rushed Utah park itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really could use some input on a short trip to the great state of Utah in a couple of weeks. I've been reading other itineraries and feel like we're cramming so much in so little time, but we want to see/do everything! Any comments or suggestions on this itin would be greatly appreciated, or advice on what to cut out. Also, suggestions on stops along the way to break up those long driving times would be great, too. Thanks!

June 3-Saturday
Philadelphia - Las Vegas, land at 10:00pm
June 4-Sunday
drive to Zion (Springdale, Utah) and explore the park
June 5-Monday
day exploring Zion
June 6-Tuesday
drive to Bryce -- 76 mi (about 2 hours) and explore park
June 7-Wednesday
day at Bryce/Gr. Escalante/Dixie Forest
June 8-Thursday
Drive to Moab -- 300 miles (8 hours???)
June 9-Friday
day at Arches
June 10-Saturday
day at Arches
June 11-Sunday
drive to Page, AZ -- 270 mi (about 6 hours??)
June 12-Monday (this day feels like too much)
drive from Page, AZ to North Rim -- 130 miles (about 3.5 hours)
drive from North Rim to Las Vegas -- 240 miles (about 4.5 hours)
catch a flight home just after midnight
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I would take the second day from Arches and visit the Needles section of Canyonlands instead. You're going to be rocked out by the time you're finished.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Are you married to the idea of the North Rim? We drove from Page to the South Rim in about 2 hours. Spent the day there and then the next day drove (4 hrs.) to Las Vegas. We stayed in Williams.

While you're in Page, visit Glen Canyon. You are going to buy the annual National Park Pass, right?
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Makes sense on the annual pass. We're not married to the North Rim idea but had heard if you're not hiking down to the bottom (South Rim) and don't have that long, the North Rim might be the way to go.... Thanks for the tip on Needles. Wanted to spend more time in Moab but it just doesn't seem possible this time. Utah has so much to explore during 1 vacation.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Your trip starts out good but the end is going to be way to rushed!

June 4th & 5th are good.

June 6th as you drive to Bryce you will be driving though the Red Rock Canyon of the Dixie National Forest. If you decided to spend time here, do it know instead of having to double back.

June 7: Spend you time in Bryce. You will see the Red Rock Dixie Forest on the way into Bryce. You will see Escalante-Grand Staircase on the day you drive to Moab if you take scenic Hwy 12, so no need to waste you time driving out there and back on this day.

June 8: Driving from Bryce via hwy 12 and a quick stop at Capitol Reef before reaching Moab is do-able in a day. Even though it will take 8 hours or maybe longer, you will be enjoying a very scenic route. Hwy 12 is a destination in itself.

You have both June 9th and 10th in Arches. I agree that at least part of one day should be spent in Canyonlands, but I would do the Island in the Sky District & Dead Horse State Park a little north of Moab.

June 12 is really to much. First, why Page, AZ. You really won't have much time here. On June 11, I think you would be much better off going from Moab to the South Rim and spending the night at the Grand Canyon. Then you would have the morning to see the Grand Canyon before having to drive just the 5 hours to Las Vegas. The roads into the North rim are slow and curvey and slower yet if you get stuck behind a RV.

I agree that for $50 the National Park Pass will more than pay for itself if you hit three of the national parks on your list.

Utahtea

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I agree with everything Utateah said. The route to Grand Canyon takes you through Monument Valley which will knock your socks off.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Thinking this over, we are now considering skipping the Grand Canyon on this trip altogether (maybe next year?) and heading straight out to Moab from Las Vegas the first full day; taking Rts. 15/70 so it's faster and hopefully make short stops along the way (any tips here appreciated). Can anyone let me know how long that should take? Then thinking of backtracking through all of the parks on the way back to Las Vegas, ending up in Zion so we're only 2 hours from our plane ride home.
Opinions/thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated!
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM

Las Vegas to Moab is 457 miles and since almost all of it is interstate driving it will take about 6 1/2 hours. I think working your way back to Las Vegas & skipping the Grand Canyon would be an excellent idea. You might also want to skip Lake Powell and do that the same time as the Grand Canyon trip. Just realize it's a lot closer to a 3 hour drive from Zion to Las Vegas.

Utahtea

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was looking forward to the replies. Here's what I think is the final itin: (Can anyone recommend stops along Rts. 15/70 en route to Moab?)

June 3-Saturday
Philadelphia - Las Vegas, land 10:00p
June 4-Sunday
Drive to Moab
stop at points of interest along the way
June 5-Monday
day at Arches
June 6-Tuesday
day at Arches/in and around Moab
June 7-Wednesday
drive towards Bryce
see: Goblin Valley State Park, Capitol Reef?
sleep: Torrey/Bicknell area
June 8-Thursday
drive to Bryce
stop at Grand Escalante/Dixie Forest
June 9-Friday
day at Bryce
June 10-Saturday
drive to Zion (Springdale, Utah)
June 11-Sunday
day at Zion
June 12-Monday
drive to Las Vegas - Midnight flight
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM

That itinerary looks a lot better!

On I-15 north of St. George, Utah is the Kolob section of Zion National Park. http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...b_canyons.html

On I-70 between Fremont Junction and Green River is the San Rafael Swell. Very scenic drive. Take the scenic turn outs to enjoy the views!http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...ell/index.html

We usually camp, but I think Torrey will have the better lodging and it's only 11 miles from Capitol Reef. Goblin State Park is worth an hour of your time. Try and plan on several hours at Capitol Reef...it truly is the undiscovered jem of the Utah National Parks.

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Utahtea...seems like you are the Utah expert in this forum! Your input is very valuable. Curious if you've ever met any of the Fodorites you give all this great advice to here?
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hi, NJ Girl,

I really like your second itinerary! Should work very well. Make sure you have a full tank of gas before you leave I-15 for I-70.

Also, I agreed your time is better spent seeing some of Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands. Needles is awesome, but not in the summer! Most of the scenery is on the longer hikes and it's just too hot to do a 15 mile hike in the summer.....

I was in Arches last week and it was absolutely perfect in every way. So beautiful!
Have fun!
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM

njgirl,

No, I've never meet anyone on any of the boards I've frequent (and I frequent a lot!) and I've been posting on message boards for almost 10 years now!

Sunburn1944 and I were in Yosemite at the same time last week, so there's a possiblity that our paths crossed, but we didn't know it.

Utahtea
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Utahtea,

If you and hubby plan to stop along the way....we should really plan a UT Fodorites GTG for that time! Barbara and I were thinking Antelope Island, since neither of us has been there (yet)!
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Dayle,

The only problem is we are waiting to see what the weather looks like on the day we leave to decide which area we will visit first....Yellowstone or Dinosaur National Monument so I can't even guess what day we will be in the area. We are going to be little gypsies on this trip. Go where we want, when we want. You can find my email address on my website. Email me!

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/

Utahtea

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Utahtea - thanks for sharing your website. That is the cutest grandbaby I have ever seen.

Barbara

P.S. Dayle I have to confess I have never been to Moab either!
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM

May I add a thought to your day at Arches? My husband and I have seen most parks in Utah. Just at Arches last month and we did that park in about 5 hours ( that included hiking to Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch). However, there is a ranger guided hike 4:30-7:30 and I think it is at the "Furnances"? I believe the sunset at that area is beautiful and I feel you get so much info from the rangers. We didn't know about it and we were too tired by that time. I believe you may need to sign up for that hike ahead of time. Something to consider while you are there.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM

njgirl,
Your new itinerary looks good. You're gonna love it! Definitely stay in Torrey so you can spend a little time in Capital Reef. Then you'll get to drive Rte 12 the next day - what a treat!
Arches is one of my favorite parks - lots of great hikes away from the crowds. The Tower Arch area of the park is very quiet and the hike was awesome. You can check out some of our pictures at the link below. Do you have lodging reserved yet?

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah04
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

That sunset guided hike sounds great! I'll look into that. I was hoping to do more than just explore on our own. Sharondi, thanks for sharing your pics. I can only imagine how awesome Utah must be in person. We just made our reservations - last minute I know. Here's where we're staying...any comments/alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
Best Western Greenwell - Moab
Austin's Chuck Wagon Motel - Torrey - This is family-owned and looks so Mom & Pop-ish - sounded quaint and they were so nice on the phone, too
Bryce View Lodge - Bryce
Canyon Ranch Motel - Springdale
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:07 AM

The BW Greenwell in Moab is a good - good central location in town for walking to everything. Austin's is a great place too; great price, clean & has a store on site. Check out dinner at Cafe Diablo in Torrey. I've been to Bryce several times but have never stayed overnight - next trip I will for sure. Never heard of Canyon Ranch in Springdale but I'm sure it's just fine. I love Springdale - great little town. Check out Oscar's for a good meal. We did trips to Utah in '03 & '04 but went to Colorado/NMexico last year and doing Yellowstone this fall. I really miss Utah though! Especially since I've been helping to plan my sister's August trip. You will love your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -