Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Roy's - Kauai or Honolulu? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/roys-kauai-or-honolulu-186914/)

Ann Apr 1st, 2002 01:18 PM

Roy's - Kauai or Honolulu?

My fiance and I will be spending part of our honeymoon later this month on Kauai and part in Honolulu. We want to have dinner at Roy's one night but we're not sure if one location is better than the other as far as the menu, location, atmosphere, ease of getting a reservation, etc. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Sarah Apr 1st, 2002 03:24 PM

It is my understanding that Roy's Hawaii Kai is his main restaurant. Other Roys around the world have outside chefs cooking Roy Yamaguccis signature dishes along with their own food. I also enjoy Roy's here in NYC. I suggest you go to the one on Kauai only because there are so many extraordinary restaurants on Oahu. I would go to Alan Wong's here similar style of cooking but at the moment seems to be getting more recognition.<BR><BR>I like Roy's in Hawaii Kai but I have to tell you that it is known for it's noisy environment and that is not everyone's idea of a pleasant dining experience.<BR>

Robert Apr 1st, 2002 05:26 PM

We spent 2 wks in Kauai in March.Had dinner at Roy's (Poipu) one night. Found it to be noisy and really just a very expensive family restaurant.<BR><BR>If you want some place quiet with excellent food, try Gaylords in Lihue.<BR><BR>We found the Beach House Restaurant in Poipu good as well.

Donna Apr 1st, 2002 06:21 PM

The food at Roy's on Kauai was delicious. I find a lively restaurant like Roy's much more enjoyable than a stuffy one like Gaylords. It just depends on what you are looking for.

ryan Apr 1st, 2002 06:51 PM

I'd suggest you go to the one on Kauai as that island has fewer dining options than Oahu. In Honolulu, there are many more choices.<BR><BR>I thought Roy's In Kauai was good, and I would recommend it. In Honolulu, you might want to check out Keo's in Waikiki on Kuhio Ave. Try the Evil Jungle Princess.<BR><BR>P.S. While in Kauai, I'd suggest grabbing at least a cocktail at the Princeville Resort. Their Living Room Bar has a great sunset view.

mike Apr 1st, 2002 06:53 PM

Ann, <BR>I agree with Sarah. Roy's in Kauai. More choices in Honolulu. We have eaten at Roy's Kauai 3x in last 3 years. Exceptional experience all but once. Also ate at Roy's NYC. I would definately do Roy's Kauai and order the chocolate sufley(sp?). We also ate at Alan Wong's (Honolulu) and it too was fabulous. I'd do them both again.<BR><BR>True the atmosphere in either isn't what you go for...it's the food. But, it certainly wouldn't be considered family style.<BR><BR>The Beach House on Kauai is excellent for food and atmosphere. Do dinner @ sunset.<BR><BR>Good Luck.

Brenda Apr 1st, 2002 07:51 PM

Roy's on Kauai in poorly located. It is situated in the Poipu Shopping Center and has a very poor atmosphere for the nice restaurant that it is. If atmosphere is important to you, You will be disappointed here, as people walking about the shopping center walk right by alot of the tables, no wall separating them from you if you get stuck in the tables near the outer areas. This restaurant would have such better raves if it were located elsewhere. I also agree that you should consider and try the Beach House restaurant, a short distance from Roy's and oceanfront. It is my favorite b ecause atmosphere is at least 50% of the din ing experience. Superb sunset viewing and very romantic. Food will not disappoint, either. This is the best located restaurant on the whole island of Kauai in my opinion, bar none. If you go, make reservations for the first seating, at sunset, starts seating about 5:30pm. Well worth the visit!

Patty Apr 9th, 2002 12:11 PM

Go to the original one on Oahu, you will not be disappointed. <BR><BR>On a side note, we tried the Beach House on Kauai after hearing so many rave reviews and found the food a bit disappointing. Perhaps our expectations were too high!<BR>

sss Apr 9th, 2002 12:40 PM

I have looked up the beach house also because of the view and have read that many were disappointed with the food.

Suzie Apr 9th, 2002 12:47 PM

Went to the Beach House in Sept. Had fish for dinner and Bananas Foster for dessert. It was fabulous. It seems to me that the Beach House is very uneven. Some rave about their experience some were disappointed. When we went we fully expected it to be great and it was, right down to our terrific waitress. We had such a great table in the bar area that we didn't move when it was time for our reservation. They served us our dinner in the lounge. So sad it was our last night and we couldn't go back for more. I just kept saying "I don't want to leave".....DH had to drag me out. :(

xxx Apr 9th, 2002 01:03 PM

Suzie was it a busy time for Kauai in September wonder if that means anything about quality.

Matt Raue' Apr 9th, 2002 01:13 PM

I liked all three, Gaylords, Roy's and The Beach House; but if I had to pick, it would be the Beach House. But, get up to the north side, Cafe Luna and Zelo's in Hanalei.

Suzie Apr 9th, 2002 01:20 PM

You know it's hard to say what it would have been like in a real September, we went on Sept 23rd. Lots of people were afraid to fly then and there were so many cancellations that our flights were changed and consolidated and they were still empty. The Beach House restaurant was full though and all the merchants and service people were so glad to see us then as tourism had fallen so fast. I've always gone to Hawaii in April or Sept and have never experienced the crowds that others talk about. We even stayed at the Maui Hyatt one April and it was empty. The pool waitress spent alot of her free time telling us stories of how crowded it gets, there are fights over the lounge chairs. One woman even threw another woman's stuff into the pool after she took over the lounge chair while the woman took a dip in the pool. I guess some places can get really full. Have a great time in Kauai.

Melissa Apr 10th, 2002 11:04 AM

I've been to Roy's on Oahu, Florida, Chicago, and La Jolla. All were quite enjoyable...great food and service, until recently. I found out the reason for this is that Roy's is now owned by the outback Steakhouse people and Roy no longer has anything to do with them anymore. He is currently working on a new restaurant chain that I cn't recall the name of (I think it's in Florida?).

Sarah Apr 10th, 2002 11:08 AM

Soo interesting Melissa I was in Roy's NYC last spring and I noticed a decline in food quality. Thought I had just been too many times and was loosing my enthusiasm for the price what you said totally accounts for this.<BR><BR>WELL THAT JUST MAKES ME SICK. Roy's was the one restaurant in NYC that had the Hawaiian. Now I am just stuck with Lilioukili tea (mango/black west coast import) at the Asia Society.

Sarah Apr 10th, 2002 11:09 AM

One restaurant that had the Hawaiian Influence

Patty Apr 10th, 2002 02:37 PM

I'm with Sarah here. Roy's is owned by Outback Steakhouse now??? Say it isn't so!

Hawaii Regular Apr 10th, 2002 02:53 PM

I've been to Roy's in Kauai, Oahu, Big Island and Newport Beach, and as much as I like it, if it's a choice between Roy's Kauai and The Beach House, GO TO THE BEACH HOUSE!!!

sss Apr 10th, 2002 02:54 PM

We go to these restaurants, make these people famous AND THIS IS HOW THEY REPAY US!!!!

Kat Apr 10th, 2002 02:55 PM

In Kauai, The Beach House gets my vote. Roy's comes in seconds(good food - so-so atmosphere. Sunset at the Beach House alone makes it worth the trip. Either way, make reservations for both, otherwise you'll be lucky to eat at the bar.<BR><BR>In Oahu, I second Ryan's selection - Keo's. Great Thai food, and very accomodating wait staff.