Salem, MA to Portland, ME

Old Jun 30th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salem, MA to Portland, ME

Planning on driving up from Salem, Mass. to Portland later this summer as part of a New England trip. Looking for ideas on any spots to hit on the way up? Looking to potentially go on a whale watch in Rye, N.H., but looking for any other recommendations during this drive!
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 01:37 AM

If you don't do whale watch, the Portsmouth NH boat trips are very interesting, both the harbor and inland rivers. Boat dock is within walking distance of parking garage. The narration is good. Scenery is great.

Do you want some easy hikes? There are a lot of places around Portsmouth. Wagon Hill Farm in Durham is now open to the public as a conservation area. There's a trail down to the water that goes along the shore and loops back to the farmhouse. You can't see the water from the road so until we walked it, I never knew the farm fronted on the bay.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 01:54 AM

Will second Portsmouth -- good historic houses to tour and surprisingly good food for a town this size. Exeter is worth a stop as well, as is Hampton Beach.

In southern Maine, consider York, Ogunquit, the Kennebunks, South Berwick, or Old Orchard Beach. And in northeast Massachusetts, places like Newburyport or Ipswich are more or less on the way there.