Salt Lake City to Jackson Wy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me decide which is the best route to take. I have seen old posts-but I am concerned with the recent mudslide on 89 and potential construction that is currently happening. Which is the most scenic route? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I won't say I get road rage-but sitting in traffic makes me cranky!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM

You better chill for Yellowstone then because there are animal jams all the time! The bison are bigger than you, don't mess with them.

Also, summer is road construction season in the Rockies so you really can't avoid it completely.

Where is this mud slide? Where is the construction you refer to? Let me know and I can help.

I go up every year.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

On May 16th there was a landslide across 89 at milepost 127 between Alpine and Hoback Junction. They have cleared it-but they are still looking at further work to do. So I will wear my big girl panties and take a deep breath when the buffalo cross my path! This is a first time trip for me and the DH-so we want to make the most of it! Thank you!
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Monte Cristo (Hwy 39) is a beautiful drive but will probably be closed later than usual this year due to heavy snow pack.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 03:00 AM

Pretty best roads 280 miles or so Ogden Brigham City

American Springs Soda Springs Jackson.

Snowed there yesterday monitor yellowstone.com

for road conditions.

mapquest.com clasic directions distances precise info
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Ok then barbie,

I live in Park City so when I go up, I take I-80 to Evanston, WY, then north on WY hwy 89.

In my opinion, the prettiest, but slowest route is north on I-15, east through Brigham Canyon thru Logan Canyon, past Bear Lake, then you go east to meet up with hwy 89. On thru Star Valley (gorgeous) and Alpine, WY. Here you have the choice of going east to Hoback Jct. along the Snake River(this road is almost always under some sort of construction). When I drove it last October, it was very good! Or, you can go north a bit and over the Teton Pass. This is not speedy either and steep and windy, high altitude road, but beautiful.

Take your pick depending on road conditions.