Rte 1 or 101 S.F. to Oceanside, Ore

Feb 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Rte 1 or 101 S.F. to Oceanside, Ore

We are looking at a July driving trip along the coast from S.F. to Ocieanside, Ore., and wondering if the scenary between S.F. and Muir along Rte 1 merits taking Rte 1 all the way or taking 101 and angling over to the coast before reaching Muir. Any recommendations a route, a great spot to have lunch and a hotel near Muir would be appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:39 AM

ttt
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM

If you have the time, the drive up Highway 1 from San Francisco north is extremely scenic and very much worth the effort to drive its twists and turns.

By "Muir" are you referring to Muir Woods National Monument or the hamlet near Willits?

HTTY
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I surely hope my driving improves between now and then. LOL. I should have said from Muir Beach to where Rte 1 joins 101 south of Eureka. We have driven the coast on Rte 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey. This drive was one highlight of our last driving trip. We have been to S.F. and don't really need to stop there this trip. We will be driving in through Salt Lake City from Atlanta and that is the reason for considering Muir Beach as a possible starting point. I guess I'm wondering if Rte 1 north between Muir Beach and where Rte 1 rejoins 101 is comparable to the southern coast drive. We love beautiful scenary and photography. Thanks for any help.
Feb 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM

What I said earlier applies. The northern stretch of Highway 1 is extremely scenic, but it has a different "atmosphere" from the drive between San Luis Obisbo and Monterey--there are more farms and towns in the north.

Allow extra driving time for the twists and turns and for highlights along the way. Were I making this drive, I would plan to spend a night in Little River or Mendocino.

Also, the drive from Rockport to Leggett is one of the most serpentine in California.
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks happytrails, with your information and other entries I've found since my initial entry, we will stick to the coast except for a few stops inland to check out some sights. Thanks again.