Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   safety of blue line to O'Hare at night (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safety-of-blue-line-to-ohare-at-night-625984/)

sandypaws3 Jun 23rd, 2006 09:34 PM

safety of blue line to O'Hare at night

In August, we're staying at a hotel out by O'Hare. We're taking the blue line into Chicago, which we're fine with, but we're thinking of having dinner in Chicago and taking the blue line back. Since it's liable to be after 9:00 PM, we thought we'd take a cab, but someone on tripadvisor mentioned that it's $35 to 40 to take a cab to O'Hare. That's a little steep, so we're back to thinking of taking the blue line instead of a cab, but wondering about the safety after 9:00 PM. We may end up just heading back early and eating near the hotel. We usually do stay in downtown Chicago, but stayed at this hotel when we had a morning flight to San Francisco, and really liked it. We got a good rate for a suite, like getting a 4 star for the price of a 2 star.

Sandy

CAPH52 Jun 23rd, 2006 10:44 PM

You don't mention what day of the week, but I think you'd be fine taking the el. We live in the western suburbs and have taken the blue line in the other direction many times at night with no problems. To be perfectly honest, I'd be a little nervous about taking it alone after 9:00. But, since you say "we", you obviously won't be alone. And I think that the neighborhoods you pass through between downtown and O'Hare are better than the ones we pass through.

sandypaws3 Jun 24th, 2006 04:35 AM

Caph,
Thanks for your help! It will be a Saturday night, and my husband will be with me, so I won't be alone.

Sandy

CAPH52 Jun 24th, 2006 07:51 AM

I'm hoping you'll hear from someone who has experience taking the Blue Line to O'Hare in the evening. But my guess is that there would tend to be more people taking it later on a Saturday. Especially if there's a ball game or something going on.

amaclise Jun 24th, 2006 09:24 AM

You will be fine. That end of the Blue Line goes through very nice neighborhoods and has a very O'Hare oriented ridership.

Stay down and watch the fireworks at Navy Pier and go back even later.

sandypaws3 Jun 24th, 2006 01:17 PM

I feel much better about taking the blue line at night now. I'd forgotten about the fireworks at Navy Pier :-) Thanks, amaclise. CAPH, that makes sense that there would be more people going on the train on Saturday. That was my concern, that it would be desserted, but seems that's not the case.

Sandy

indytravel Jun 24th, 2006 02:52 PM

My brother worked at O'Hare for years. I ran into lots friends of his who were women in the airline business. They never minded taking the blue line. Though none would consider off hours on any other line.

The blue line is so airport intensive with flight attendants, pilots, mechanics, etc. taking it pretty regularly 24/7.