Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Salt Lake City accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/salt-lake-city-accommodations-394557/)

Donna Feb 2nd, 2004 01:30 PM

Salt Lake City accommodations

Best place to stay in Salt Lake City with teenage son? Staying only 2 days in July. Should we stay in city center, resort area nearby? Price under $150 - under $100 even better. Thanks!

Dutch Feb 2nd, 2004 01:41 PM

When traveling with kids in SLC, I like staying at the Residence Inn. Seperate bedrooms, two TV's, a kitchenette, breakfast, etc. The SLC location is pretty good, only a three block walk to Temple Square, etc. Hotels in July are sometimes pricey due to events (24th of July, Art festival, etc.) You might check out Priceline to score some reasonable rates. Good luck.

bigtyke Feb 2nd, 2004 02:31 PM

stayed at the Howard Johnsons downtown in summer 2002. Good location, very nice price.

tcapp Feb 2nd, 2004 03:30 PM

We've been very happy with the Residence Inn. We'll be staying there again in March.

Donna Feb 3rd, 2004 09:39 AM

We are also thinking about visiting Thanksgiving Point - if we do, should we stay in Salt Lake or closer to this attraction? Also, is this worth seeing? thanks, again!

Bird Feb 3rd, 2004 09:47 AM

I would still stay in SLC. There is a new Dinasour museum at Thanksgiving Point. A nice golf course, a large theater, couple of restaurants, something like a working farm complete with smells. It's less than a half hour drive away. Our school age kids go about every year for field trips and they always enjoy it. For a full day activity, you might also drive up the canyon from American Fork and visit Timpanogas Cave. Your sons should like that.

Dayle Feb 3rd, 2004 10:33 AM

If you want the city experience, the suggestions above are great. Note that if you want to visit Timpanogas Cave, you need to make advance reservations (I think it's a State Park) or a time. High demand. Also, it's a short, but steep hike. Take water & a jacket & gloves - it's COLD inside!

My nephews had a blast in Park City last summer. They only had a day and went up to the base of Park City Mtn Resort, where there are super fun activities in the summer. An Alpine Slide and Zip Line, plus horseback riding, mini golf, etc., to say nothing of the mountain biking and hiking.

The hotel rates in PC in the summer are cheap!

Donna Feb 3rd, 2004 01:42 PM

We are going to be in the Yellowstone and Grand Teton area for the first part of the week and will drive back down to SLC and have one full day before we fly back home. That is a lot of car time and hiking time, so I thought some museum/golf/imax/gardens/shopping time would be in order. Our son is 17. Is Park City doable or should we go directly to SLC?

Dayle Feb 5th, 2004 08:07 AM

Donna,

Park City is only a 30 minute drive from the SLC airport. It's a toss up as to which driving route to take from Jackson, WY. You can go through Evanston, WY on Hwy. 89 which will take you to Park City, or you can go down I15 straight to SLC.

Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Thanksgiving Point.