Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rules of the Sidewalk-NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rules-of-the-sidewalk-nyc-794035/)

Aduchamp1 Jul 6th, 2009 08:01 AM

Rules of the Sidewalk-NYC

It is time again for:

Rules of the Sidewalk

For NY’ers and Tourists

• WALK TO THE RIGHT, even if you are English or a leftist.
• Electronic device users-take one pod out of your ear and place it up your butt so you will have stereo. WATCH WHERE YOU ARE WALKING!
• Do not stop short.
• Do not do pirouettes in the middle of the street when lost.
• Do not walk five across the street as if you are playing Ringo Leevio or Red Rover, Red Rover let Fred Come Over.
• Drink your coffee at the coffee shop. The street is not a cocktail party or your cubicle, so do not hold your drink in front of you.

Cell-ibites
• SHUT UP!!!. Now we all know publicly how petty and inane you are privately.
• Do not dial the phone as you walk. Stand by the curb like a fire hydrant.
• Do not pace the street, you are not home in your jammies and slippers.
• Watch where you are going. You are on the phone, not us.

Just NY’ers
• Do not run down the street between the walkers
• Do not ride your bike down the street. I know bikers think they are elevated liv e forms but pedestrians may disagree.
• Sunday fathers-do not use your child’s stroller as a battering ram. If you are mad that you are divorced or stuck with the kids, take it on yourself not us.
• Dog walkers-try not to have the entire 20 foot lead extend across the sidewalk. Someone is going to step on your Chihuahua.

Tourists
• Look at the map either at the curb or next to a building not on a corner, the middle of the street, by garbage cans already blocking the street, or on the subway steps.
• If you must window shop do it by the windows and not from the middle of the sidewalk with binoculars.
• Jay-walking is a God given right. If you are going to wait for a light, get out of the way of those who want to break the law.
• If you are going to look up assign a designated seeing-eye tourist so others can pass.

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2009 08:32 AM

My favorite is the group of 5 or 6 that stops right in the middle of the sidewalk to take photos of one in front of something. But they don't - since there are too many other pedestrians. They just stand there clogging up the sidewalk interminably - waiting for a "celar shot".

If you must have a photo of Ethel in front of something either accept that there will be a lot of other people in it (we are NOT going to stand there for 5 minutes while you get the exact pose you want and focus) or go out and take it at 6 am when there are fewer people on the street.

Second, if you are going to ask questions about the subways do not mention color. Color is immaterial. You need to know either what train you want - A or C or 5. Or what line you want - Broadway local. Or what staion you want - Columbus Circle. Color means nothing to locals.

jroth Jul 6th, 2009 10:12 AM

For tourists: If you would like not to be seen as a tourist when on the subway stand directly in the car door so that it is difficult for those entering or exiting - you'll be just like the locals. Or - if you are seated: Cross your legs and extend your toe out into the middle of the aisle so other passengers will have to dodge around your foot or get some of the mud on your shoe on their clothing.

sf7307 Jul 6th, 2009 10:25 AM

A link to last year's thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-sidewalk.cfm

MFNYC Jul 6th, 2009 10:48 AM

Also when entering or exiting subway stairwells, don't stop at the top, middle or the bottom of the stairs for any reason. Please move away from the stairwell and off to the side somewhere, so you are out of the way of stairwell traffic.

djkbooks Jul 6th, 2009 11:30 AM

We just returned from NYC and, while walking around, I remarked to my husband that someone would probably be posting one of those "rules" posts again.

The people you're talking to/about a) won't see this, b) can't help themselves, and c) aren't aware or d) don't care.

bfrac Jul 6th, 2009 01:16 PM

LOL, these are so funny, but true.

ellenem Jul 6th, 2009 01:22 PM

The one time a police officer accused me of jay-walking, he was jay-walking with me. He thought he was funny. He was.

HowardR Jul 6th, 2009 03:09 PM

I say that life is too short for so many rules. Just do your own thing and forget about this thread!

Aduchamp1 Jul 6th, 2009 03:16 PM

I say that life is too short for so many rules. Just do your own thing and forget about this thread!

I hope you do not feel this way when you drive.

And I otherwise assume this is justifcation for engaging in many of these behaviors.

GoTravel Jul 6th, 2009 03:26 PM

Tourists: Watch the traffic and not the Walk/Don't Walk signs.

The quickest way to get run over is to cross the street during the 'Walk' light without looking at traffic.

Dayenu Jul 6th, 2009 03:34 PM

Hey, not every tourist is Crocodile Dundee ;)

Signed,
suffering San Franciscan

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2009 03:36 PM

The biggest risk crossing the street is people from outside the city to don;t understand that there is NO right turn on red. (Yes, I know, in most places you can turn right on red - but in NYC you can't.) (Local cab drivers, no matter how erratic they seem, will manage to avoid hitting people except in extremely rare circumstances - usually when hit by another car.)

I've nearly been hit several times by clueless drivers from out os state who

1) turn right directly through a red light

2) seem to think that all those pedestrians in front of them will avoid being hit by their car (pedestrians have an absolute right of way)

HowardR Jul 6th, 2009 03:40 PM

The difference is when I drive, I follow a set of government-enacted rules.
The "rules" here (and I use the word "rules" very loosely) are on the main just wishes of some that the masses would conform to a certain set of actions (or non-actions). Perhaps it is the word "rules" that I object to.
Hell, I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of good SUGGESTIONS here!

starrs Jul 6th, 2009 03:53 PM

LOL! Thanks for this thread, Adu. It brought a smile to my face, showing me that some things just never change. Thanks! :-)

BTW, I still vote with HowardR.

Aduchamp1 Jul 6th, 2009 03:57 PM

Hey, not every tourist is Crocodile Dundee

He was polite, considerate, pleasant, and fictional.

There seems to be a considerable increase in the amount of inconsiderate boobs with wires coming out of their ears and inanities from their mouths. At first it seemed linited to younger people and self-important business types but now it is every age and group.

JADSJBD Jul 6th, 2009 04:23 PM

There seems to be a considerable increase in the amount of inconsiderate boobs with wires coming out of their ears and inanities from their mouths. At first it seemed linited to younger people and self-important business types but now it is every age and group

Amen Adu! And they yell into the phone as if they are using two cans connected with string to communicate. That, and my pet peeve is the Bluetooth...all I see is Lilly Tomlin with her headset..."one ringy dingy.."

SueNYC Jul 6th, 2009 04:34 PM

If you need information - be selfish. YOU are the guest -- Start all questions with a statement that begins with the words I or WE have to need to want to are trying to do X. If you have a time constraint, say so. New Yorkers love you but we only answer 1 question and then we say, Have a Nice Day...To make the most out of your opportunity.

Way too many stories to illustrate why this is important - (If/when I'm not busy I often play 20 questions with tourists but one day...) I had a group at the SI Ferry Terminal in Manhattan and I was busy and a stranger came up and said "Where do I pay for this?" (NOTE - I is the 3rd word here) - I said, you don't - it's free - Have a nice day.

As we left the terminal in SI - The same person came up and said - How come I'm not at the Statue of Liberty and I had to say - because you didn't ask that question 1/2 an hour ago.

nstevey Jul 6th, 2009 05:34 PM

I do alot of walking, cycling, running, rollerblading and driving in NY - no Vespa for me.

No one group is worse than the other. Each group can be as badly behaved, sinister and awful as the next.

travelerfromtx Jul 6th, 2009 05:56 PM

Very funny, thanks for a good laugh! The section on Cell-ibites is so true for everywhere in America!