Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Safety in Savannah (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safety-in-savannah-618398/)

mrs_harris May 25th, 2006 08:40 AM

Safety in Savannah

What are some areas we should avoid? Thanks!

gail May 25th, 2006 09:38 AM

I am assuming your question is as a visitor, not potential resident. In short, anything after dark.

Our son is a college student in Savannah, living off-campus. His college has a scattered-site campus, mostly in the Historic District. Students are told that Savannah is a small city, acting like a large one. They are cautioned from walking alone after dark anywhere - it is advice I would take. He says "everyone knows you just don't do that".

There has been a perceived (do not know if it is statistically verified) increase in street crime in the past year. This is partly due to several more highly publicized cases of street assaults which seem to have occured randomly. I know it has a higher property crime/car theft rate than we have in suburban Boston, since his property/car insurance is higher living there than here for same coverage.

I would feel completly comfortable anywhere during daylight hours. I would feel comfortable in more popular areas of Historic District with another adult in early evening. I would avoid any of the squares alone after dark. I would not walk in the late evening/early AM hours.

There is an area called Midtown, which is not a town or mid-anything about 2-3 miles from Historic District which is a street of large mall (Oglethorpe), smaller strip malls and big box stores. Many less expensive hotels are located here. Since no one walks anywhere around there, I would consider that a safe area in which to stay - you would have to drive to get to dinner, sights, etc.

All this said, do not be terrified of Savannah. None of what I have mentioned above is any different behavior than I would use in any city - I think people tend to get lulled by the gentle southern surroundings and forget any street sense they arrived with.

FreakForGhosts Jun 1st, 2006 05:24 PM

There is a great deal of hype surrounding Savannah's crime problem. It sells newspapers. My wife and I felt that Savannah's streets were very safe at night. If anything, the city is guilty of parking fascism. What a deterent for visitors and we felt very bad for people trying to run businesses downtown. Anyway, don't believe the crime hype. What we found with just a little investigation on our own is that the "hype" of warnings is more about hoteliers and others fearing being sued. It would also help if the city didn't add to people's concerns by posting signs in the some of the parks and stickers on parking meters that evoke and inspire fear of safety. It basically keeps people on edge and is highly uneccessary. Incidentally, the visibility of the police force is so high that it practically feels like the city is a police state. I mean if that's the kind of thing that makes you feel "safe", well then its your kind of town. Otherwise, for the rest of us, just smell the roses...no one will hit you on the head or take your wallet while they do.

gail Jun 1st, 2006 08:38 PM

I wonder what your "investigation" amounted to and how you know it is just about hoteliers getting sued.

I am also wondering, having read all your posts about Savannah from 6/1, what your proprietery interest is in certain businesses in Savannah, especially Sixth Sense Ghost Tours - just call me suspicious.

starrsville Jun 1st, 2006 10:05 PM

Sounds like the same guy (with a different screen name) that popped up in October to post several times (with ads) and was never heard from again.

Same kind of post. Same amount of posts in 1 day. Sounds like this board is haunted! :-)