Sacramento area suites recommendations

Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Sacramento area suites recommendations

I am traveling to Sacramento with my daughter in early summer to attend an event at the Convention Center. I'm staying 10 days and want to keeps costs in line, so am looking to stay at a suites hotel -- need two bedrooms and a kitchenette (a must). I'm considering the Extended Stay hotels at Arden or Northgate, or perhaps the Lions Gate or Larkspur Landing. Does anyone have any advice/experience regarding these choices, or any others??? I don't want to stay anywhere dangerous, but it doesn't have to be fancy, either. Clean, reasonably inexpensive and in a safe area, and within 20 minutes of the Convention Center. Any insight would be most appreciated!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:33 AM

Are you going to have a car? That makes a big difference. If so, any of those would be OK. But all are far from the convention center.

I would avoid the Lions Gate - not because it is a bad property but because it is in an inconvenient location far from downtown.

The traffic in from the Larkspur Landing off of hwy 50 would be horrible in the mornings before your convention sessions. But it is the nicest of the 4. There is lightrail into Sacramento along Folsom blvd - but I don't think there are any shuttle buses from the hotel -- you might call them and ask. There isn't much else in the immediate vicinity.

If you won't have a car (or even if you do) - then the Arden Extended Stay would be the most convenient. There are buses that run along Arden Way that go to the nearby Arden Square shopping center (Cheesecake Factory, movie theater, Nordstrom, Macy's, penneys and 200 other stores).

The buses will also take you about a mile to a light rail station - light rail will take you w/i 2 blocks of the convention center.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. We will be renting a car, though if we don't have to take it to the Convention Center (parking???)that would help. Are you familiar with Hawthorn Suites? That's another one I've seen online, but have never been to.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Parking is plentiful downtown - but expensive (not high by SF standards but $9 to $10 a day if you park by 9 a.m.)

The Hawthorn Suites is on Bercut drive and is the closest to downtown - but is not good for public transport. It would normally only be a 5 to 10 minute drive depending on the time/day. But there is a fair amount of construction on I, J and L streets that you would be driving on and that could mean 5+ minutes for just one block.

I assume the event meets mostly on weekdays - right? If so being on a bus/lightrail line is your best bet. And the Arden Extended Stay is the best location both for transport and Arden Fair. And if you have a car you don't even have to wait for the buses - there are two light rail stations w/ safe free parking w/i a mile of the hotel. So you can make your own schedule - just drive 2 minutes to the light rail station and then hop on the train practically right to the Convention Center. Lightrail runs every 15 minutes so it is very convenient.

However, IF much of the activity is on the weekends - I'd choose the Hawthorn Suites because there is almost no traffic downtown on weekends.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:04 PM

There's also a Residence Inn right near 80 and 5. You'd still need a car, but it's close to downtown so the "commute" to the convention center wouldn't be bad.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:59 PM

But if budget is an issue, I think the Residence Inn will cost nearly twice as much as an Extended Stay.
Apr 25th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your help. Budget is a consideration because of the length of our stay...I know the Extended Stays are pretty sparse, but should be adequate. Our hope is to keep meal costs down with the kitchen. If you have any good recommendations for local restaurants (beyond all the chains), that would be great. We'll have an occasional breakfast and dinner out, but lunches we'll bring with us to the Convention Center.
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM

For breakfast, there's the Cornerstone at 24th and J (most popular) or Lucky Cafe (slightly better I think) at 21st and L. (Convention Center is at 15/16th and Capitol Ave, which would be "M" Street if it were called M Street).

You really should get out to these areas, east of the Convention Center into the high teens and twenties streets. There's some very big trees growing out there, huge English elms, very unusual for the middle of a city, and it's not at all threatening or dangerous, quite the opposite for the most part. Elegant old homes and apartment houses, well kept. There's a very nice b&b at about 20th and G, but probably rather expensive and without kitchen facilities.

Anyway, lots of restaurants and shops along J Street between 19th and 29th.
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Kal

Is The Embassy Suites in Old Town too small for your needs?

I think the one's on Gateway Oaks may have shuttles to/from Convention Center/Downtown.
Plus they are right off Garden Highway where you can have some restaurant choices.
Apr 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM

I stayed at Embassy Suites and loved it.
Apr 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I called Embassy Suites and they don't have kitchenettes (stovetop), which I need for the duration. Also, parking with my rental car would get expensive. I also called Residence Inn which, although pricier than Extended Stay, has a larger suite and supposedly hot breakfast...am wondering if it's a "real" breakfast! I've only stayed at a Res.Inn once before, and it was quite a bit nicer than Extended Stay. Just now wondering if it's worth the extra $$$. Anyone have local comparisons to share???
Apr 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM

There are 3 Residence Inns in Sacramento - either the W. El Camino or Howe Ave properties would be fine. Lots more restaurants/theaters/shopping near the Howe Ave location.

I haven't stayed in any of them since I live in a suburb of Sacramento but have stayed in Extended Stay's and Res. Inns in other areas MANY times. If the price difference isn't a deal breaker I'd choose Res Inn because the properties and suites are are much more upscale. The breakfasts are cooked - most Res. Inns do their B'fasts as buffets and a few as table service but all are full hot breakfasts.

There is nothing wrong w/ Extended Stay - but the units are sort of motel 6-ish. totally serviceable but nothing to write home about.
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM

The breakfast at the Residence Inns usually is scrambled eggs or something like that in a hot plate, along with bacon/sausage. Then they always have oatmeal, which for some reason I crave lately.... They also have "make your own waffles" as well as yogurt, muffins, and cereal.
Apr 26th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Now I just have to decide how much it's worth not to have to make (and clean) breakfast every morning!