Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Salt Lake City area hotels and neighborhoods (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/salt-lake-city-area-hotels-and-neighborhoods-812332/)

christy1 Oct 29th, 2009 01:10 PM

Salt Lake City area hotels and neighborhoods

We want to ski a number of different areas near SLC (Alta for sure...) and I know a lot of skiers stay in Sandy, Midvale or Cottonwood. Are any of these area more interesting than the others or are they all just generic suburbs? Is there a part of SLC that would be interesting to stay in (lots of restaurants and shops to walk to at night, historic buildings, etc) but would also provide easy access out of town in the morning (to the ski areas)?
Easy access to the ski areas is the priority, but I'm trying to avoid staying next to a freeway, mall or office park, with fast food and chain restaurants as my only dining options, if possible. Thanks.

Dayle Oct 29th, 2009 01:18 PM

Christy,

Are you sure you want to stay in the valley rather than up in one of the canyons or Park City? Just a very different vacation and skiing experience, staying in the valley.

If ease of access to the ski areas is #1 priority AND you are renting a car, then I would stay in the Midvale or Cottonwood areas, but it is just suburbs. Some interesting restaurants though, not just chains. It would take you about 30 minutes up to Solitude and Brighton in Big Cottonwood, or Snowbird and Alta in Little Cottonwood.

If you are not renting a car, I would definitely stay in nearer the resorts. The buses are a hassle.

Downtown SLC is the most interesting area as far as historic buildings/homes and restaurants, but there is lots of major construction there for the next few years (some blocks are untouched and OK), but staying there will add about 20 minutes or more to your drive up the canyons.

Have you skied in Utah before?

christy1 Oct 29th, 2009 02:16 PM

Never. I normally do stay slopeside when on ski trips, but I'm told by other skiers that that's not a good idea in Utah if I want to do a different resort every day. I agree it seems like it will be a different experience and am trying to mitigate that by at least picking a cool area to stay in. I did look into lodging at Alta, which is the area I'm most excited about, and was not impressed by the choices. Everything looked too expensive or depressing and I don't like the full board requirement. There weren't many rental condo options at any of the BCC/LCC areas--I couldn't find any studio condos at all! Most were 2+ bedrooms. I know about Park City (I've been there in fall) but am more excited about skiing the LCC/BCC resorts, so I don't want to base there.

Maybe driving into downtown at night for dinner/walking around is the best option? We are renting a car.

BarbaraS Oct 29th, 2009 08:20 PM

How about staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott-Cottonwood. There are lots of great restaurants nearby (Trio, Market Street and La Caille) and it is at the base of BCC mountain.

Loki Oct 30th, 2009 06:13 AM

Keep in mind that if they get a big dump of snow, you may not be able to enter LCC as the road can be closed for avi control. So everyone at the resorts gets to poach fresh snow while you're stuck in Sandy or SLC waiting for it to open.

I've stayed in downtown SLC and don't find it very interesting at all. I either stay in Park City (which IS intersting) and ski PCMR, Canyons and Deer Valley, or I'll stay at Snowbird and ski Alta/Bird. I've never made it up BCC. Snowbird has some timeshares that you may be able to find rental options at through owners. I was able to get a room at Cliff Lodge for $79/nt.

christy1 Oct 30th, 2009 07:37 AM

Thanks Barbara and Loki--I'll check out those hotels/suggestions (thanks for the restaurants Barbara). Loki, I do know about the occasional closures (we have many closures for avy control here in WA too) but I'm told it's easy enough to go elsewhere if those roads are closed. I hadn't considered staying at Snowbird because I'm not sure the skiing there is the most appealing to me, but $79?? I will definitely look into it. Park City will be another trip--I am really honed in on Alta and Solitude this trip. (It's only a long weekend.)

Dayle Oct 30th, 2009 12:23 PM

christy,

If it's only a long weekend, then by all means stay at Alta or Snowbird. You can get a lift ticket that lets you ski back and forth between the two, but only if you ski. Boards aren't allowed at Alta as you may know.

I'm a long time Snowbird skier and it's my favorite resort!

Dayle Oct 30th, 2009 12:25 PM

PS - I meant to say that the combination of Snowbird/Alta is a huge area! Plenty to keep you busy for 3 days. You probably won't even make it over to Solitude.