Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   safety in Atlanta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safety-in-atlanta-114857/)

Amita Mar 26th, 2001 12:51 PM

safety in Atlanta?

I posted a question a couple of months ago about Atlanta. I'm going down there in May, staying in the Summerfield Suites in Buckhead on Pharr Road. I recently read a couple of posts saying that Buckhead isn't that safe, especially on Sunday nights. We'll be there Friday through Monday. Just wondering if there are any streets we should try to avoid when we drive home from dinner on Sunday, or if there are any other precautions we should take beyond the usual. Thanks in advance!

xxx Mar 26th, 2001 01:15 PM

Buckhead has gone from a collegiate and yuppie hangout to a war zone filled with hoods, pimps, and urban kids. Sunday nights are the worst with the Bars Hip Hop nights but Friday and Sturday are increasingly just as scary. Head down to the Highlands for a safer more enjoyable visit.

frankburns Mar 26th, 2001 01:43 PM

That's what I have heard as well. Buckhead becomes a 'Jungle" at night.

Amita Mar 26th, 2001 02:41 PM

Geez. Pretty scary. I'm locked into this hotel reservation, so I can't switch to another. If I drive in and out of the neighborhood to get around, will I be ok?

Mel Mar 27th, 2001 04:46 AM

Buckhead is not a war zone. Just like anywhere you visit, you need to be careful at night. Someone suggested you visit Virginia Highlands--it's very nice, just more laid back than Buckhead.

J T Kirk Mar 27th, 2001 05:13 AM

Buckhead isn'"un"safe. It has gotten more boisterous than normal. And you need to be careful crossing the streets (there have been some hit and run accidents, mostly involving large amounts of alcohol on part of both the driver AND the person(s) crossing the street.) there are some nice clubs and restaurants in Buckhead. But it does get loud and congested. Virginia Highlands is a nicer place, but it too gets congested on the weekends. Still, I'd head to Virginia Highlands. It has more of a neighborhood feel to it. And there are some great restaurants there, as well as bars. And some good shopping too. It'll be about a 30 minute drive from where you'll be in Buckhead.

xxx Mar 27th, 2001 07:25 AM

It's a nice place if you're a hood/gangsta/pimp/brotha.............

Amita Mar 27th, 2001 10:05 AM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your input. Turns out it will be too expensive for me to switch to a hotel closer to Virgina Highlands. I will certainly visit Virginia Highlands while I'm there. What you folks have said about Buckhead really doesn't sound any worse than some parts of NYC, where I live, so I shall take my chances in the 'hood and let you know how it goes. Thanks again! :)

Sharon Mar 27th, 2001 10:06 AM

In case you blockheads didn't notice Buckhead is in Atlanta and if you don't like it stay in Cobb County where you belong. Don't believe this crap. Buckhead is safe...it's one of the richest areas in the city. Like in any URBAN area or anywhere else be aware of your surroundings at night. The weekends are crowded with partiers (mainly frat boys and sorority debutantes) getting wasted at Lulu's Bait Shack. There's great shopping in that area also. <BR>

xxx Mar 27th, 2001 10:40 AM

Oh, Sharon, I'm afraid you haven't been to Buckhead in a while. Things have changed there, especially Sunday nights. <BR> <BR>Amita, you don't want to be driving around late on Sunday or you'll get caught in one huge cruising traffic jam.

frankburns Mar 27th, 2001 11:20 AM

I concur. Buckhead used to be a fratboy hangout with the most violence an occasional drunken fistfight. Nowadays the animals have turned it into a typical hip hop gangsta nightmare. I wish they'd go back to the hood and let "blackhead" return it's previous glory.

Sharon Mar 28th, 2001 08:29 AM

I'm not gonna get roped into defending Buckhead because I really don't like hanging out there anyway. I just think it's gross misstatement to tell Amita she'll have to carry a .38 special on the way to her hotel. It was full of skank before the "pimps, hoods, and hip hop gangsters" got there and it will be that way forever. Rot breeds rot. <BR>The Highlands, on the other hand is a nice place hang out. You might want to try the Wyndam in Midtown. I think it's on 10th st.

Amita Mar 28th, 2001 08:59 AM

Thanks, Sharon. Funny you should mention the Wyndam in Midtown, because I did try to get us in there, but it would have cost a lot more $$, and we're really only going down for Emory graduation plus a little sightseeing, so it didn't seem worth it. Anyway, we will definitely be in early on Sunday because graduation is at 8AM Monday and I understand we have about 1/2 hour drive to campus (ugh). <BR> <BR>That said, does anyone know if there are a lot of clubs and such on Pharr Road near Piedmont Road? It looked like most of the hotels (and presumably most of the night spots) were concentrated a little north of where we're staying. <BR> <BR>Sorry, didn't mean to start a flame war here. :)

J T Kirk Mar 28th, 2001 09:43 AM

For what it's worth, Sharon, I'm with you. I don't think Buckhead, though it's not my cup of tea either, is a cesspool like these guys are trying to make out. <BR>Amita -- most of the bars and "happenin'" spot are closer, or right on, Peachtree Rd. So, you need to head west on Pharr to get to it. There are some places on Pharr, but they're closer to the Peachtree side than the Piedmont side. Although, frankly, you're only talking about a 2-3 mile stretch from Piedmont to Peachtree.

Chip May 27th, 2001 11:27 AM

For safety it is advised to stay outside of the perimeter highway known as I-285 at all times. There is nothing worthwhile inside, and ALL current financial, business, high end dining is outside with some isolated unsafe exceptions. Especially unsafe and unreliable is the parking situation in Buckhead and inside the Perimeter, where your car will be broken into, booted, or towed. It is so bad the local corrupt politicians in Atlanta passed laws to regulate (again) the parking booters. Remember Atlanta is where the Ray Lewis party had two homicides after the superbowl, ...yet unpunished. <BR>Sorry for the bad report but the city of Atlanta has earned it.

Jesse May 27th, 2001 05:31 PM

What a bunch of mamby-pamby elitist alarmists (most of) you guys are!!! <BR> <BR>Yes, Buckhead has changed over the past 3-4 years, but give me a break. Amita isn't likely to be walking the sidewalks outside the clubs looking for brawls, simply driving Peachtree through the area is not unsafe, and the same kind of areas exist in virtually every major city in this country. <BR>Sheeesh. This is becoming the land of the bubble children.

T.M. Jun 4th, 2001 10:13 AM

These posts crack me up. You would think Buckhead is a war zone where you need body armor. <BR> <BR>I'm not a Buckhead clubber myself so I cannot myself recommend the nighlife there. I don't go there at night because I'm not a party animal. <BR> <BR>But it is NOT dangerous to stay in a hotel there or to dine there. Some wonderful restaurants are in the area like Pricci and Cafe Tu Tu Tango. And there are even more places on quieter Piedmont like Buckhead Diner or Bones. <BR> <BR>The only reason to warn Amita about driving on streets in Buckhead is to avoid crowds. Not because she's going to be shot at. Believe it or not, there is fun to be had ITP (inside the perimeter). I doubt she and her group are going to be partying in a Buckhead nightclub at 3 a.m. like Lewis and his entourage were.

steve Jun 4th, 2001 06:17 PM

Whoa!! I live about 3 blocks from the Summerfield Suites on Pharr Rd and have never witnessed any of the horrors spoken of on the previous posts. True, Sunday night may not be the best night to bar hop in Buckhead if you leave the hotel turn left on Pharr Rd. head to Piedmont and turn right you can head to Virginia Highland. But don't worry--it's fine in that area. There's a little restaurant almost across the street from your hotel called Cafe de Nice which is reasonably priced and very good. Just across the street is a very popular Italian restaurant called Pricci which usually attracts a rather hip crowd. One street west is E. Paces Ferry Rd where you will find Aria one of the hottest restaurants in the city and Antica Posta a very upscale Italian restaurant. Also just by walking two blocks up Maple Ave you can go to the casual French bisto Soliel, upscale Grappa or the gourmet market Eatzi's.

Sandy Jun 4th, 2001 08:57 PM

My niece was raped and beaten in Atlanta last weekend. I don't suggest that you shouldn't visit, but please be careful when going out to the clubs!!

E.J. Aug 25th, 2002 02:16 PM

I am a young woman travelling alone on business from a Sun.-Thurs. and was planning on staying in downtown Atlanta, since I will be visiting the universities in the area. I live in Center City Philadelphia and never really feel threatened there, even if I am walking alone at night. But these postings are making me (just a little bit!) uneasy--would someone be able to compare downtown Atlanta to other urban areas, including Philly? Maybe that would help all of us first-timers to Atlanta put things into persepctive. Thank you!