Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Safety in Travel in Northern Arizona (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safety-in-travel-in-northern-arizona-1664632/)

SueBSouth Mar 11th, 2019 04:31 PM

Safety in Travel in Northern Arizona

My sister and I will be in the Sedona area in late September and we like to poke along the Road Less Traveled. Should we be concerned as two women traveling alone about pulling off into random picnic areas and trails in the area mostly midweek and less traveled times?
I live in a city and she lives on a farm. This is all new territory to us, so we have no idea what to expect. I don't want "fear" to keep us from experiences nor "naivete" put us in harms way!
Thank y'all in advance for any sound, non-judgmental advice!

MmePerdu Mar 11th, 2019 05:08 PM

The biggest worry that I know of in rural Arizona, where I spent 25 years, is flash floods in monsoon season, not generally an issue in September. There aren't actually all that many roads that won't have traffic unless you go off road which you probably won't want to do. If your car is a rental I believe unpaved roads are against the rules. All this to say go wherever you like on paved roads, you'll be unlikely to be alone and you'll be perfectly safe.

wtm003 Mar 12th, 2019 07:32 AM

We were in Sedona mid-week almost two weeks ago and it was busy. I'm not sure what you're expecting or planning as far as the "Road Less Traveled" but even during our off-road Pink Jeep tour we saw plenty of hikers and mountain bikers.

bailey123 Mar 12th, 2019 08:56 PM

I doubt you will find the "road less traveled" as a tourist but if you want to be prepared, carry mace.

suze Mar 13th, 2019 02:13 PM

On this kind of 'adventure' and trying to get 'off the beaten path' ... I would always be more concerned about having a 100% reliable vehicle, plenty of gas, spare tires you know how to change, good road maps and/or GPS, safe places to sleep at night, etc. more than concern for personal safety in a picnic area.

(I have zero experience in northern Arizona but generally speaking for two women alone on a road trip.)

StantonHyde Mar 13th, 2019 06:07 PM

I drive all over Southern Utah by myself or with my two kids. NEVER have had a problem!!! You will be fine. I am more concerned for my safety in a big city than I am on a trail. Have a full tank of gas, 2 gallons of water, some food, and other emergency supplies. First aid kit is good. And that's it! (obviously use common sense, but I wouldn't worry)

breckgal Mar 14th, 2019 03:59 PM

Fill up the gas tank whenever you can and don't count on having cell phone service all the time. Buy a good paper map.

5alive Mar 14th, 2019 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by StantonHyde (Post 16887238)
I drive all over Southern Utah by myself or with my two kids. NEVER have had a problem!!! You will be fine. I am more concerned for my safety in a big city than I am on a trail. Have a full tank of gas, 2 gallons of water, some food, and other emergency supplies. First aid kit is good. And that's it! (obviously use common sense, but I wouldn't worry)

Just a thought. I too think you will be fine. But I do know people of color have sometimes experienced negative comments while hiking. I don't know your background, so this point may not even apply to you. This article addresses the issue.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdo...cape/91202800/

SueBSouth Mar 15th, 2019 05:40 PM

Thank you all for your input. I feel that we are going to be just fine. I have already thought alot about the environmental safety of having lots of water and a safety travel kit (compass, whistle, leatherman, first aid kit, etc). I DID not think that there would be cellular gaps, thank you breckgal but my sis and I do have two different service providers which might help in terms of coverage one to the other.
My thoughts on this originated in a google earth view of the top of Mingus Mt (there are fire opals there they say!) and a picnic area and lake recreation area, so I thought, what the hey, throw out the question. Any and all help appreciated!

odie1 Mar 18th, 2019 04:40 PM

I am more familiar with the remote areas of the White Mountains of Arizona. If you are planning on taking some of the Forest Service roads, I would, as almost everybody has already responded, certainly at the least, have basic survival gear with you-2x water especially, some food, warm clothes and a tank full of gas. The best thing you can do before heading out is to give someone your planned itinerary and tell them when you expect to return and when you would want them to call the authorities if they don't hear from you. It is beyond easy to get lost on all of the FS roads. You can stop at any Ranger Station and pick up maps that show all of the various dirt roads that are otherwise not on many maps (look especially for the OHV vehicle maps) or you can order forest service road maps on line.
As far as personal safety, I personally do not enter the back country-ie Forest Service dirt roads, trails etc., without personal protection-the choice would be up to you and what you are comfortable with. Now, in the 30 years of having a cabin in the mountains of AZ and driving thousands of miles of back roads, I have never personally felt the need to use it nor been in a situation where I was relieved I had it, but my mother has-walking a relatively well traveled dirt road, in a popular vacation town, albeit very early in the AM. She was relieved to have a very protective Great Dane that raced from the hills when a truck full of men pulled up and began to verbally harass her. It is rare to hear of something bad happening in the backcountry areas but, I prefer to be prepared, just in case.

odie1 Mar 18th, 2019 04:42 PM

Oh yes, and you should absolutely be prepared for laps in cell service. We have a satellite phone we carry with us wherever we go (international too) but not everyone can do that so again-tell someone (or two) your land route and timeframe.

mlgb Mar 20th, 2019 09:53 AM

I second the advice of trying to find a knowledgeable person to ask before heading off the beaten path. They'll likely know about whether or not there are any crazies in the area, whether there is any recent road damage, etc. When I'm traveling on my own, I try not to spend too much time away from my car if a rest stop or picnic area is isolated, e.g. if you're the only car when you pull in.

At one point in my solo travels around the Utah National Parks, I had an old book that recommended going to Colorado City for photography... which is where the Warren Jeffs loonies lived. Fortunately I mentioned it to one of the staff at my hotel in Springdale and he warned me off. There are definitely some "issues" up along the Utah/Arizona border (on both sides), if you aren't aware of the Lost Boys around Hurricane that's also an eye-opener.

Also check to see if you can download or purchase some of the Forest Service Maps in advance. The offices aren't always open or are not where you need them to be. A charged power bank and spare cellphone (even one that isn't activated) isn't a bad thing if you are relying on downloaded maps and GPS.

Never rely on Google Maps directions for wayfinding!

There are some other aps out there that I find more reliable, although you need to first download a map view, they will locate you on the map via GPS without service.

StantonHyde Mar 20th, 2019 06:37 PM

In the 40+ years I have explored the back country of many states, I have NEVER carried a weapon or mace. EVER. I have never needed it. You will be fine. Have a real map--I guess I think of that as a no-brainer but I live here and know that cell service is not a given. Check on road conditions--wash outs, etc. I ALWAYS check in with rangers or the BLM office or a visitors center to get the up to date info. But otherwise, you will be just fine.

schlegal1 Mar 21st, 2019 10:00 AM

"cell service is not a given."

And having two different service providers doesn't help. Hard as it is for city dwellers and suburbanites to believe, there are places in the rural USA where "No Service" means just that.

MmePerdu Mar 21st, 2019 01:56 PM

If you really want cell service & aren't getting it, sometimes it helps to go up a mountain. Was going to say "get high" and that can help sometimes too. Anyway, I've gotten service unexpectedly on top of mountains.

gbelle1 Mar 22nd, 2019 09:35 AM

I haven’t been to Arizona, but I have Eagle Scouts who have done camping. They say to watch out for wildlife in the mountains. Creatures like: mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, snakes, poisonous spiders.

StantonHyde Mar 23rd, 2019 09:11 AM

Oh for heavens sake! I live in the foothills of Salt Lake City. All winter long, we have had a momma bobcat and her yearling kitten in the neighborhood. No pets have been eaten, let alone people. Coyotes are only an issue in February/March when they are having puppies. They shoo away quite easily and are very shy. Cougars are scary but in all my years backpacking through southern Utah, the Grand Canyon, etc I have NEVER seen one--not even from the car. They are more of an issue in the winter or if you are moving fast--mountain biking/running. The only precaution I take is I don't run the trails in the winter before 9am because that's when the deer are moving and cougars are hunting. Same for not running at dusk/dark on trails. Snakes--yep, snakes can be an issue. Take the usual precautions for snakes--don't put your hands in crevices or in rocks, avoid rock walls, always look over a log before you step over it, etc. Spiders--just black widows really. Don't put your hands in crevices. Scorpions can be an issue--don't rest your hands on trees with bark, check out a log before you sit on it. You aren't backpacking or there are some other things to look out for when setting up tents.

You will be just fine.

HappyTrvlr Mar 23rd, 2019 07:05 PM

We have all those critters in our Tucson neighborhood. They usually run away or we go inside the house.
Cell service is a real problem when out of urban areas. GPS sttill works though.
As everyone has already said, Sedona is far from “off tne beaten path.”

rossbear Jul 21st, 2019 05:26 AM

Hello. What emergency supplies do I need to take with me if I'm going to travel alone? Should these be the best emergency kit? Or I can assemble such a set myself? Can you tell me how to do better?

marvelousmouse Jul 23rd, 2019 01:35 AM

I kind of agree about the unlikelihood of “road less travelled” where you’re going. Even where I am, I have to get pretty far away from, well, anything remotely interesting to tourists to see no tourists during hiking season. Anywhere that you read about—it’s a pretty good chance that hundreds of your fellow tourists have read about it as well.

I absolutely agree that that you need a real, detailed map and common sense. Don’t ever count on cell reception. Look at your map before starting out so you have some idea of lay out. I have Verizon, which is actually fairly good for the west, but there are a lot of places that I wouldn’t consider the boonies that have get spotty coverage. Always think “worst case scenario”—and I’m not talking about cougars. I mean do you have enough water to last you if you break down in the middle of nowhere? Decent footwear in case you need to walk a few miles? Is there a spare tire? Do you have jump cables? My worst “stranded” moment was around tons of people at crater lake np. No cell service. Park service had no phone that day for whatever reason. Every single person that passed me was a tourist in a rental with no jump cables. I must’ve asked 20+ cars. I’ve never met so many non-Oregonians in Oregon before. I’d lent my cables to a relative because I didn’t expect to be stranded in a NP parking lot of all places. I wasn’t really stranded, of course, but you never know. I was awfully relieved that my car did start up eventually!

eta: just looked at dates. Rossbear, best to start your own thread.