwich now seems even more bleak).
Do you have any butt-conditioning tips for people who are planning a meal at Chanterelle? And while it's nice that everything is tasty, is there anything you especially recommend?

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Joanne

A friend of mine...really, has some friends coming in from California. They would like a recommendation for a dinner place. Something "different", "new york", whatever. Any suggestions? Another friend suggested some restaurant where the waiters are transvestites (I guess that would fall under the "different" category). Any comments on that place?

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Diane

I liked the RedEye Grill. Seemed very New York to me. Or Ben Benson's if they are Real Men... excuse me..Meateaters. (A high caloric high fat expense account meal, but very "tasty" if you like red meat!)

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 11:49 AM
Sam Hempell

The transvestite rest is Lucky Cheng's. The food is not very tasty and the decor is bad. I think it's a hack of a restaurant. Why not have midgets cleaning up the toilets? Gimmicky restaurants usually blow chunks and this one's close.

Joanne, you want something "New York". The ultimate was the Rainbow Room which served mediocre food but was the IT ny place. I would try Nobu, China Grill, or Babbo (last time I went I sat next to Christy Turlington and Jason Patrick. Across from me was Gweneth Paltrow and to my left was Chuck Close the painter of giant portraits). Of course, if your friends are really mostly concerned with the food, try Bouley Bakery or Nobu.

I haven't been to Chanterelle in a few months but I've always liked the Diver Sea Scallops, Mallard duck and poached cod. For dessert I liked the lemon mousse and the chocolate beggars purse. If they have a chocolate souffle there now, by all means try it

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 02:49 PM
elaine

Sam,

Have been following all NY restaurant threads...but need to clarify. Re: Le Cirque: Is the big-haired sister from Philadelphia a quote from NY Times?

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 03:01 PM
Al

Three hearty cheers for Sam! What a great addition to this web site! Out here at the ranch, our big treat comes on our birthdays when we get a free breakfast at Denny's when we drive into town. We didn't know such sissified cooking existed.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 03:14 PM
Sam Hempell

Elaine, No, the NY times is not that insensitive

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 05:13 PM
elaine

Sam,

I would answer 'big hair/Philadelphia' to your email address...but am not certain if you have both hotmail and aol...rather than have my hair stand on end...as a native Philadelphian am wondering where in the world this slur originated? As one who dines frequently in many NY restaurants [including ones you have mentioned], guess I should either blame my hair stylist or wear a hat[in the event 'big hair' applies to all Philadelphia females]. Do not appreciate a geographic slur when discussing dining companion[s] and/or restaurant reviews.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 06:32 PM
M.M.

: Who gives a rat's rear about Sam Hempell or for that matter NYC.Take them
both out to sea on one of their famous scows and dump em with the rest of the garbage
damn it !!!!!!

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 02:55 PM
Anthony

Sam:

Did you miswrite your original review of Le cirque, or do you TRULY think that Creme Brulee was invented there?

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 09:23 AM
fred small

Sam - or Sally - or James Lee - or whoever you are this week - No one, and I really mean no one, could possibly ever have eaten over 100 times at Bouley. It was nice, but not extraordinary. Unless you were at one time a Bouley waiter who could eat there for free. Sam, your reviews lack something, e.g., they feel copied from others' reviews. What you review and what you say are just so standard. And Daniel didn't go anywhere - he just opened shop in another location with different food. And check with Jacques Torres about whoever invented the dessert - he ought to know. Just a suggestion: why don't you folks who really get off on Sam "subscribe" to his e-mail and stop messing up Fodor's for those of us who need travel information and aren't on some sort of kick to tell everyone else where to eat or what to see at the theatre. Enough, Sam. And your alter egos Sally and James Lee, and the others who say nice things about you. Enough, please !!!

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 12:41 PM
observer

Here, here Fred! The rest of us have finally figured out that this whole mess has been about this person, not about helping. It has been obvious for awhile that he is writing most of the posts--pro and con- to keep it going, and that he copies reviews. The sad part is that some trusting people have encouraged it. Thankfully, this forum has had a minimum of this sort of childishness. We get it now, do you hear us "multiple person"? We get it...

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 03:52 PM
sam hempell

Dear Fred (very) small,

You know so little about manhattan dining its laughable. Daniel Boulud was the chef of Le Cirque, then opened Daniel. You are such a moron. And I have eaten at Bouley and Bouley Bakery 100 times. Please send me an email at my private adrs so I can chat with you off of this board you pathetic weasel. Get a life you laughable turd

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 04:39 PM
afoodie

Your library guidebooks must be outdated "multiple person alias Sam." Daniel Boulud has opened a third restaurant, and no longer supervises the one at the Surrey Hotel. Your rudeness is appalling. I think you are mad because the people in this forum realize you have been writing notes to yourself, and are copying reviews, and calling them your own. Please grow up, and stop insulting people; you're losing it.

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Al

Let's try to be civil to one another. Or else this web site will become just another Lonely Planet page.

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Donna

Dear Sam: Have you really been to all these places? For everyone else, in my extensive research and quest for excellent, but moderately priced, dining on our frequent trips from the outbacks of NH to NYC, my favorites have been (in no particular order, they're all wonderful): Sonia Rose, Rene Pujol, Cafe Nicholson, Chez Josephine, and Sunday Brunch at Cafe des Artistes. All are moderately (for NYC) priced, with fabulous ambience, terrific menus, delicious and beautifully presented food, with fine and friendly service. And, they're all French. But, then, we love French cuisine and restaurants a la City of Light. I must say, though, that we've found the best French cuisine (and atmosphere) in our Travels in (1) Montreal and (2) San Francisco. I'd rate Boston a "definite OK" if you're careful. Certainly NOT Paris. I get a huge kick out of the listings in the Access Guides with ** and $$$$$. Go figure. Moreover, we've "done" plenty of those "worth every penny for the experience" places, and, frankly, they're NOT. If you're the sort who's full after the bread and salad, there is positively NO POINT in spending upwards of $20 to "dine" anywhere. (Or, even less.) There is only one "worth it for the experience" places (Chillingsworth in Brewster, MA, on the "Cape") to which I would ever consider returning (there was an obnoxiously loud "anniversary" party nearby where everyone - in the family - was taking the opportunity to "vent" the night we were there). At any rate, now that I'm somewhat "experienced", it all depends upon what you're "up for" and how much you really feel like spending on a "dining experience". I, myself, can only consume so much at one meal. And, am no longer interested in buffets. Again, if the main course takes some time, I've filled up on bread and salad, not to mention a drink or two, by the time it arrives, which precludes me from enjoying it very much. Anyone seeking a really superior "dining experience" is lucky to find a place with a seven, or so, course menu with well paced service and managable portions, of same. I've also determined that, no matter how exquisite, four beautifully presented spears of asparagus with a "to die for" teaspoon of sauce is just not worth $50, even if you have money to burn. It looks and tastes JUST as good steamed with a dribbling of melted butter, in my opinion. I've also determined that NO meal on the planet is worth more than the cost of the night's lodging. And, I'm completely fed up with places that disregard you if you're not resplendant in your mink and heirloom platinum jewelry. Or, worse, aren't "recognized" at the front door. Having been out and about, no longer am I willing to "contribute" $200 or more for "good stuff" and stiff service. The reality is, to me anyway, when you're hungry, just about anything will do. And, it's just silly to pay ridiculous prices to "dine" in a place (where you pay the same as everyone else) where you are not as "warmly" received as everyone else. I, personally, sincerely doubt that any of the **** star restaurants could survive with only their "celebrity" clientele. No doubt they make do with others patronizing their establishments based upon their "reputations" no matter how poorly those patrons are treated. Why bother?

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Sam Hempell

Dear AFOODIE:

You are a pathetic little slug, aren't you? I have been to all the restaurants many times. I know Daniel Boulud well and have been to his new restaurant Daniel and to Cafe Boulud several times. He is also part owner of Payard Patisserie. Please don't tell me anything about New York Restaurants . You will only embarrass yourself, jackass.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 10:12 AM
fred small

Sam: I'm unhappy to report that I took the initiative and did in fact send you an e-mail (as I later learned from this site you had requested), but the message back to me was that your address was no longer functioning. No reason given, and that's the truth. The message I sent you was reasonable, and I even found a few opportunities to praise you for your views. But, unlike you, I did not resort to name calling. Have a happy life, Sam. I won't communicate any further with someone of your calibre. Without intending to, I must have hit a nerve - usually you've appeared to have a modicum of control.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 02:07 PM
samhempell

Freddy, please try to resend to above email adrs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -