S.F. Hotel with VIEW

Search

S.F. Hotel with VIEW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.F. Hotel with VIEW

Looking for a hotel with a view near Union Square for around $250 per night.

Also, what is the best airport to fly into. San Francisco or Oakland & why ... Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Best airport - in terms of what?

I would compare price, schedule, nonstop vs 1 stop. For us, we prefer OAK as we can fly non-stop and the fares are usually a little lower. [We fly Southwest]

As for getting into the city, if you are going to use BART - SFO is a little easier to use than OAK [you have to take a bus first, then BART].

IF you are renting a car, I would still take BART into city and rent from a city location, less fees. I would also not rent a car if you are only staying in city; public transit is great. IF you want to do day trips out of city; rent a car for just the day. Pick up in early AM and return it late that day. No overnight parking fees which are crazy expensive.

Hotel - a view of what? Don't think Union Sq hotels have much in the way of a view. A high floor may help.

When? Prices can be high during high season.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree, depends where you are going, and easier in what way.

SFO is a much larger airport, but it has direct BART connection (or taxis) into the city. Oakland is smaller and an easier airport to deal with imo. But you have to bus to the BART. I use Oakland when friends are driving to pick me up, because it's easier for them in that regard.

Sorry the Union Square hotels I know, none have views per se. It's a dense urban area. The view is across the street or of other buildings. For a panoramic view I think you'd need to be on the Embarcadero or up on one of the hills? Not sure, so will be interested to hear other replies.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Really for any "views" from Union Square hotels, you'd have to be up on the much pricier top floors - and that only applies to a few properties. The Fairmont and other hotels at the top of the hill (but probably not w/i your budget) or down along the Embarcadero would have better views.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Some of the rooms on the upper floors at the Intercontinental have a water view. It is a couple blocks from Union Square.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM

We stayed on the fourth floor at the Stanford in Nob Hill. We definitely could see water if we looked but I would agree it was more of an urban view that a view of the SF bay.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM

The Hilton on Union Square has spectacular views from the upper floors. You will have to shop rates and inquire about how specific they can guarantee your room location.

The restaurant, bar and executive lounge on the upper floors have one of the best views in town.

At the top of Russian Hill, the bay side, upper floors of the Fairmont have great vistas. These can be older rooms. As an older hotel, they have some real broom closets. Again, depends on what's happening as to what kind of price will be available.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM

If you fly into Oakland and want to take public transportation connections to get to SF - make sure it's during the day.

The bus stops at the Bart station - which is right next to the Oakland Colesium - and it can be a bit "iffy" there at times. While I am not one who gets hassled in public (even once worked as a bouncer during law school for a few extra denaro) -- I still keep my head on a swivel when I am waiting for the connection there.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Fairmont at the top of Russian Hill?

also, the Stanford Court is at the top of Nob Hill, so yes, it will have great views, but it's not Union Square. I personally would not want to stay on Nob Hill if I were a visitor to San Francisco - I like to walk out the door and "be somewhere"; when you walk out of your hotel on Nob Hill, you have to walk some very steep hills (VERY steep - our hills put Texas' hill country hills to shame) or take some form of transportation to get anywhere, even to the nearest Starbucks.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM

I have stayed here before it was Wyndham and yes it has rooms with views. Nice Union Square location too

http://www.parc55hotel.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM

I agree with Stumpworks. The Hilton, the upper floors have great views.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to ALL !!