sad news of an Alligator attack on Sanibel

Jul 24th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

sad news of an Alligator attack on Sanibel

A woman who had worked on Sanibel for many years was attacked by an alligator while working. She later died of the wounds. I am linking the report.

I thought about whether to post this news or not, but have decided to as I often read of people wanting to see alligators when they come to Florida. They are everywhere and most often are not agressive but there are always exceptions. Alligators deserve our respect and distance: they are not a tourist attraction. I have seen people throwing food into the water trying to attract these creatures as I drive by one of the parks on Periwinkle. Perhaps they want their children to see one. There is no need to bait them, if your eyes are open you will notice them floating around like logs on a pond.

http://www.news-press.com/news/local...gatorfolo.html

LMF
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:34 AM
MSS

Funny thing, I awoke this AM to a newspaper article of this terrible tragedy that my husband cut out and left on the table for me to read since we frequently travel to Sanibel. People need to realize that they should NEVER feed wild animals of any type.
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Yes this is sad news. I didn't realize they were just everywhere as you state. I have also been to Sanibel. Wasn't she just in her yard, pruning trees? Well this was an aggrssive alligator. I don't know what makes some aggresive but feeding them is certainly a pre-curser to this type of incidence.
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:08 AM

She was a landscaping contractor just doing her job,,,it was a tragedy. LMF is right.....don't feed the alligators! I think this will change Sanibel's policy towrds nuisance gators.
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Another reason to carry a weapon.
M
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:26 AM
bluestructure

This Alligator was 12 feet long & 450 lbs!!! WOW!! Id like to know whats inside it and what its been feeding on, hopefully no one is missing in the neighborhood.

Jul 24th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Jim

Aligators not in wild life preserves should be shot.
Jul 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Well, that's a great solution. Let's just shoot everything - rather than say, oh, I don;t know, trying to understand what's going on and find a solution that works well for people and wildlife.
Jul 24th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

NYT, I read Jim's inane response earlier and was going to let it go but I think you could extrapolate this bone-headed thinking in some interesting ways.

SUVs are a great threat to passengers in smaller cars during an accident. Perhaps we should just go out and shoot the drivers.

I'm thinking of some other quips but coming up short. Trying for some sort of Jonathan Swift type satire. I need wine....LMF
Jul 24th, 2004, 10:18 AM

People need to realize that they should NEVER feed wild animals of any type. (QUOTE)

Not even my squirrels????>)

SUVs are a great threat to passengers in smaller cars during an accident. Perhaps we should just go out and shoot the drivers. (QUOTE)

Now, this idea I like!!!! "Make My Day"!
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I didn't know she died, LilMsFoodie! How awful.

I have had many vacations on Sanibel, and I have to admit I never go from condo to car or car to store without looking around. Those gators make me paranoid.

I can't help but wonder about something, though. Why would anyone go near fresh, standing water of any type in Florida - lakes, ponds, drainage ditches? I've seen signs on Sanibel near those pretty little fountains at the entrance of condo's (and in the parking lot of Holiday Inn) that warn you about alligators.

Just curious. (Forgive me - I live in Buffalo where there are no people eating animals).
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I meant to say no "people-eating" animals.
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:48 PM

No problem BuffaloGirl, I meant what you knew!

Happy (and safe) travels!
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:55 AM

Six years ago we were on Sanibel (first time in Florida) and spent lots of time in the wildlife refuge there and bicycling as well. At the time we were amazed and disappointed that we didn't see even one 'gator. Now having read this news, we'll just count our blessings.
Jul 25th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

This accident has posed some problems that will need addressing. Most of the gators in Florida never reach the size of this one. A 12 foot gator living in a residential area is definitely a threat. Sanibel is a tropical jungle and the mangroves and sea grapes need to be cut back frequently or they overtake the roads and yards. This poor woman was doing her job, taking care of someone's yard. It happens very seldom but it does happen and this is the second attack in recent time. Generally the consequences are not so dire.

When I first moved here, the community I lived in had several gators. As the place was developed they went on the move looking for another lake. One took the main street as his route. He was not happy when he ran into the guardhouse at the entrance. The guard called the gator trapper. Trapper wouldn't come to remove him unless he was over 6 ft. "how do I know how long he is?" asked the guard. "Measure the distance between his eyes...6" =6' etc. etc." was the trappers answer. " LOL.

Alligators do not attack humans generally. Something went terribly wrong here and the woman unfortunately can not tell us. I have to go to a house on Captiva this week that is deep in jungle landscape. I will keep my eyes open more than usual. LMF
Jul 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
MSS

Message: People need to realize that they should NEVER feed wild animals of any type. (QUOTE)

Not even my squirrels????

OK, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN SOMEONE WOULD POINT THAT OUT. Yes, I do feed the little squirrels and have many bird feeders in my yard, and have even fed the fish in my pond, but as of this time, I have no killer birds, squirrels, or fish.

NOT my point, though. Yes, I do feed them for entertainment purposes so that I may watch and observe them. Yes, it does cause them to leave their normal habitat to find the food that I leave them and makes them less dependent on finding food the way that nature intended. No I would not feed dangerous animals to view or attract their attention. Now...I feel better that I clarified myself and did not mean to stray from the subject.

Back on track, in the many years we have been going to Sanibel, we have only seen one which was in the preserve.
I guess we are lucky, considering there was supposedly one in the pool a few years ago in the condo units that we stayed in. Another thought, since we go out in the outlying areas frequently, maybe they really are there, but keep themselves very well camouflaged. Scary thought.
Jul 25th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I was very sorry to hear this news-I knew that the gator had bitten her arm off, but I thought she survived. But anyone who lives in Fla. or has visited frequently knows, -gators are just about EVERYWHERE WHERE THERE IS FRESH WATER. And anyone who would go into a lake, river or pond in Fla., is, IMO, taking their life into their hands-I really have seen gators everywhere-and it does seem that I am reading with increasing frequency of gators killing both animals and people in Fla. (last year a 12 year old boy visiting a local swimming hole in central Fla. was dragged under and killed by a 10 footer).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be confined to those gators who have been fed by people either. Through encroachment on their habitat, they are becoming far more aggressive, showing up in ditches and canals, in their search for food. In this instance, I believe the landscaper was working out back, and there was a pond adjacent to the property-the gator came out of the pond and dragged the lady into the water. Most disturbing.

Jul 25th, 2004, 11:11 AM
LN

I spend a tremendous amount of time in Florida but one aspect of this has me really confused. As another poster says "But anyone who lives in Fla. or has visited frequently knows, -gators are just about EVERYWHERE WHERE THERE IS FRESH WATER." I assumed (and yes, I know what happens when I do that) that the alligators WERE closer in the fresh water rivers and creeks and NOT out on an island such as Sanibel. Obviously an awful lot of alligators are out to prove me wrong.

Can they be found in the multitude of canals, ponds, etc. on the small barrier islands around Florida?

Thanks for any assistance on this.
LN
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM

LN: what additional information do you need-there are ponds and areas of brackish water all over the barrier islands of S.C., Georgia, Fla.-and where there is fresh water, there are alligators-so yes, they are in all of these places. You can do an internet search on this if you'd like additional information.
Jul 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
LN

As I said earlier - I'm not clear on certain things about alligators. Yes, I know that they like river, lakes, and ponds - fresh water - as I've researched it before posting my question - then how are they getting from the mainland out to the barrier islands like Sanibel? I'm not really aware of gators getting across the bay from Bradenton or Sarasota to Anna Maria Island or Longboat Key.

I have read many articles on the net as to Sanibel's alligators but that's about all I can find. In our area of Florida I read about the alligators at Myakka State Park.

When something like this happens you find yourself with unanswered questions especially since there's 300 alligators living on Sanibel.

Search this Thread