Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Salt Lake City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/salt-lake-city-616885/)

cate144 May 19th, 2006 12:41 PM

Salt Lake City

Just wondering about Salt Lake City. I am from Vancouver BC, so when people ask me if it's worth it to tour around the city, of course I say yes. What is Salt Lake City like? From what I have seen on TV and such, it looks like an amazing city. Are there some really special great things to do if someone has a day to spend there? We are going to be travelling home form Moab. So is SLC a city NOT to miss? Or anywhere around SLC?

traveller1959 May 19th, 2006 12:53 PM

It is a pretty American city and a good starting point to explore the surrounding countryside. The main attraction is the Mormon Temple. Do not miss taking the tour (even if you are not religious). If you are there on Sunday you are lucky because you have the opportunity to go the concert of the world-famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir. For southwestern dining, we liked the "Barking Frog" with an excellent selection of blue agave tequilas (I don't know if it still exists).
In the area, I especially recommend Dinosaur National Monument (1 hour is sufficient to visit if you are in a hurry).

drbeier May 19th, 2006 01:10 PM

I disagree. There isn't much going on in SLC (except the Mormon Temple) and you've got lots of pretty mountains in Vancouver. What you don't have is Red Rock country; e.g. Capitol Reef park, or Bryce and Zion if you have the time.

tcapp May 19th, 2006 01:23 PM

I like Salt Lake. I also love the canyons. I think it's a great place to visit. Park City is also another beautiful place.

Dayle May 20th, 2006 06:57 AM

Hi Cate,

You don't say when you are coming? If returning from Moab, taking a slight detour to spend a day in Capital Reef would be wonderful.

I wouldn't say SLC is a NOT to be missed city, but it is quite a clean and beautiful city with awesome outdoor activities within 5 to 30 minutes away from downtown.

A tour of Temple Sqaure is very interesting and gorgeous if you like gardens with zillons of perfect flowers. If you are into, or just curious, about geneology, the Family History Center is across the street from Temple Square. It's open to all and has the world's greatest data bank of geneoligical information. My aunt an uncle are hosts there.

The Tabernacle Choir rehearses on Thursday nights and performs on Sunday mornings. Both free.

Driving up either Big Cottonwood or Little Cottonwood Canyon to sample our high altitude mountains is a real treat. Both have realtively easy hikes at the very end of the canyon. Mid-July is peak wildflower season. Literally carpets of wildflowers and great photo ops with the mountains and remaining snow. You will probably see some moose too. Don't get too close!!

If you choose Little Cottonwood Canyon, you can take a ride up the Snowbird tram and enjoy even more spectacular scenery. Snowbird is still open for skiing until Mem Weekend. They also have some excellent restaurants and a hotel with a roof top pool and 5* spa.

Awesome hiking in both canyons, but mostly very strenuous, long and all but the lowest trails are still covered with snow if you are coming soon.

Park City, my town, is another whole visit. Galleries, restaurants, shopping, hiking, biking, hot air balloons, boating, windsurfing, water skiing, world class fly fishing, horseback riding, Art and Jazz festivals, the Uinta Wilderness a 40 minute drive east of PC.

Is this enough?? You'll need to plan another whole trip!

Presocia May 20th, 2006 08:57 AM

Things I like to do in Salt Lake City (if I had a day):

View Temple Square from the top floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (Main St & South Temple)

Tour the LDS Conference Center

Visit the new City Library Plaza. Great panoramic views from the top. You'll notice some similarities to your library in Vancouver, as it has the same architect.

Red Butte Gardens (near the University of Utah/Medical Park)

If you need retail therapy, try The Gateway outdoor shopping area. Eat a cookie from Ben's Cookies for me!

cate144 May 21st, 2006 12:29 PM

thanks for the info everyone! and yes, a whole new trip could easily be planned by the sounds of it!