Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City Airport

Search

Salt Lake City Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:49 PM
ladybug

Salt Lake City Airport

Please share tips on how to spend 4-5 hours at the Salt Lake City Aiport area with 3 young kids - morning to mid-afternoon period in July. Can't seem to avoid this crummy connection, and my first thought was a nearby airport hotel with frequent shuttle service.

Would really appreciate some ideas, especially from those who are familiar with this airport. Also, any hotel recommendations? THANKS VERY MUCH!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
Dan

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints offers a free shuttle to Temple Square, located approximately 6 miles from the airport. There are lots of things to do at Temple Square, including several tours and a museum. A free movie is shown at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building called the Testaments.

At the very least, you can get out of the airport.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:10 PM
Dayle

Ladybug, what a horrible flight! There is a children's museum in downtown SLC. You might also consider taking a "day room" at a nearby airport hotel & let the kids swim if it's summer.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
lucky

If that is 4-5 hours from arrival to departure...when given the added time of de-planeing..and re-boarding your connecting flight.you are now down to 3-4 hours. Since the freeway system is now completed, it a less than 10 minute and $12-15 taxi ride to downtown SLC. I quess you would have to make the call whether to head into the city for an hour or two. You could easily cruise thru Temple Square and return to the airport..but frankly, I am not certain
the juice would be worth the squeeze. There are several airport hotels within 5 minutes also.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
bm

Security in SLC airport is VERY TIGHT, tightest I've seen anywhere since 9/11. We were there at a non-busy time, so it took about an hour to get through everything. If you're going to be there during peak times during the day, I'm not sure I'd want to leave the airport! Just giving you a heads up.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Ladybug

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Helps put things in perspective for my daughter and her family, as we aren't familiar with the area at all.

Are there any facilities in the airport itself to kill some time with kids? For instance, a play area? (Come to think of it, though, I've never seen one anywhere else...wonder why??)

Thanks again, you-all!!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Dawn

Ladybug..
I am from Utah..and I know the airport very well...although it has change in the past three years due to the upcomping Olympics in SLC...I agree with bm that the security is EXTREMELY tight...probably more than any other airports I have been...(that is Hartford Connecticut and O'Hare Chicago) I wouldn't want to go too far from the airport...if I were you, pack plenty travel games (usually can find these in Walmart for good prices) and coloring books. I know you probably wouldn't want to sit down and color with them when the least place you want to be is in an airport. I have not heard if they have some type of play area for children. If you have a laptop that allows you to watch DVDs...get them some DVDs to preoccupy them. Wish I could give you more...but I wouldn't want to leave the airport...it is about 15 minutes from everything that children can do....Not only that in Utah during July is very hot and dry!! Staying in the air conditioned airport will keep your little ones comfortable.

You mentioned about hotel recommendations...I am assuming you are staying in SLC or are you not?? If you are, then by all means take your kids Airport Holiday Inn...they have a swimming pool...with some shaded trees too...I have always liked that hotel. They are good with you....and not far from there about 17 blocks south of the Hotel is a water park called Raging Waters...A great place to go and have fun!! Just as someone has said...there is a Children's Museum downtown SLC...it is not too far from the airport...probably about twenty mins.

The other two hotels that I know of that is close to the Airport is the Holiday Express (I think) and the Radisson...these hotels are fairly new, about ten years old. There is also another place downtown (North Temple and about 200 or 300 West or so) They have just built a big center called "The Gateway"...by the train station...My sister tells me this is a really awesome place to take your kids...maybe you can consider staying down town...that is not too far from the airport. The Airport hotels are located on North Temple and Redwood Road (1700 west) so as you notice, it is on the same line as North Temple but north about three to five miles up. I hope I am not confusing you with these directions!!

I hope this helps...if you have any questions about SLC...please don't hestitate to ask!! Have a great time...Best of luck!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Ladybug

Thank you for the latest tips! Dawn, the Salt Lake stop is only to make a connection (not stopping over in SLC). But your airport hotel info is especially helpful!

You know, I would think this thread could be useful to people heading to the Olympics this month. Hope some are checking it out.