Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Saint Louis, Missouri (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/saint-louis-missouri-972967/)

269rhl Apr 3rd, 2013 08:44 AM

Saint Louis, Missouri

We are thinking of taking Amtrak to St. Louis for a weekend. We will be traveling with 3 kids (ages 11-14). What is there to do and see in St.Louis besides the Arch. Do we need to rent a car?

rizzo0904 Apr 3rd, 2013 08:51 AM

Zoo is free. Grant's Farm. City Museum. We were supposed to go this month....

sweetsandyc Apr 3rd, 2013 08:52 AM

Where will you be coming from? I've heard long trips on the Amtrak are uncomfortable. Maybe you can just a rent a minivan with unlimited miles and drive there if its reasonable. I'm sure that you will find lots of fun places to stop along the way, depending on where you are coming from. :)

Good luck!

DianeGermaine Apr 3rd, 2013 10:38 AM

If you book "first class" tickets, the seating is more comfortable. My mother and son both enjoy their train rides in first class.

City Museum, the Zoo and Forest Park, Cardinals baseball, Art & History Museums (also in Forest Park)-- a few years ago they had a great baseball exhibit, botanical gardens, Science Center...

you might be able to get around on the Metrolink.

loveyblue Apr 3rd, 2013 10:42 AM

You will definitely want to rent a car!
Loveyblue

Bitter Apr 3rd, 2013 01:00 PM

I did this years ago. Had to take a taxi to the hotel, because we got in late, but otherwise traveled by foot or the metrolink, which took us from arch/Laclede's landing, to Union station, all the way to Forest park. (I think we caught a shuttle into the park at the metro stop, though).

That was probably 8-10 years ago, though. I don't think the best attraction, City Museum, is on the line.

annesherrod Apr 8th, 2013 07:13 AM

You definitely need a car. The great thing is that there are many FREE things to do!

~ ZOO
~ ST Louis Art Museum - from 1904 Worlds Fair - beautiful architecture
~ Grants FArm - perfect for your age of children
~ Purina Farm

You can rent paddle boats at Forest Park and eat lunch at the Boat house, rent bikes there, taking a walking tour.

Cardinal Baseball!!

Union Station is horrible these days - don't bother.

There are a tons of Free festivals/fairs all over the city - check out STLtoday.com for some ideas.

wtm003 Apr 8th, 2013 07:40 AM

Great ages for the City Museum!

stokebailey Apr 13th, 2013 11:29 AM

As someone who uses public transportation a lot, I say if you stay near Metrolink there are plenty of things to do for a weekend without a car, between walking and Metrolink or bus.

The Forest Park Shuttle goes to FP Metro stop. The Zoo, Art Museum, Science Center and History Museum are all worth a visit and free. You can rent bicycles at the FP Visitor Center, and ride the bike paths around or through the park.

The Central West End has restaurants and coffeehouses, is a good place to walk. Young people will enjoy the street life and shops in the U. City Loop.

I would call Union Station deserted but not horrible (Sorry annesherrod!) after recently attending a wedding there. A peek into the hotel lobby is always impressive. I agree it's no longer an entertainment destination.

If you decide to do it and need specifics, let us know.

nanabee Apr 14th, 2013 06:32 AM

The St. Louis Zoo is very nice - and this is from someone who lives in San Diego!

Sadly Union Station is not what it used to be back in the 90's. It's pretty much deserted.

I'd definately take in a Cardinal game if you like baseball.