Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Salt Lake to Utah, Wyoming, Montana and back to Salt Lake (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/salt-lake-to-utah-wyoming-montana-and-back-to-salt-lake-1022434/)

egbarron Aug 8th, 2014 08:48 AM

Salt Lake to Utah, Wyoming, Montana and back to Salt Lake

Early September10-day trip starting in Salt Lake and ending at Salt Lake. Need a suggested itinerary as I don't know where to make hotel accommodations as I have not identified a route. Have plenty of hotel points most everywhere but not sure which attractions/areas to match with segments of time. New territory for my husband and I. We are not hikers but do play golf. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dukey1 Aug 8th, 2014 11:10 AM

Somehow, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone immediately come to mind.

utahtea Aug 8th, 2014 11:21 AM

I'm going to assume because you are going to Montana and Wyoming that you are looking for outdoor activities and scenery. If it were me, I'd head straight to Yellowstone by going north on I-15 to Idaho Falls the Hwy 20 to West Yellowstone. I doubt at this late date you can get lodging in the park so look for lodging in West Yellowstone. You don't have to be hikers to enjoy this park but to see some of the sites you have to be willing to do some easy walking...kind of like 18 holes of golf. ;) I'd spend 4 - 6 of your days exploring the wonders of Yellowstone.

I'd then head down to the Grand Tetons for a couple of nights or so. I'm sure there must be a golf course in Jackson, WY but since we don't golf I'm not sure.

From there I'd work my way down to Vernal, Utah to see Dinosaur National Monument Monument. Besides the Dinosaur displays it's a very scenic area and if you are into river rafting there are available here.

Then head back to Salt Lake City. This route might not be what you are looking for, but it will have the best of the scenic and natural wonders of the area to see in that period of time.

Utahtea

BigRuss Aug 8th, 2014 12:19 PM

BTW, you don't have to go from SLC to Utah - you'll already be there.

Dukey1 Aug 8th, 2014 12:38 PM

I assume the flight ending in Salt Lake City is by design and to save some money.

Other than the Vernal rec if it were me and with only ten days I'd fly in and out of Jackson.

egbarron Aug 8th, 2014 06:26 PM

I meant to write Idaho, not Utah! With that new information, would welcome any additional replies. Thank you all.

StantonHyde Aug 9th, 2014 01:42 PM

Do you just want to drive through sites and see the scenery? Then I would go up to Yellowstone for 3 days, drive to Glacier for 2-3 days, come back through the Tetons and back to SLC. It's 5-6 hours from SLC to West Yellowstone or Jackson. You would be doing a lot of driving but seeing plenty of great stuff. I wouldn't bring the golf clubs. I don't know that I would call any of the courses between SLC and Idaho Falls all that great that they are a must do. But that's me.

Have you looked at all trip reports here on Yellowstone and Tetons and Glacier? Lots of good info in those.