Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

rv travel from orange county,ca to yellowstone national park

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a good route to follow and places to camp from South Orange County, CA to Yellowstone National Park? We will be traveling in August and have 2-3 days to get to Yellowstone.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi rvlover,

The fastest route will be to take Interstate 15 to Idaho Falls and then enter at West Yellowstone. With only 2 to 3 days to get there, you don't have a lot of extra time to site see on the way there. I guess you could make a litte detour from I-15 just north of St. George, Utah and take Hwy 9 thought Zion National Park. If you have a large RV then you will have to pay the $15.00 tunnel fee (fees are going up this year). Then head north on Hwy 89 and then take Hwy 12 past Bryce National Park and over the Boulder Mountains to Torrey, Utah. If you have the time take the 11 mile trip to Capitol Reef National Park. Then head north on Hwy 24 to Hwy 50 and back to I-15. This route will add at least 6 hours of driving time. More if you do any siteseeing.

We have been RVing for the last 27 years and on these kinds of trips we just head out with our Trailer Life Campgrounds, RV Parks Directory and go as many miles as we feel like and stop when we get tired. As we are driving we check the book for the campgrounds. You don't want to leave a place with a campground when you only want to drive another hour and there's no campgrounds for another 2 or 3 hours of driving!

There is a large group of RV'er over on RV.net forums and you will get a much better response over there.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Utahtea