Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Safety of Central Park after 8:00 PM (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safety-of-central-park-after-8-00-pm-524046/)

sandypaws3 Apr 25th, 2005 10:27 AM

Safety of Central Park after 8:00 PM

I notice that Shakespeare in the Park is in Central Park and at 8:00 PM. Central Park is a place I've always heard is best to avoid at night Has anyone gone to Shakespeare in the Park? If so, did you feel safe because of the crowds?

Sandy

Gekko Apr 25th, 2005 10:52 AM

It's not even close to dark at 8pm in the summer in NYC, so no worries (not to mention the huge crowds). In my opinion, regardless of the season but particularly in the warmer months, Central Park is "safe" until at least an hour or two after sunset.

nytraveler Apr 25th, 2005 11:13 AM

I wouldn;t wander alone at Central Park at 3 in the am, but with a group or activity you're safe there anytime - and anyone is safe there until at least 11pm or so - provided you don;t do anything stupid.

(There was a lot of publicity lately about two young girls who were attacked in Riverside Park. It turned out they snuck out of the hotel at 4am to smoke - what is unspecified - met a strange man in the street - accepted some drinks from him - and then accompanied him to a dark area of Riverside Park. Then their mother complained that NYC isn;t safe! If you don;t have the sense not ot behave like that - you're not going to be safe anywhere - and shouldn;t be out alone without a babysitter.)

SZ Apr 25th, 2005 11:17 AM

There are no guarantees in life, but I think you'd be safe at Shakespeare in the Park. The show ends at 11 pm or so, and the audience leaves the Delacorte Theater in a pack. I've gone many times and have never felt unsafe.

Ryan Apr 25th, 2005 11:54 AM

I've been to Shakespeare in the Park on several occassions. There are more than enough people leaving at the same time as to make even the most skittish person feel safe. If heading over to the East Side, I might advise some caution and suggest you follow along with other people heading that way, especially if unfamiliar with the Park.

But, to get to the West Side, you shouldn't have a cause for concern. This is a major NYC attraction and prominent centerpiece for the City in the Summer. I have to believe the NYPD and Park police are aware of the risk from negative press surrounding it.

Depending on what productions they are doing and who is performing, your biggest challenge might be getting tickets.

I went several years ago when Patrick Stewart was in The Tempest, which required getting in line at 5:00 a.m for a weekend ticket.

sandypaws3 Apr 26th, 2005 10:29 AM

Thanks to all for setting my mind at ease! Ryan, Oh my... Patrick Stewart -- I would have loved to have seen that :-) I'm sure getting tickets to Shakespeare in the Park will be a challenge, but I feel better about going now.

Sandy