Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Salishan Resort, Oregon - have you been there?

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is featured on skyauction.com. Wondering if anyone has stayed there and if so, do you recommend it? Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM

Numerous times, but not in the last couple years It has had a facelift recently, but I still don't care for the location. It is not right on the ocean. All the rooms are across the highway, but the shopping center area is on the ocean side. Depending on what you are looking for it might fit the bill, but if you let us know what you want we might be able to suggest something better.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM

This used to be THE place to stay on the coast, but I believe now it is most attractive for its golf course. If you want a room on the ocean, it isn't for you.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM

"...but if you let us know what you want we might be able to suggest something better."

Aww, c'mon mms!! Only if orangetravelcat is looking for a spa could we not come up with something better. Even then, maybe. ;-)
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Ok, sounds like this might not be the place for us. Coming from the desert, we would want to be right on the ocean. What about the Overleaf in Yachats? Thinking of 3rd week in September to celebrate my birthday. Want to be able to see waves crashing, sit in front of a fire, have some great clam chowder...
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM

For "waves crashing" I can't think of a better situated place than Overleaf Lodge (you might worry that they'll be crashing into your room). And the couple rooms we've stayed in there have had fire places, too. No on-site restaurant though, so you'll have to find that clam chowder either next door at the Adobe or somewhere in town.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM

Right next door to Overleaf (and operated by Overleaf) is The Fireside, where many rooms have a balcony and great water views (and some have fireplaces). We stayed there in November, on our way to California. There was a big storm at sea--quite a spectacle.

The Fireside is more of a standard motel and the rate doesn't include breakfast. But it is operated with the same level of thoughtfulness as the Overleaf and it costs about half as much. We love the place.

http://www.firesidemotel.com
http://www.overleafspa.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Overleaf in Yachats. Wondering how might also be able to incorporate some fall foliage viewing into this trip and will post a separate question about that.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM

September is early for fall foliage in OR and WA. Peak color tends to be in late October and early November.

If it works into your travel plans, OR-38 between Reedsport and Curtin is our favorite east-west drive in Oregon as it follows the Umpqua River.

HTTY
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM

The Overleaf is great, but if you want a white-tablecloth dining experience you will have to walk past the Fireside to the Adobe Inn. Overleaf has only a continental breakfast.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM

DH has been there a number of times for a meeting and he says that the place is wonderful and the food first rate. Above is correct that it is not on the ocean, but it is nestled in a beautifully wooded setting.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

Sorry did not read above replies, I was answering original query re: Salashan.......