Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Safe/Unsafe Cities? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/safe-unsafe-cities-542203/)

christine79 Jul 6th, 2005 05:45 PM

Safe/Unsafe Cities?

I'm going to be doing a road trip from CA to NY at the end of the month. I'm a little worried about driving and staying overnight at some hotels in some areas since I will really know nothing about the areas.

Should I be okay in these areas? I'm not sure which we'll end up be staying for a night for on the way.

-Santa Fe or Albuquerque, NM
-Amarillo, TX
-Oklahoma City, OK
-Memphis, Nashville or Bristol, TN

HotAlex Jul 6th, 2005 07:53 PM

CA to NY sawnds lyke a wunderful trip! kan eye kome plees? plees plees plees! I promis al bee gud!

kelliebellie Jul 6th, 2005 08:10 PM

I'm from Detroit, so everywhere is safer than here.

lyb Jul 6th, 2005 10:03 PM

Christine,

All of those cities have safe and unsafe areas, like most cities. Why are you worried about these particular cities?

PamSF Jul 6th, 2005 11:28 PM

whatever you do, stay away from Amarillo.

christine79 Jul 7th, 2005 12:48 PM

Why should I stay out of Amarillo? Can you explain?

Vittrad Jul 7th, 2005 12:58 PM

I'm sure if you stay in a hotel with a good reputation that is well known you'll be fine. It isn't like you are doing the transient hotel tour or anything. All cities have their good and bad sections (I'm from Chicago and have lived in the city proper for many years, so I definately know about this) ... just be smart about things and you'll be fine ... and Nashville is a lovely little city, I can't imagine you'd have any problems there (that is the only city on the list that I've been too).

ChristieP Jul 7th, 2005 01:05 PM

I think Pam was kidding. Amarillo is fine. I've been there several times and never had a problem. If you like horses, the headquarters of the AQHA is in Amarillo, and they have a gorgeous museum!

christine79 Jul 7th, 2005 01:18 PM

Okay, I just wasn't sure. I just wanted to be aware if I should be careful of any areas. Being from NY, I know there are some areas you just shouldn't be walking around at night. Because besides staying at a hotel at these places, we might want to walk around and go to a restaurant or bar to relax for a little.

designmr Jul 7th, 2005 01:30 PM

Christine79, glad you're choosing to bunk in OKC. Like most places, it has its seedy areas, but on the whole, it's a very safe city. Do know where you'll be staying?

I take it you'll be taking I-40. Downtown OKC is a bustling place you'll find interesting. If you want to make the most of your roadtrip, stay downtown and enjoy what it has to offer in its arts district and Bricktown. The rates aren't outrageous. The area around its hotels is very comfortable, even at night.

There are also a string of hotels/motels on Meridian on the city's west side north of the aiport. This area also is fairly safe.

If you have any questions, let me know.

ElendilPickle Jul 7th, 2005 01:36 PM

You'll be fine in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. I probably would not book a room near Coors and I-40 in Albuquerque right now because the interchange is being reconstructed and traffic is a mess.

Amarillo and Oklahoma City will be fine as well.

Lee Ann

girlonthego Jul 7th, 2005 03:23 PM

I have only been to Nashville and it was a nice city. We stayed at the Opryland hotel to get the whole country western theme.

gail Jul 7th, 2005 05:03 PM

Avoid Yuma, AZ and Utica, NY - for reasons unrelated to safety,

weimer Jul 7th, 2005 05:26 PM

Unless you are planning way ahead and staying in the the better areas of town, you will probaly staying in hotels off the highway. These will, for the most part not be the best hotels, and the restaurants will be the Applebee's type joint.

Do a little reseach and you could find some great places to stay and eat on this trip. I don't have specifics on the towns you are planning to stop in but check out past post (search by state or city)

Enjoy!