Search

RV'n Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV'n Alaska

Wife & I arrive late on 6-27-04, head to (Great Alaska Holidays RV for the nite. Next day our plans are to stock up @ Fred Myer & head north to Talkneeka (sp?) for 2 nites, then to Fairbanks for 2, then down to Tok for 1?, west to Valdez for 2-3 then over to maybe Soldatna 2 & Homer for 2-3-4? & back to ANC on 7-12. We plan to fly down to Dog Fish Bay fish camp 13th- 17th & home to SW Florida on the 18th.We were in AK last year & went to Seward, Soldatna & Denali in a week. We want to try the RV experience & flexibility of not having to be anywhere unless we want to. At the same time we want the photo ops of scienery & wildlife. Last year on our cruise & week in AK I shot over 1300 digital images. We would also like to camp @ places where we can catch fish. We want it all! Not into hiking as I have an artificial knee & wife has 2.I have the current Milepost & AAA guide book. State Park Camping passes are no longer available so I guess we are open to any suggestions you can give us. No hookups are not a biggie if the other offerings out weigh them.I know I am asking alot but would appreciate your input . Thanks in advance for any advice. Jerry Hawkins [email protected]
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM

You have plenty of areas for scenery, but wildlife will only be by chance if you are not going to Denali Park again?? I would have reservations in campgrounds so as to not have to be there by afternoon for a level spot. Some are full all the time in season. It will be necessary to have your ferry reservations as soon as you determine your dates, oversized and over height vehicles space is limited. I would take a side trip to Kennicott rather than 2 full days in Valdez and I wouldn't overnight in Tok if you leave early from Fairbanks. Just my opinion. Your trip sounds wonderful!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:55 AM
mlw

Big Jerry, we will be doing the RV trip in late August,flying in and renting from Great Alaska Holidays for 10 days. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes. We plan to concentrate on the KP after lots of research esp. on this board. Would love to hear from others who have done this, esp. regarding KP RV sites that you especially liked (or disliked!)My husband does not care about salt water fishing or river fishing (yes,I know that is the most popular in Alaska) He would like to camp a night or two near a lake where he could do a little fishing. Anyone have any suggestions on the Kenai Peninsula?? Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM

We did the RV thing in 02 and loved the freedom of just going with the flow. I had a sketched itenerary but once we got there, we made some changes.

A great place to fish and camp is the Russian River National Forest Campground at Cooper's Landing (on the Kenai). It's the best campground we stayed in (most are parking lots) and it is next to the confluence of the Russian Kenai Rivers--great place for fishing.

The best part is you can make reservations and I HIGHLY recommend you do so.

To get away from the crowds on the river, drive across the bridge that crosses the Kenai River, park in the pull out, walk back across the bridge and look for a trail through the woods. It leads to the river and you will find only a few people, if any.

mlw, besides the above campground, we really enjoyed camping right on the shore in Seward--beautiful mountain scenery and boats and ships coming in and out of the harbor
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:38 AM

My family just returned from a week long RV trip on the Kenai. We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays, which was a great company with completely outfitted, near new, RV's. A couple things you may want to bring are eye shades to sleep, seasonings for cooking (they provide salt and pepper) and a extra dish towel or two.

We found that most privately owned RV parks with hookups are basically parking lots. However, the state parks are beautiful, offering private campsites in incredible settings, but no hook ups. I would recommend both state parks we stayed in - Porcupine, in Hope and Cooper Creek (south loop) in Cooper Landing. The first 5 sites on the right at Porcupine have sweeping views of Turnagain Arm and sites 13-19 in Cooper Creek border a rushing river to fish in. In researching our trip I also ran accross recommendations for Williwaw at Portage Glacier and Russian River Campgrond near Cooper Landing. State parks charge $10. a night (cash or check) and some take reservations.

In Seward we stayed at the Waterfront RV Park, for $25. a night which included electricity. If you are interested in electricity (to operate your microwave, plug in appliances and a/c without turning on your loud generator) only one section has electricity, those just before the shower house. It is parking lot camping but worth it when you have sea otters playing in the ocean right in front of you! In Homer we stayed at the End of the Spit campground for $25. a night. Again tight spaces but again made worth it by the eagles that inhabit the beach in front of you.

We were in Alaska the third week in May and had great weather. The days averaged in the low 60's and the nights around 40. We had two days of rain, not hard just light showers. We had cheap rain ponchos which we used for hiking on those days and they worked fine. The sunset was around 11pm and the sunrise was around 4am (hence the recommendation to bring the eye shades).We only ran accross a few mesquitos but I can imagine with the lush green vegitation in the state parks that would be a real concern as the weather warms up. We saw bears and moose along the road, and from a distance in campsites, as well as just about every marine animal, including whales, in our week on the Kenai.

I would recommend hiking just about anywhere, the forests and views are amazing. Ididaride was interesting especially if you love dogs; Kenai Fjords Tour was great; and sea kayaking in Homer. We went with St Agustines in Peterson Bay accross from Homer and had wonderful guide and experience. In Anchorage make time for biking the coastal trail - great views, not all that difficult, and lots of interesting stops along the route.

Alaska truely is an amazing place with one eye popping view after another. Enjoy you adventure!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM
mlw

Barblab, thanks for that info. Did you make reservations ahead of time for the various campgrounds? Your trip sounds very similar to what I have planned so far.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

No I did not, nor did we need, reservations anywhere we traveled on the Kenai in May. The locals said that was pretty much the case before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. From other posts I've read I would probably make reservations where I could for your Aug. trip. I know they take them at Cooper Landing and End of the Spit, but not sure about the others.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:15 AM

The Russian River National Forest Campground is the best we saw (if you like state park type vs. resort type camping). You definitely need reservations and they do take them. www.reserveusa.com

It's also a great campground if you are interested in salmon fishing. The Russian and Kenai Rivers come together there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Connie, based on one of your previous posts we had planned to stay at Russian River Campground but when we were there it was closed due to road construction on the access road. I imagine by Aug., or sooner if they are not doing the whole road, it will be open again. We did the hike to the falls from there (you could walk in to the trailhead even though the camp ground was closed).
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:40 PM

Most of the state parks do not take reservations and you do need to be there very early for level spots. I would definately reserve any private campgrounds. Walmart has free camping!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM

Barblab, sorry it didn't work out for you. I guess that's part of the trade for going early and missing the crowds.

BigJerry,

Check with the publie lands office in Anchorage (across the street from the information building) about state parks being closed. We ran into two that were closed due to budget cut backs. It wasn't a big loss since they mostly tend to be parking lots but we had driven a good ways to get to one.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Leave Sunday, any last minute suggestions?We're booked @ Allison Point Campgrounds in Valdez July 3,4,& 5th for the Pink run. Still looking for a big King!