salt lake city/park city

Mar 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
mrt
Original Poster

salt lake city/park city

I would appreciate if you could answer some simple questions relating to my family vacation next summer in park City.

What is the weather/temperature typically in late July early August. When does it get dark.
Is Antelope State Park a good 1/2 day trip.
Any should not miss attractions aroung Park City.
Anyone ever stay at the Westgagte Resort
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Hi MRT,

OK, more info for you. I already mentioned visiting the UT Olympic Park in your other post.

end of July/Aug weather should be in the high 80's to low 90's. Our climate is so dry that it will be quite comfortable. However, high altitude requires sunscreen, hat, lots of water. Afternoon thunderstorms are common in August. Plan hiking for mornings and watch the sky. It's not hard to tell when it's going to start lightening.

I've never been to Antelope St Park, but have heard it's a nice visit. Nicer would be the high Uintas national forest and wilderness. Endless small lakes and hikes with wildflowers. East of Park City by 40 minutes' drive.

Fun things around the area, the Heber Creeper antique steam train in Heber valley, scuba diving inside a thermal crater at Homestead Resort, several public golf courses in the area.

Park City Mtn Resort has some fun stuff at their base. Alpine slide, zip lines, mini golf, horseback riding, more. Ut Olympic Park also has zip lines and a freestyle aerial show on Saturdays at noon. Get tickets in advance. Hot air balooning, windsurfing, water skiing, fly fishing (guides available). Free concerts at Deer Valley on Wednesdays at 6pm. The Egyptian Theater on Main Street puts on live productions and the Performing Arts Council presents wonderful artists at the Eccles Theater. All types, everyone from the Neville Bros. to Kris Kristofferson and dance groups.

I think you'll stay busy.
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Oh, the first weekend in Aug is the Arts Festival. Main Street will be pedestrian only with over 200 artists (very high quality and $$$$) showing. Music and food too!
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Thank you Dayle for your suggestions, especially about the Uintas National Forest and the music. Can you tell me anything about the Westgagte Resort.
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM

We went to Antelope Island to fulfill our burning need to swim/float in the Great Salt Lake and it was a wonderful experience.
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Sorry, MRT,

I haven't been in it since I live here. I just know it's quite new (about 3 or 4 years) and it should be very nice inside if it's on a par with the Grand Summit and the other new properties at the Canyons.
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM

the Westgate resort is fantastic! Top notch, first class. A fantastic restaurant (forgot name) there also - nice atmosphere, great food. We bought a timeshare at Westgate and have not regretted it. Their spa is also FANTASTIC! It's called Papillon - highly recommended. Gorgeous pool. The "Canyons" resort where Westgate is located is quite wonderful. The chairlifts probably run in the summer and a trip to the top then some hiking a good idea. It is quite cool at night in PC. Especially for instance at a concert at Deer Valley on the hillside - bring plenty of layers! Deer valley beautiful also.

As for Great Salt Lake - and Antelope Island. It is an odd pplace - kind of imagine craters on the moon in some places. Swimming is interesting - park yourselves near the restroom/shower facilities. Then, after swimming when the thin film of salt starts forming on your body - go shower it off, then start all over! There are good biking trails on Antelope, and a herd of bison. I was jealous seeing the folks who come there with their own horses...
It can be VERY hot in SLC in late July/August. Gets dark 8:45-9 pm(?) I live in SLC. It almost never rains here - but when it does - it never lasts very long . those lightning storms can be fascinating and deadly.
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Thank you rapotap and Dayle. You are my Utah gurus. I am sure I will have more questions as my trip approaches.